Win500Client - PocketPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

1. No support.
2. Works like a stripped-down version of the PC version of Win500Client
3. Control of scanner not yet implemented Now it is
4. It is presumed that you know how to download a .CAB file, put it on your phone, and "install" it
5. No support

Requirements:
1. PocketPC device running Windows Mobile 5.0 or later
2. QVGA (240x320) display size, minimum
3. A network connection on the phone (ActiveSync, WiFi, a cellular data plan, etc)
4. .NET Compact Framework 3.5. If you don't have it, you can download/install it from Microsoft

Minimalist instructions:
1. Download the .CAB file
2. Copy the .CAB file to your PocketPC device
3. Install the .CAB file (i.e. by "clicking" on it in File Explorer on the PocketPC)
4. Run "Win500Client" from the Programs menu

This release is the result of some "goofing around" this past weekend with some new development tools. My "day job" has some pretty hectic deadlines approaching, so I won't be able to spend much time adding new features, fixing any found problems, etc. (this is why there is currently "no support"!).

This version has only been tested on an HTC Touch Pro and an HTC 6800 ("Mogul"). It has also been tested on a PPC "emulator" running WM5.0. The attached image is how it looks on my Touch Pro...

Attachments

• Cap1.jpg
    Cap1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:

TES

. . . Makes me wish my HTC Mogul had a better speaker. . .

Try the Mini-USB stereo headset that I think comes with the Mogul. Should make a big differfence and you'll truly be in stealth mode. My one complaint with Mr. Starr's latest creation is that I'm probably going to have to invest in a larger battery.:D

I had v 0.1 loaded this mornbing and this afternoon the fully-functioning v1.0.

Thanks Don!

smason

Try the Mini-USB stereo headset that I think comes with the Mogul. Should make a big differfence and you'll truly be in stealth mode. My one complaint with Mr. Starr's latest creation is that I'm probably going to have to invest in a larger battery.:D

I had v 0.1 loaded this mornbing and this afternoon the fully-functioning v1.0.

Thanks Don!

Yeah, gonna do that, and use an ext spkr in the car. Ticks me off that they didn't put a standard headphone jack on the Mogul.

DonS

Version 1.01: added items to "Settings" dialog that let you control some color settings
Version 1.02: added volume/mute control - accessed by cycling through "keys" (bottom-left menu item on main page)

smason

I'm happy to report it works great on my Dell Axim X51v, which will come out of retirement and sit on my bedside table for late night scanning.

P.S. love the volume and mute feature!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have a Pocket PC that only runs Pocket PC 2003; it's not upgradeable to WM 5.0. But PPC2003 does support the compact framework 3.5, so I may give this a try.

DonS

I have a Pocket PC that only runs Pocket PC 2003; it's not upgradeable to WM 5.0. But PPC2003 does support the compact framework 3.5, so I may give this a try.

What I worry about with anything prior to WM5 is how some of the base Windows functions are made available to applications. For example: audio output and initialization of communications. Those two specifically are not done within .NET, and accessing them may not be the same on PPC versions prior to WM5.

However, I doubt you can hurt anything by giving it a try.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
For example: audio output and initialization of communications. Those two specifically are not done within .NET
Ahhh, I was wondering if there was any unmanaged code. (I never did any real mobile device development, other than the "hello world" equivalent, and always wondered how much support the mobile framework provides.)

Anyway, I'll try it; this is a spare play device. I have to dig it out :) , charge it, and I still have to apply the WEP to WPA upgrade, but I will eventually get to it.

DonS

Ahhh, I was wondering if there was any unmanaged code. (I never did any real mobile device development, other than the "hello world" equivalent, and always wondered how much support the mobile framework provides.)

Yes, there's a little unmanaged code. I tried to keep it to a minimum, but there were some things I just couldn't do within fully-managed .NET code (at least, the "Compact" version). Before I added "those things", the same .EXE file would run on both the PPC and my Vista64 machine - it was kind of cool seeing Microsoft's CLR in action.

This is actually my first Windows Mobile app (apart from trying the "hello world" app a few years ago within an emulator). I only wrote it because I needed to get familiar with a new development environment for an upcoming project, and figured I may as well spend that time and effort writing something that's at least a little bit "worthwhile".

guitarbrian30

Don I would have to say you are THE MAN!!

I love the 96 and 500 programs use it all the time :) excellent job.

Stay Focused on your job! Keep motivated on your hobbies! You are totally the man with a gift!

We all understand deadlines!! Thanks again!

DaWeav

Can we get a Java Mobile 'J2ME' remote client next please?

What we really need to support most all mobile phone's is a J2ME (Java Mobile) version of the remote client in the form of a Java Archive file (a.k.a. .JAR) file. Then, all of us Samsung Instinct, iPhone, and probably even Blackberry Storm owners should be able to do this too. :wink:

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
How About a Palm Version?

I'm new to all this "smart phone" stuff, so while everyone is eyeballing this thread, maybe some of you smarter people can make this work for my Palm Centro. I know it's a completely different OS, but I know some of you love a challenge.

Don, keep up the great work. I have been a fan of yours since Win95.

Status
Not open for further replies.