WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
When looking at the freqs in the Wiscom database is it possible to tell which is the primary control chan and which are the alternate control chans?

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
When looking at the freqs in the Wiscom database is it possible to tell which is the primary control chan and which are the alternate control chans?
Back in ye olden days (Pre-COVID) it used to be marked red for primary and blue for secondary, and alternates had an "a" appended to them instead of a "c". Not sure when or why they changed it, but typically whatever one comes up is the primary. It's recommended to program in all freqs though, with primary first and alternates second.

west-pac

Back in ye olden days (Pre-COVID) it used to be marked red for primary and blue for secondary, and alternates had an "a" appended to them instead of a "c". Not sure when or why they changed it, but typically whatever one comes up is the primary. It's recommended to program in all freqs though, with primary first and alternates second.

While I don't like the way it is now, just because I'm ocd about discernible details, but the change was made because everybody should be programming the control channel and alternate control channels in their scanners. As such, it makes no sense to have them look different in the database.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin

If you are using scanning equipment that that needs a CC list programmed to work correctly, you should enter all site freqs for anything you want to listen to. The EFJ system allows any channel at the site to be a CC unless it's prohibited on the back end. Anything listed on the database here is either just a guess and/or is likely out of date.

prowisscan

Is there anyone aware of a new WISCOM site in the Milwaukee area? I am hitting on a control channel on 773.071875 or the next frequency step up with a NAC of B02. Fairly strong by the county medical grounds.

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings...

I do no hear anything on 773.071875 or 773.08125 (Which is the valid frequency). I live just north of state fair park (less than 1/2 mile from county grounds.

I do appear to be getting bleed-over on 771.61875 of the City of Milwaukee's new P-25 TRS control channel which is currently 771.49375. My guess they poss put up a new tower site on the ground which is bleeding over?

Do you have a System ID or Site number showing up when you hear something on 773.071875??

Tim

Tim

Feed Provider
Here is the license for 771.49375. It's a simulcast license for the north side of Milwaukee.

There are no 773.0xxxx frequencies on this license.

Affirmative, 771.49375 is part of the City of Milwaukee P-25 system. I was saying that the OP's off-center frequency thing was possibly just bleed over from Milwaukee's CC. Now that he stated he is getting a Site # it's definitely something else.

I don't hear anything on 773.06875 from my house near 84th/Blue Mound or on the way to work (just north of American Family Field...aka "Miller Park"). I might take a trip around with Uni-Trunker to see if I can find a signal and get some information.

Tim

west-pac

Let me make a correction. The control is on 773.06875. The site number is 246 which is not in the database.
Who are the neighbors of that site? I don't see any 773.0xxxx frequencies on any FCC license for milwaukee or any surrounding counties.

Edit: I forgot about the blanket WPTZ licenses that every state has. It'll be easy to locate the general area of this site by knowing who the neighbors are though.

Last edited:

prowisscan

Greetings, more to add today. The control channel changed to 774.06875 with a site number of 246 and NAC of BO2. Now that I have it programmed , the first TGID that poped up was 121 which is WSP. Other frequencies that are displaying are 773.31875 and 774.31875. Non of these frequencies are found in the fcc database though, but for sure it is a wisdom site. Hey Tim, I live off 92 and Bluemound.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
If you have a scanner compatible with PRO96Com or Unitrunker and the necessary cabling or an SDR with DSD it would be helpful if you could grab the neighbor or peer list.

It for sure is a WISCOM site. How weak is the signal from your location? If you hold the scanner to your body, point the antenna straight out, and turn in a circle, is there a point where the signal becomes noticably weaker and what direction is that point?

It's odd that they would throw on a 700 site and give it a site number that high. I wonder if it's an in band site to better support state agencies in the Milwaukee area. If not, it could always be a correctional or mental institution, which are usually low power, but those typically have lower site numbers.

