• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wireless bridge not linking repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Good day everyone. I am having a problem with my 2 linked repeaters I have done for a client. The 2 repeaters are to be linked together with Ubiquiti airMAX AC5 radios. Here is the overview of everything:

Site:
Repeater 1: Kirisun DR600, 4-stack folded dipole with highest dipole at 58m; Link 1: Ubiquiti airMAX AC5, 30dBi antenna @ 65m
Repeater 2: Kirisun DR600, 4-stack folded dipole with highest dipole at 58m; Link 2: Ubiquiti airMAX AC5, 30dBi antenna @ 65m

Settings:
Repeater 1: ID - 1001, CC - 01, Beacon interval - 600s, Beacon duration - 3000ms, Static IP, Local IP - 192.168.1.1, Gateway IP - 192.168.1.1, Set as Master, Listening port - 50000, Slot 1 as wide with ID 0, Slot 2 as wide with ID 1
Link 1: Set as AP, Bridge, PTP, ACL with Link 2 MAC entered, SSID - LINK, password - LINK, Channel spacing - 20MHz, Centre frequency - 5580MHz, IP - 192.168.1.112, Primary DNS - 192.168.1.1, Secondary DNS - 192.168.1.2,

Repeater 2: ID - 1002, CC - 01, Beacon interval - 600s, Beacon duration - 3000ms, Static IP, Local IP - 192.168.1.2, Gateway IP - 192.168.1.1, Set as Peer, Listening port - 50001, Slot 1 as wide with ID 0, Slot 2 as wide with ID 1
Link 2: Set as base station, Bridge, PTP, Locks onto Link 1 MAC, SSID - LINK, password - LINK, Channel spacing - 20MHz, Centre frequency - 5580MHz, IP - 192.168.1.113, Primary DNS - 192.168.1.1, Secondary DNS - 192.168.1.2,

Both repeaters have the following table in them:
IDIP addressPort
1001192.168.1.150000
1002192.168.1.250001

My issue comes in that when I log into the Link radios it shows me that they see each other and getting speeds of about 20Mbps and their signal is about 12db above the noise floor. These links are about 50km apart. When I key up Repeater 1 it doesn't cause Repeater 2 to transmit and visa verca.
This repeater site is about 1100km away from me so traveling up to do maintenance is very time consuming and I would like to have this all sorted and working for my client.
Does anyone know what settings I should look at changing to get the link to work correctly? I have to place a platform 10m off the ground to reach the repeater enclosure so it is a timely en devour and I would like to know what to troubleshoot so that I set up the the platform at each site as few times as possible. The repeaters are to just transmit voice as they don't use the data feature of their DMR radios and share the repeater with an anti-poaching unit hence both slots being on wide.
 

RFI-EMI-GUY

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2013
Messages
8,568
Reaction score
6,000
You didn't stage the equipment all in one place before installing it? Could the local TX be interfering with the microwave radio?
 

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to. They already had Repeater 1 up and we added another plus the link. It worked briefly when the Tx power of Link 1 was set to 30dBm due to region settings but they link was unreliable. 1 sentence would come through clearly then it would stutter or not activate at all. There was only about a 2 dB difference between the noise floor and received power. I reset Link 1 and changed the output to get the roughly 12db difference between received signal and noise.
In our experience we've found that if antennas on the same mast are about 6m apart there is little to no interference. The only test I can do without removing the repeater is attempting to read Repeater 2 from the Repeater 1 site using the link
 

jeepsandradios

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
2,725
Reaction score
2,076
Location
East of the Mississippi
My thought is your repeater is interfearing with the links. Are you using sheilded cable to the links ? Have you run ethernet tests on the links while both repeaters are up ?
 

buddrousa

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
15,019
Reaction score
10,891
Location
Retired 40 Year Firefighter NW Tenn
How far are the Repeaters from each other?
This was tried with a 5 UHF site Simulcast System in a County near me Distance and Line of Site was a big problem the other problem was LAG Latency. They ended up putting T1 links in at all sites.
 

Cameron314

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
305
Reaction score
171
Also just post what model of link radio you are using. Is that a Rocket with a 30dbi dish? Post some screen shots of the dashboard gui. Sounds like you don't have a good link.
 

