• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WOUXUN KG-UVD1P VHF Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

I've been loving ham radio so far using my new handheld but there's one issue I've had since the beginning: I can't pick up ANY VHF and I have no clue why. When I scan thru the VHF frequencies, I either hear absolutely nothing or I pick up NOISE. That's it. On UHF, i've heard many conversations successfully and crystal clear. On VHF, NOTHING, ever... And this thing is supposed to be dual band. I have my step set for 5.0KHz and I live in San Diego. I've tried driving around far (up to orange county even) and still heard absolutely nothing, so I'm assuming it's a radio setting issue.

In addition to scanning and just browsing with the tuner, I've even programmed in local VHF repeaters and I never hear anything but noise. But on UHF, I get the traffic just fine.

My radio's info area says that is flashed for 144-148 MHz & 430-450 Mhz so it appears to be programmed just fine.

Does anyone know what the deal is? Thanks!

rfguygg

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

See if you can tune in the local NOAA weather frequency. If you can't get that it's likely defective.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

See if you can tune in the local NOAA weather frequency. If you can't get that it's likely defective.

I agree with this, but by what I have been told, 2 meters on the west coast is nearly dead, and 70cmthe is where most of the action is. Don't take that to heart, its just what I have been told.

NewSDScanner

So I WAS able to hear ONE of the local NOAA weather frequencies, but that's it. The other 6 either receive horribly or not at all. Maybe JDailey is right about the 2meter band over here in my specific area. It's just weird because we have repeaters listed as UP here on some 2 meter frequencies and I don't get them at all. But I get the same exact tower signal on the 70cm band. In other words, I get signals on 70cm that are broadcasted from the exact same mountain as the ones on the 2 meter that I don't get at all.

mancow

Database Admin
It's possible it was misaligned at the factory as well. I would try to send it back or get it repaired. It doesn't sound like it's anything you have programmed incorrectly that is causing it.

LtDoc

Before I would send the thing to be repaired I think I'd find someone to try it with on simplex. I have a problem thinking there's no 2 meter activity on the west coast. It may not be what it used to be, but there's gotta be some.
There will always be one or two 'lemons', maybe you just got lucky??
- 'Doc

NewSDScanner

Ok, so at this point I have received both an NOAA weather frequency AND I DID receive the "So Cal Rescue Net" repeater at 146.385 MHz (first time since I've owned this thing). I heard it pretty much loud and clear but I notice that in general, VHF seems to be far more affected by electromagnetic interference from other electronics than UHF. For example, if I even put my radio anywhere near my turned-on computer while listening to 146.385 MHz it would cut off completely and gradually come back on (with static) as I move the handheld away from the computer.

I'm wondering if RFI is why I'm having such an issue in this area... I ran another scan tonight and my radio stopped at about 20 frequencies that were all nothing but static and noise.

W2NJS

Computers are notorious generators of RF hash so what you're hearing is common and nothing can be done about it unless you shut down your computer. Try the simplex test suggested above; that will tell you basically if your radio is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.