Tim

Feed Provider
I can't quite get the Uni-Trunker to get a good enough signal from home to decode properly. I did take a small trek on the way home to the county grounds and the signal was definitely stronger than it is from home (Although still choppy). I am guessing based on that information, the location of the tower is Germantown/Meno Falls/Far NW side of Milwaukee area. I believe the 5 frequencies being used are

773.06875 cc, v
773.31875 v
774.06875 cc
774.31875 v
774.56875 v

From my home, the MWCO regional medical complex on the county grounds is north and west of me only by only 1/2 mile. Unfortunately, it does prevent me from receiving anything except very strong signals from that direction. This is probably why I can't receive it from home.

Tim

prowisscan

The signal strength is not as good as yesterday, locks onto the cc just fine but voice channels are choppy. Seeing the issi patches of 58903 and 58905. Strange how the frequencies of this new site are not found in fcc database. A site in that area of Men Falls or Germantown makes sense for additional coverage in SE Wisconsin.

west-pac

The freqs fall under the 700mhz state-wide license. Under that license a 700mhz Planning Commission has assigned 700mhz frequencies to EVERY county in the USA. The problem is, Wisconsin apparently doesn't want to follow that commissions recommendation. The Milwaukee area is grouped together with Chicago, to make the Region 54 area. Google search "region 54 700mhz" and start going down that path to finding the freqs for each county. I looked, and looked, over the weekend and I could not find a Wisconsin county that was assigned those frequencies given in the previous posts.

FWIW; Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois follow the 700mhz recommendations laid out by their Regions Commission.

Edit: Here is a random screenshot of some of that data I found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414_144441_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_144441_OneDrive.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 19

OpSec

Database Admin
Region 54 and Region 45 plans haven't been updated in quite a while Some allocations follow "the plan" but there are plenty that don't.

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to keep my system maps up to date, so I was wondering if anyone figured out the exact location of that new 700 MHz WISCOM site. The database shows it as Germantown (Site 246). If someone could provide me with an ASR number or coordinates. I see Washington County has a VHF site at Germantown PD and a 700 site at the Starlite Drive water tower, could it be one of these?

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I live in Germantown.

The Washington VHF site is -50dBm to me (I can see the GPD tower from my back patio).
The Washington 700 site is -95dBm to me. (makes sense since it's a little further south and my antenna favors VHF)

The WISCOM 700 site is -90dBm to me. If it were on the GPD tower, I'd expect the dBm to be closer to -50, since I can see the tower.

I have a hunch that either the new site is colocated with the Washington 700 site, or is somewhere else entirely.

I also have a hunch that it could actually be in Menomonee Falls, or far Northwest Milwaukee County, mainly since it's presenting OALAWCALL, OACHASE, WKLE4, and MCSODISP. I guess a site in Germantown could still present these talkgroups for interop purposes, since Germantown is on the border of OASIS, but it's a hunch.

I'm going to try to drive around the area at some point with a handheld and no antenna attached. Been a while since I did a proper fox hunt.

OpSec

Database Admin
The freqs fall under the 700mhz state-wide license. Under that license a 700mhz Planning Commission has assigned 700mhz frequencies to EVERY county in the USA. The problem is, Wisconsin apparently doesn't want to follow that commissions recommendation. The Milwaukee area is grouped together with Chicago, to make the Region 54 area. Google search "region 54 700mhz" and start going down that path to finding the freqs for each county. I looked, and looked, over the weekend and I could not find a Wisconsin county that was assigned those frequencies given in the previous posts.

FWIW; Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois follow the 700mhz recommendations laid out by their Regions Commission.

Edit: Here is a random screenshot of some of that data I found.

That's not quite how this works. There was an option for either the state to manage the SL license, or they could give it back to the Region for the Region to manage. Wisconsin kept control of the SL license. The Region has no bearing on how or where the SL frequencies are being used in this state. Some states gave it back to the Region and thus you'd see assignments in the Regional plan. This was all finalized in 2019 when the final notifications were due back to the FCC.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Anyone got any idea about 24518? I've been seeing it occasionally in my PRO96Com logs for about a year and a half, and most recently today. I've seen RIDs 406001, 406002, 406003, 406006, 416001, and 416002 either affiliate or pass traffic on the talkgroup.