WIN500 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd901

Not sure if a software or scanner problem. Whenever I import a new group from RR it deletes the other groups in the Radio Shack PRO 106

DonS

It sounds like you're importing from RadioReference into a new, empty file in Win500, then uploading that data to the scanner. This will definitely delete anything that was already in the scanner, since the "upload" process is a complete overwrite of the scanner's contents.

You need to get the scanner's current data into Win500 first, then import new data from RR (or enter it yourself), then upload the result to the scanner.

misterdk

I'm thinking of buying the Win500 software to use with my PSR500 scanner. I'm not real happy with the lack of detailed support that's available for the ARC500 s/w I've been using. I stumbled on this thread and I just want to clarify what DonS wrote.
So....if my radio was pre-programmed with Philadelphia county (by ScannerMaster) and I just downloaded Montgomery county from RR.......if I just tried to upload Montgomery county to the scanner....it would wipe out the Philadelphia county info that's in the scanner?? Scary!
So then, each time I download something from RR I need to dump the radio into Win500 first, then "add" the new county to the software and THEN upload all to the scanner. Is that correct? Thanks.

DonS

I'm thinking of buying the Win500 software to use with my PSR500 scanner. I'm not real happy with the lack of detailed support that's available for the ARC500 s/w I've been using. I stumbled on this thread and I just want to clarify what DonS wrote.
So....if my radio was pre-programmed with Philadelphia county (by ScannerMaster) and I just downloaded Montgomery county from RR.......if I just tried to upload Montgomery county to the scanner....it would wipe out the Philadelphia county info that's in the scanner?? Scary!
Yes. That's a function of the scanner, and would happen with any software.
So then, each time I download something from RR I need to dump the radio into Win500 first, then "add" the new county to the software and THEN upload all to the scanner. Is that correct?
If you're making changes on the scanner, then you'd have to do that. However, if your only changes are within the software on the PC, then you can just save a file on the PC. When you later make changes, you'd load that file (which reflects the scanner's current contents), make your changes, save the file, and upload to the scanner.

throck

Premium Subscriber
I have the combination you are talking about, Win500 and the PSR-500 and the solution is to save the settings to your PC's hard disk.

So you could dump the radio contents to Win500, save the Win500 to disk using any name you want to call the save file. It will save the file to the same folder that Win500.exe lives in. Then you can download another county to Win500, make whatever changes you want, save it to disk again, then upload to PSR-500. This will upload everything, and it is all saved on your PC's disk for backup or to start a new addition to your existing data.

BTW, the Win500 has no help or complete documentation, sounds like that is standard for the territory of scanner software. The forums are their chosen approach to a help desk, ie. do it yourself.

Regards, Throck.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
DK, What I do when I want to add another county or more freqs, is create a copy of what is already in the scanner as a new template and then add to that. This way I will have the info from before nice, neat and clean. The win500 software becomes somewhat intuitive after playing with it a few times. As long you use a new template for your practice sessions, the previously inputed information will remain safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.