Why is my audio so choppy?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Hi can anyone help me with some directions here. my audio sounds choppy when scanning a set of freqs. can anyone tell me if this my computer or could it be the signal of the people thats talking. I'm using DSDPlus Fastlane with a i3 10gb ram laptop. Many Thanks!

Clip 1

Clip 2

Clip 3

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Could be any number of things - poor signal, interference, too much gain, not enough gain. Watch your DSDPlus console output while it's decoding and see if you're receiving many errors. Make sure your console output verbosity is not set to 0 so you can see it. Adjust your SDR's gain appropriately to help correct it. If it's a far away signal or there is interference in the way, there may be nothing to help it.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Could be any number of things - poor signal, interference, too much gain, not enough gain. Watch your DSDPlus console output while it's decoding and see if you're receiving many errors. Make sure your console output verbosity is not set to 0 so you can see it. Adjust your SDR's gain appropriately to help correct it. If it's a far away signal or there is interference in the way, there may be nothing to help it.
ok what is verbosity in dsdplus? i will look to see what it's set at. and the dsdplus console output is that in the command prompt screen or the event log screen?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
ok what is verbosity in dsdplus? i will look to see what it's set at. and the dsdplus console output is that in the command prompt screen or the event log screen?
Command prompt

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
How close are you to the tx site(s) you're bringing in? What are you using for an antenna? Is your noise floor high & how do your wave forms look? How is your gain set? Many different factors to spotty decodes

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Hi can anyone help me with some directions here. my audio sounds choppy when scanning a set of freqs. can anyone tell me if this my computer or could it be the signal of the people thats talking. I'm using DSDPlus Fastlane with a i3 10gb ram laptop. Many Thanks!

Clip 1

Clip 2

Clip 3
I had this problem. I kept moving the antenna around until things smoothened out. Antenna ended up on the windowsill 15 feet from the computer. I live 3/4ths of a mile from comms center pretty close to see signals on the repeater input frequencies.

If you are nearby tall buildings, then the signals suffer diffraction and refraction. That's not nice for digital. Have to get the antenna positioned in the right spot. That requires doing it by ear. Don't be surprised if the cleanest decodes from where the antenna ends up in a spot you don't want the antenna.

More on diffraction and refraction: