Winter - CalFire - North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
My only remaining major question regards work schedules. In the summer, are the engines staffed by people who work 48 hour shifts? Maybe they work 2 days on - 4 days off?

Peter Sz

The standard state work schedule for fire-control staff is a 72-hour work week. Three days on, four days off. Some battalion chiefs have a different schedule, and fire prevention officers and admin captains have a very weird 4-day rotation that equals 72 hours in a week, but uses a couple 24's, a 12, and a 10 or two. But all fire suppression staff work 72's.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
This is drifting off the issue of this thread, but I wonder if military fire departments have mutual aid agreements where they respond off base. A good example of this situation would be if Vandenberg responds to fires in Lompoc.

The only bases I can speak of from personal experience are Beale AFB and MCB 29 Palms (now MCAGCC). Beale will respond off base upon a mutual aid request with the specific equipment requested. They generally try to remain immediately adjacent to the federal reservation, but they have responded significant distances for major incidents. I THINK they will also respond on strike teams, but I do not know that for certain.

MCB 29 (this information is dated, circa 1990) was an active mutual aid provider for the 29 Palms Fire Department, and indeed the whole Morongo Basin. They responded auto-aid with 29P to calls between what is now the City of 29 Palms and the base. They responded mutual aid to anything in the valley, as far away as Yucca Valley and into the Joshua Tree National Park.

That's all I know... LOL

cousinkix1953

The Felton ECC is staffed year round. They also dispatch for the Cal-Star choppers in the area. CAL-FIRE crews also staff some of the rural fire stations. Calls go out on their own channel as well as the county fire red channel; but they use different call signs on each.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Lets see if I can draw up a list of fire agencies in California.

Structural fire protection sorted by area protected

City - protected by city Fd or county fpd or by calfire or by a fire district

Unincorporated areas - protected by county fd or fire district or CalFire or

State parks and state forests - protected by CalFire

Federal buildings in unincorporated areas - protected by contact or by federal agency fd

State facilities - protected by facility fd or calfire or contract agency

================================

Wildfire protection sorted by area protected

National Forests or federally owned wildlands - protected by federal wildfire agency or contract agency or agency FD (military etc)

State responsibility areas - protected by CalFire or agency under contract to CalFire - this would be all non federal wildland outside of cities

City responsibility areas - wildland in citys - either protected by City FD or agency on contract (maybe CalFire or County FD)

Sorry I am rushing this - gotta go

Status
Not open for further replies.