Wireless yagi setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaitkeeper

Is it possible to set up an indoor yagi antenna for a Whistler 1080 that's wireless so I don't have to run a cable to my scanner. Similar to wifi. Yagi to some kind of local in home signal my scanner can pick up?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Not completely a "No".... but there is a "wireless" antenna that will likely not fit your need. It's called a "passive repeater" and consists of two antennas.... one outside the building (or vehicle) and the other inside. The two antennas are coupled directly or with some very low-loss connection such as a short run of high quality coaxial cable. In their simplest form, they are made for cellphone signal enhancement in vehicles. Usually through-the-glass antenna coupler with one larger antenna outside the vehicle and the other antenna re-radiating the signal inside the vehicle.
Passive repeaters can also consist of a high-gain directional Yagi antenna mounted outside a building, with a short run of coax to another antenna inside the building. If all you listen to is a single site / direction in a single frequency range (e.g. 800 mHz) this might work for you. Your scanner would need to be very close to the relatively weak signal coming from the passive repeater antenna that is inside the building. And if you are going to take the trouble to build a passive repeater "wireless antenna" setup, why not just put up an outdoor antenna and run the wire to the scanner?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
It's technically possible.. Sirius satellite radio offered a wireless remote antenna. (Called the Echo antenna).

It has an antenna that receives the 2.3 Ghz signal from the satellites, That goes to a box that downconverts it to 900 Mhz and then re-transmits it. The 900 Mhz signal is received by another box that upconverts it back to 2.3 Ghz and then feeds it into a Sirius radio. It's essentially a repeater.

But, this is the only system of this type I've ever heard of.. You won't find anything like it for general scanning.

wtp

popnokick

thanks, i was trying to remember the name of this.
he might be able to "park" the radio next to the inside antenna and hope for the best.
he might be trying not to have to change antennas kind of thing.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The problem is that the bandwidth of the wireless signal would need to be equal to to the bandwidth you want to scan. So if you want to scan UHF (400-520MHz), your wireless signal would have to be 120MHz wide. If you wanted to scan VHF (136-174MHz), you'd have to add another 38MHz to your wireless signal bandwidth, for a total of 158MHz. And every additional band you want to scan just makes the problem worse. There's also the issue of doing 2 conversions of the radio signals, which is going to reduce analog audio quality and digital garbles.

The only way you could do that without violating every FCC rule in existence would be to run the "wireless" signal through a cable or fiber optic link. Which brings you back to simply running a cable from the antenna to the scanner.

So anyway, the short answer to the OP's question is no. The long answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

gaitkeeper

Well....that sounds expensive, complicated (for my very limited knowledge of radio comm) and overkill to eliminate in-house wiring. I appreciate the replies. I'll probably run it wired. I've considered putting the yagi in my attic and running the cable down my wall. I'm also trying to pick up a simulcast signal so I've got my work cut out for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.