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
To answer as many questions as possible:
@jeepsandradios
The cable for the links are Linkbasic Shielded UV protected Cat5e Cable
The cable for the Repeater is LMR400
I have not run any ethernet tests. I am not all too familiar with setting up and testing networks. Next time I am up I will ping Link 2 from Link 1.

@buddrousa
These links are isolated from the internet and in all videos and tutorials I found with regards to this topic it wasn't said to put the repeaters as the DNS but it also wasn't something wrong to do.
The links are Ubiquiti UISP airMAX Rocket Prism AC 5GHz with Ubiquiti UISP airMAX 5GHz 30dBi Light Weight Dish Antenna


The link distance is ~52km and they have clear line of site to one another. My commute to the site to do the adjustments to get the links to work is ~1100km.

Any LAG latency isn't a serious issue. The radios are used to communicate on if there are any issues while taking guests out or such. The total talk time per day maybe amounts to 1 hr a day.

Will post what screenshots I have tomorrow when I am back in the office with the laptop I used on site
 

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
1 - The radio shops here all use LMR400 for their client's repeaters and their own and have no issues with interference or noise in the signals.
2 - I understand it is far but as far signal propagation goes all of the simulations I have done the links receive a good strength signal
3 - Help can come from anywhere and I felt my issue may be with IP configuration. Anyone who has fiddled with it may have had a similar issue to me so no harm in asking
4 - I am consulting them as well

I really do appreciate the responses and the direction I am being given to try fix this/get it working. All systems I have worked on have been analog and luckily no linking required. This is my 1st DMR system and linked system so it is quite the learning curve for me
 

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
This was the link at ~32dBm EIRP and 10MHz spacing where it would trigger the repeater but not always consistently
 

Attachments

  • firefox_gN45JxL1IW.png
    firefox_gN45JxL1IW.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 39

kf8yk

Member
Joined
May 3, 2003
Messages
929
Reaction score
644
This was the link at ~32dBm EIRP and 10MHz spacing where it would trigger the repeater but not always consistently

Your microwave link is only a few dB above the noise floor, I'm not surprised it's unreliable.

You need to design for at least 20 dB or more of margin. -60 to -50 dBm receive is typically what a AirMAX radio wants to see.
 

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Your microwave link is only a few dB above the noise floor, I'm not surprised it's unreliable.

You need to design for at least 20 dB or more of margin. -60 to -50 dBm receive is typically what a AirMAX radio wants to see.
That was the first time I had set up the links and in the UISP dashboard under Advanced Settings in the Network tab I believe it had auto calculate EIRP. I removed that and was able to set it higher but I also changed the channel spacing so I'm not sure what may have caused it to not work at all with a stronger signal. Next time I am up there I will be changing the spacing back to 10MHz
 

Calrad

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Good luck I am sure having setup Emergency 2way Equipment I do not know anything.
I use AC's on a Regular basis.
I am sorry but it is foolish to use LMR400 on Repeaters.
Microwave links are most of the time 100 feet separation between dish and TX Antenna.
I am not doubting your knowledge or experience. Our standards are less stringent than yours and aside for the mobile service providers I doubt any client here (private farms, neighbourhood watches, farming communities) would use anything expensive unless absolutely necessary. I will definitely look into moving the Link Dish higher as that could be issue.

We are in Africa if that makes a difference
 

Project25_MASTR

Monitoring
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
4,843
Reaction score
1,436
Location
Texas
You only need to set your IP address, subnet mask and ports. Gateway and DNS are not relevant for what you are doing and can be left blank. If you add a router to your setup later on you will want the gateway to be set to the router's IP.

As far as your link goes…you've got roughly 137 dB of path loss that needs to be overcome if I recalled the path loss formula correctly. Your link budget should allow a decent SNR (25-30 dB) if your dishes are properly aligned and your radio is transmitting closer to 20 dBm. Looks like it's transmitting at 2 dBm and you are seeing more loss than you should (which suggests misalignment or path obstruction). This link is very similar to one I setup with Rocket M5's a decade ago in West Texas and was able to pull 78 Mbps each way on 20 MHz (you need kbps for this link to function but your SNR isn't strong enough to currently allow for the link maintaining it's connection).
 

Cameron314

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
305
Reaction score
171
This was the link at ~32dBm EIRP and 10MHz spacing where it would trigger the repeater but not always consistently
This is the problem.

Until you get that in the 60's don't even worry about the other issues.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top