• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

wilson 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambobill

Ok... im getting ready to install a roof mount wilson 1000 on a jeep grand cherokee.. i have a sun roof an thetes a electrical thing mounted in the cener under headliner. does the antenna have to be dead center on the roof for best ground plane? Or can it be back a few inches from the center? also i doubt ill use all the coax so should i run as much as i can between roof and headliner or string it along all over the vehicle (down pillars an under dash)

stonestatue

I have that same antenna installed in a conversion van (did the installation myself). Center is ideal, but not required. The most important thing to keep in mind is counterpoise. Make sure the antenna is well grounded and that there is metal underneath it, which I assume will be the case with your particular installation. Also, I recommend getting an SWR meter to properly tune the antenna before you consider the installation "finished". I did all this and the SWR readings were near perfect. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

N5JCJ

Premium Subscriber
As far as you not using all of the coax cable, I would recommend routing the cable to the the radio. Cut off any excess and solder a PL-259 connector onto the cable to hook to your radio. That will help keep your SWR's lower. It's not necessary to cut the cable and re-solder, but just a thought so you don't have all of the unused cable strung all over the place.

RiverRat1976

As far as you not using all of the coax cable, I would recommend routing the cable to the the radio. Cut off any excess and solder a PL-259 connector onto the cable to hook to your radio. That will help keep your SWR's lower. It's not necessary to cut the cable and re-solder, but just a thought so you don't have all of the unused cable strung all over the place.

You can mount the antenna pretty much anywhere you wish. The Wilson 100 is "tunable" and the old saying of "ground plane" does not apply these days to tunable antennas. The ground plane thing went out the window when fiberglass and 102" whip antennas became a thing of the past.

As for the extra cable, do not cut it off, wrap it in a circular coil about 5-6" diameter and zip tie the coil together. This will create an RF Loop and helps to keep noise and SWR low. Make use of the additional cable, if you have it, make it benefit you.

sdeeter19555

I have a Wilson 5000 mounted far rearward on a Subaru Outback wagon, and while not ideal (the SWR is higher than I like it at 1.4:1; it has worked flawlessly for over 5 years.

My main installation hindrance was the luggage rails they place directly on the roof (not the roof rack itself, but the anti scuff rails).

LtDoc

"the old saying of "ground plane" does not apply these days"
Oh really? I think you might re-think that, or maybe re-state it. Otherwise, it is so wrong. :)
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Cut off any excess and solder a PL-259 connector onto the cable to hook to your radio. That will help keep your SWR's lower."

Then this:
"As for the extra cable, do not cut it off, wrap it in a circular coil about 5-6" diameter and zip tie the coil together. This will create an RF Loop and helps to keep noise and SWR low."

Both wrong, if you want low swors and a signal that travels at the speed of light this is what you need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.