Wireles server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumnjim

I am sure this has been answered before but I am too frustrated to search for it. I have a computer that is connected wirless to a linksys router using the WIN500 software. I want to set up a server but no one can connect through the internet......I can connect from my desktop but that is running through the same router. If anyone can I help it would be greatly appreciated.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Go into your router...

http://192.168.1.1

Username: blank (leave it blank, don't type anything)
Password: admin

Go into the port forwarding section, and direct that port (i believe it is 26755) to the computers LAN IP Address.

Patch42

Go into the port forwarding section, and direct that port (i believe it is 26755) to the computers LAN IP Address.
This could be problematic if the computer is set up to use DHCP, which it probably is. The assigned IP address may change.

The better solution depends on whether Win500 uses UPnP. I took a quick look at the web site and couldn't find anything concerning this. If it does, configure the router to allow UPnP (which gives applications control over port forwarding) and you're done. If it doesn't, you should configure your computer to use a static IP address and then do the port forwarding to that address. (How to do this correctly is a conversation I don't have time for at the moment.)

If this one computer is the only one to ever access the router, you'll probably be okay doing just the port forwarding like K8TEK described, but it might stop working at some point. Then you'd have to go back to the router and change the port forwarding.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't know if linksys routers will do static leases with factory firmware or not, but that is another option.

Walking him thru setting up a static ip address shouldn't be too hard. The hardest part would be walking him thru the DNS servers, and he could always use opendns.

Status
Not open for further replies.