Win 10 fighting a video card

ind224

Windows 10 current and working Optiplex 3010 business machine GTX 1060 3GB. The machine as it is handles all seven windows of ABC on SES2 via a satellite card while watching the Cubs win. I only need the GPU to get 4 extended monitors, no gaming or processing issues. The card requires 6 pin power which my supply does not have but research says a stand alone supply should work fine. Before adding power not knowing it needed the 6 pin and prior to a UEFI redo which the GPU apparently requires, I would get a screen prompt that would say power the GPU and nothing else like it detects the GPU. GPU has a red light when not powered and white when powered. Still not detected once the OS is up (power the card message is like a DOS prompt) and bios shows no way to disable onboard video. Nvdia tech looked at my system data and suggested an "incompatibility" but could not pinpoint anything. Others have done this mod with a caveat about the case size, I have the two fan version and it fits. I jumper the other power supply to get it to run and have tried GPU power before starting the computer and after with same result only onboard video showing and with no GPU detected, the driver nor the GeForce Experience bundle install.
I have not tried safe mode and the Nvidia tech did not suggest it. Maybe? Nothing else I can think of other than my typical luck. Maybe dead GPU even with the light on and fans running? Ty

a417

How are you providing off-board power to the 6pin on the 1060?

ind224

I have a separate power supply that has the correct 6 pin connector feeding just the GPU. GPU is still plugged into MB slot and does a red light until power is applied via the 6 pin connector then the light turns white. I do have to jumper a green and black wire on the MB connector for the GPU only supply for it to start; if I power down the comp via case switch it will shut off both supplies.
Friday I cloned the OS to a Samsung EVO 870 1T SSD due to to very sluggish HD I was fortunate to catch before a total fail. It had one bad sector but was only showing 4KB in that sector. I have not tried the GPU since the SSD install but I might have time try it again today (Sunday). I had also tried different slots and moved my sat card to other slots to confirm at least something working in each slot. The sat card is happy w just MB slot power.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
FWIW, In my own experience, I've found Dell business (Optiplex) motherboards to be hit or miss with accepting a graphics card, especially ones that need more than X number of watts or additional power delivery from a Power Supply. Their specs on PCIe slots are not always the typical motherboard spec, and usually don't/can't deliver the 75 watts that PCIe 3 is supposed to provide, even with a beefier power supply connected to the board. In the past, I would just suggest to connect the better power supply to the motherboard, but seems like Dell (and others) don't even use the standard ATX (or newer ATX12VO) pin layout for their power supplies to power their motherboards, even if the socket looks the same.

For a while, (while I was hurting) I had to clobber together an older Core2Quad Optiplex with an power supply dangling, laying on its side, slow POS mechanical drives, and had some random firepro card in it so I could run multiple displays. It wasn't pretty, and had similar woes to you, with the card randomly just not working. I was glad to finally build a new PC and GPU again with things that were spec'd to work together, and warranties on individual parts so I'll know I'll atleast get that many years out of it.

ind224

A proper (or overkill) single 750w supply feeding both the rail and the GPU, problem solved. The GPU automatically installed never had to fight bios or look in device manager.
ADS-B Exchange on a dedicated 52" makes me say Giggity!!
Thanks for the help!!