Would like to know this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nc8w

Hello,
I live here in Canton Ohio. I would like to know what scanner and what I would have to do to hear the Canton City police again. They have went to the new style system etc.

rvictor

It appears from the database that they are on this system:

Canton/Stark County Trunking System, Canton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

If that's the case, you won't be able to hear much of the police communications regardless of which scanner you were to buy since most appear to be encrypted. That's represented by the "E" in the mode column. Those designated as "D" would require a digital scanner. Only those designated "A" would be available on an analog scanner.

Dick

ltjweiss

Canton, Stark County, Ohio- Stark County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
There is nothing digital at the moment but you might want to ask the same question in this forum- Ohio Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums
But for now i would suggest the Radioshack Pro-164 handheld or Pro-163 base/mobile or for a little extra the new Pro-107 but i can only suggest Radioshack scanners because i only have experience with those. but the guys in the ohio forum are going to know better than me because the radio systems in the area could be changing soon. and they can give you their opinions on different scanner/receiver brands. so Good Luck and Welcome to The RR Community, this place can be very helpful.

ltjweiss

i stand corrected

It appears from the database that they are on this system:

Canton/Stark County Trunking System, Canton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

If that's the case, you won't be able to hear much of the police communications regardless of which scanner you were to buy since most appear to be encrypted. That's represented by the "E" in the mode column. Those designated as "D" would require a digital scanner. Only those designated "A" would be available on an analog scanner.

Dick

ahh yes he is correct for the Canton/Stark County TRS. but you would be able to listen to the conventional frequencies like the Stark County Sheriff, Regional Emergency Dispatch Center, Self Dispatched Agencies, Regional Emergency Dispatch (RED) Center, Central Communications (CenComm), EMS Agencies, and so on.

N8IAA

Hello,
I live here in Canton Ohio. I would like to know what scanner and what I would have to do to hear the Canton City police again. They have went to the new style system etc.

Digital, Digital, Digital. Canton PD and Stark SO are 'E'ncrypted. FD and other city PDs have 'D'igital in the clear TGID's. So, as answered in the previous posts, they are not able to be heard anymore:(
Larry

Nasby

Canton P.D. is encrypted but I wasn't aware that Stark Sherrif was encrypted. I think most of their traffic is in the clear on the 800 mhz digital system. I was receiving them well last weekend.

nc8w

Well I guess that answers my question. I just thought that maybe some one had a way around that. And so my quest goes on. Thanks everyone who responded to this.........Paul

nc8w

I would like to know if there is a way?

Hello,

N8IAA

Canton P.D. is encrypted but I wasn't aware that Stark Sherrif was encrypted. I think most of their traffic is in the clear on the 800 mhz digital system. I was receiving them well last weekend.

Refer to post # 3. It has the Stark County P-25 system in it. The common non-sensitive frequencies are not encrypted: Canton freeway PD and such. FD is not encrypted. I did not say the SO was encrypted (even though 3 TGIDs are), Just Canton PD. Check it out.
Larry

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hello,

If you want to hear Canton PD, you are limited to what is not encrypted. So, to hear what in not encrypted on Stark County: RS Pro-106/197, GRE PSR-500/600 (same as the 106/197, different look and include all accessories), Uniden 396XT/996XT (all accessories included) for newer scanners. Older, not as good, scanners: Pro-96/2096, Uniden 396T/996T. These are the only scanners that will decode P-25 digital systems. I would recommend That you read the RR Wiki on all of the above mentioned. Make a decision on what fits your needs. The software for the RS and GRE's is: Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners This is a free 30 day trial.
For the Unidens: ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN! This is free. Both allow uploading frequencies direct from RR (you need to be a premium subscriber for this to work). Other wise, cut and paste apply.
HTH,
Larry

rvictor

Since he asked what he would have to do to hear the Canton City police again, I assumed that was what he want to know. My bad, I guess.

Dispatch, operations (CPD 2 and CPD 3), detectives, traffic enforcement, and special events are all encrypted according to the database. That leaves freeway details, Pro Football Hall of Fame, and various interop and mutual aid channels that are not encrypted, but digital. And, of course, the Auxiliary and the Youth Corp that are analog.

There certainly are some other things to listen to that are not encrypted, but that wasn't the question.

Dick

nc8w

Well Thank You everyone who replied.
I was just fishing to see if there was a way to listen to the encrypted frequencies.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Refer to post # 3. It has the Stark County P-25 system in it.
Larry

The Stark System in not P-25. P-25 implies 9600-baud control channel, and all digital talkgroups. It is a Type II system, with mixed mode audio.

Just wanted to make sure to state that. The whole P-25 confusion causes problems for people when programming Uniden radios. It is common for people to see P-25/APCO-25 and select the system type incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.