Worldwide DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheriff7186

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. I am new to all this DMR technology. I have a DMR radio, it is programmed, I have a lot of code plugs installed. My question is... how can you hear / talk or use the worldwide zone or talk groups ? If I want to talk to someone in say...Liverpool England, how would I go about that. Thank you for your help.

KF4CFL

W2PDX

There are a lot of variables involved in answering your question. First, I think you mean you have a lot of talk groups programmed into your radio, not code plugs. The "code plug" is the configuration file that is loaded into the radio and contains all of the frequencies, talk groups, contacts, etc.

I'm not familiar with your area and quick Google search shows that (apparently) the Kinston Amateur Radio Society in your area only runs a VHF FM repeater. In order to use DMR and to make contacts in Liverpool, England, you would have to find a DMR repeater in your area that allows you to use TG1 Worldwide. Once you have access to TG1, and assuming there is a corresponding repeater in Liverpool that also carries TG1, then you could make contacts. Again, this is a very simplified answer to the question.

Another option... and perhaps the only option if you don't have a DMR repeater in your area... is to purchase an IP gateway device, commonly called a "hotspot." There are a few options on the market, including the Shark RF OpenSpot, which is what I have. An OpenSpot basically serves as a simplex repeater when you are in an area that does not have an RF repeater. You would need to program your radio to transmit to the OpenSpot on a simplex frequency and have TG1 programmed as a contact. This will get you on the air and onto TG1, along with any other talk groups that you program.

Again, this is a very basic explanation to your question. DMR is a lot of fun but there is definitely a learning curve that comes along with it as well. If you haven't already, check out DMR-MARC Network for some more info and specifically the W2XAB DMR Guide http://dmr-marc.net/media/Amateur_Radio_Guide_to_DMR_Rev_I_20150510.pdf

Hope this helps. 73

sheriff7186

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Actually the DMR repeater in Goldsboro, 15 miles west of my location serves us well here in western Lenoir County. I have already made contact with another operator in Boone, NC using it and my TYT MD390. I am pleased with it so far. As this is new, I will get it figured out soon enough, I have been out for awhile and when I was originally licensed, I dont think DMR was around.

D

DaveNF2G

There are two basic problems with the way amateur DMR is implemented.

1) Many repeater owners have put the non-local talkgroups into PTT mode, which means that someone local must access (transmit on) such talkgroup before anyone on the local machine will hear any traffic there. To me, this defeats the purpose of DMR networking, as each repeater is its own little sandbox just like conventional.

2) Hams in some countries (and the UK is notable for this) do not like hearing foreign traffic on their local repeaters. Either their DMR machines are not linked, or access to talkgroups is restricted.

W2PDX

I looked up the DMR repeater in Goldsboro. From the club's website, here is the repeater info:

Goldsboro, NC

442.3625 +
Color Code 1

Talkgroups Available on Time Slot 1

Local — 27500
PRN Chat 1 — 27501
PRN Chat 2 — 27502
DMRX TAC 310 — 310
DMRX TAC 1 — 8951
DMRX BrandMeister — 3100
Echotest Server — 9998

Talkgroups Available on Time Slot 2

PRN — 2

TG1 "Worldwide" isn't carried on that repeater according to the website but you can (and should) add all of the available TGs to your code plug. So while TG1 isn't available, if you know someone in Liverpool who has access to any of the above TGs, you shouldn't have any problem conducting a QSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.