• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV6D issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac0923

Hey all, KD2KNQ here (Danny) from NY.

I have a few baofeng uv5rs that I have programmed using Chirp for my local repeaters. My buddy at work became interested in the hobby after what I showed him and he purchased a Wouxun KG-UV6D and asked me to program it for him.

I literally copied and pasted the same Chirp program sheet used on my baofengs onto his Wouxun and everything went smooth on the upload.

My baofengs work perfectly but the Wouxun will not transmit/open the repeaters, The Wouxun does receive the repeaters and also will work/transmit on simplex.

Any ideas why guys?

jk77

Sounds like you don't have the correct PL tones for the repeaters set.

dmac0923

yea thats what I had initially thought as well, but like I said I put the same program into my baofeng and it works so i copied and pasted the Chirp baofeng profile and put it in the wouxun but nothing...

in chirp, I opened the Wouxun image and baofeng image and compared them side by side to see if there are any differences and they are identical.

So totally confused, I went back to the drawing board. I factory reset the Wouxun and tried to enter the repeater info manually in frequency mode. Same thing. itll hear the repeater output but it wont transmit/open the repeater.

here is the 2m repeater info that i was trying to use
145.110 / tone 123 / offset (-) 00.600

I know im entering it correctly into chirp and manually in frequency mode because I can do so successfully on my baofeng.

I initially thought that the Wouxon was just defective and would not transmit at all but it will transmit on simplex to my baofeng no problem.

totally boggled here

jk77

I don't think it is defective. It's almost certainly a problem with the tones. It's not a good idea to cut and paste from another radio's Chirp file though. I would recommend doing another factory reset and then filling out a Chirp sheet with a few repeaters just for the Wouxun (without cutting and pasting) and following the directions for Chirp to the letter.

That is about as much as I can say because I don't have a Wouxun. I do have Baofengs though.

dmac0923

I don't think it is defective. It's almost certainly a problem with the tones. It's not a good idea to cut and paste from another radio's Chirp file though. I would recommend doing another factory reset and then filling out a Chirp sheet with a few repeaters just for the Wouxun (without cutting and pasting) and following the directions for Chirp to the letter.

That is about as much as I can say because I don't have a Wouxun. I do have Baofengs though.

That was a good idea... however I tried that to the same result.

Just so you guys dont think im a moron lol, I have programmed 7 UV-5Rs between myself and my friends using CHIRP. So thats why this is so frustrating with this Wouxun.

for my comparison. both My baofeng and his wouxun are running the same Nagoya 771 whip antennas and are being tested on the same repeater at the same location in my house so I know I am in range of the repeater.

dmac0923

UPDATE:

Ended up being a defective radio itself. My buddy purchased a second unit and we used the same antenna and same programming and it worked flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.