Wifi Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsbuss

I'm wondering if it will be possible to stream a feed to Broadcastify via the 536 wifi? I know no one really knows, but it would eliminate the PC interface all together.

NRL88

Streaming Via WiFi on 536

I actually have my 536 streaming via WiFi only to my feed on Broadcastify. Download VLC media player and enter your scanners IP address then keep that running. Then I open Radiofeed and it works perfect.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I actually have my 536 streaming via WiFi only to my feed on Broadcastify. Download VLC media player and enter your scanners IP address then keep that running. Then I open Radiofeed and it works perfect.

Now I for one would like to know just how you got that to work.

NRL88

First

Go to http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate and follow the directions to update your WiFi dingle and scanner.. Connect your scanner to your home internet and make sure the broadcasting computer is on the same network. Open VLC media player and go to "Media". Select "open network stream" and get that running. Then open Radiofeed and you should see the volume bars move as audio comes across.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Go to BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki and follow the directions to update your WiFi dingle and scanner.. Connect your scanner to your home internet and make sure the broadcasting computer is on the same network. Open VLC media player and go to "Media". Select "open network stream" and get that running. Then open Radiofeed and you should see the volume bars move as audio comes across.

All I get is the audio to the speakers. Radio Feed and Proscan both look for audio on an input device like MIC or Line IN. Radio feed shows no audio input running VLC.

I tried Radio Feed Using both Source Client and Web server as input and NOTHING shows.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
All I get is the audio to the speakers. Radio Feed and Proscan both look for audio on an input device like MIC or Line IN. Radio feed shows no audio input running VLC.

I tried Radio Feed Using both Source Client and Web server as input and NOTHING shows.

VLC is outputting to either your speakers or "default audio device". RadioFeed is looking for input on something else, probably "line in". This is a case of telling either VLC to output to a different place or RadioFeed (or Windows) to look for audio in a different place, or both.

It's actually Windows that generally determines what audio is passed to a "recording" program (or streaming programs like RadioFeed). Right-click on the speaker icon in your system tray and choose "Recording devices". Depending on your sound card, you will see something like "Speakers", "Stereo Mix", or "What U Hear" or something like that as an option. Right click on that and "Set as Default Device". Click OK on all the open windows, restart both VLC and RadioFeed, and you should be streaming from RadioFeed's "Source" tab.

(You might be able to bypass all this by just changing the "Input Sound Device" on your "Source" tab to the speakers (or above named) settings. I've never tried it without setting Windows up first.)

The downside of all this is that you will be streaming everything that comes out of your computer's speakers, including Windows' various beeps, dings, and bonks, and potentially your microphone too if it is enabled. The former is a nuisance to your listeners, the latter is actually a TOS violation IIRC. So it is probably better to have VLC send to a different place other than Speakers, and have RadioFeed listen on that.

A (relatively) easy way to do that is to install a virtual audio cable. There is a program called exactly that, which creates an extra audio port in software on your computer. Once that's installed, you would go into VLC and in the "Audio" menu, under "Audio Device", choose "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)". Then you would configure RadioFeed (or Windows, as above) to listen on the same port. You won't hear the audio on your computer, unless you select the "Listen" option in the audio properties (right-click on speaker, as above).

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if it will be possible to stream a feed to Broadcastify via the 536 wifi? I know no one really knows, but it would eliminate the PC interface all together.

Streaming directly from the BCD536HP to Broadcastify without a PC? It's not possible. There's not a section in the scanner where you enter the mountpoint, URL, & password. Besides Broadcastify uses IceCast servers which needs mp3 audio streams and uses the TCP protocol. Audio out of the scanner is G.711 audio format and uses the RTSP protocol.

Last edited:

NRL88

Streaming Via WiFi on 536

Streaming directly from the BCD536HP to Broadcastify without a PC? It's not possible. There's not a section in the scanner where you enter the mountpoint, URL, & password. Besides Broadcastify uses IceCast servers which needs mp3 audio streams and uses the TCP protocol. Audio out of the scanner is G.711 audio format and uses the RTSP protocol.

No, you need a computer but I am streaming via WiFi from my 536 to Radiofeed and the dedicated computer via WiFi. I have the 536 connected to my home WiFi and my computer hardwired plus connected WiFi to my home wireless. I was hearing audio via the speakers on the dedicated computer but after I had the scanner connected to the VLC player an option came up on Radiofeed under "Input Sound Device" a option came up "Stereo Mix". Yes the sound will play the sound over the speakers but a way around that is plugging a pair of old headphones or something that will make the computer think it's headphones and that will stop you from hearing the audio on the computer but will still feed it also still play it over the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.