Win97 HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JNW

Ok guys. I have just recently bought my copy of Win97, and installed it successfully.

I also went to RadioShack and picked up my Pro-97 programming cable with software. I assume I installed the driver for the USB successfully also, because during the install, my computer showed me a couple files that were "installed".

Anxious to try Win97, I loaded up a couple local frequencies and saved the Win97 file. I plugged up the cable to my USB, and then to my scanner.

The scanner display now reads "**CLONE MODE** Press UP to send Remove cable to exit."

Ok, So I click on "Scanner" and then "Upload to scanner" on the Win97 program up at the top. A box pops up, that says "Writing to Scanner". Inside the box, it displays "Initializing" for a second, and then "Writing Data" for a second.

Then, another box pops up that reads "Expected to read back the data we just wrote - This failed, make sure the COM port is connected" or something..

What is going wrong? Have I not installed the USB drivers right? Please HELP!!

RayK

Hi ,what a lot of people don't realize is the user manual for the usb cable is on the CD along with the drivers, it explains step by step on how to set up the cable.In your control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager ,need to check which com port is assigned to usb controller . The manual explains it all .

N4JNW

Got the problem fixed.. Turns out it was something in the device manager..

Please close/delete sonce I'm good to go now! Thanks everyone!!

gcgrotz

I'm still trying to get mine to work. So the instructions on the sheet are different from the CD. Thats why I hate RS.

I installed mine correctly I think but when I tell Win97 to use Com Port 5 (as listed in device manager) the computer instantly reboots.

I'm going to uninstall and try again using the instructions on the CD.

EDIT: OK I used the instructions on the CD and let XP install it. It ran through once and seemed to work ok, then it started new hardware found all over again and the rebooted. I then used device manager to fix the driver and now it seems to work OK. I was able to connect Win97 using Com Port 5 and downloaded from the scanner.

Time to get to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.