WS1040, How to increase volume?

threeofnine

Premium Subscriber
I am using a WS1040 to mostly monitor Alabama Highway Patrol frequencies. I am using a mobile scanner so I can easily switch between cars. The only problem is the volume level is a bit low and hard to hear over the engine/wind noise when driving at high speeds. I bought a Midland 21-406 external speaking thinking it would give me the volume increase I am looking for. However, it is actually quieter than the scanner's built in speaker. Is there a way I can increase the volume with accessories?

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
The scanner —as other portable scanners— is simply not made to feed an external speaker with its earphone circuit.

You will need an amplified speaker, much like our desktop or tower PCs need amplified speakers also.

Uniden has the BC23A 15watts amplified speaker that will for sure provide you with plenty of audio to spare, in your context (as mine also!).

‘Hope this helps !

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1 & WS1080 and the speakers on them are pretty weak as well. I bought a two small Bluetooth transmitters paired with Bluetooth speakers that works well for me. I can tuck the speaker wedged under the headrest right behind me so I can hear it loud & clear.

I power all three (radio, transmitter & speaker) with a USB power bank and can get 24 - 36 hrs runtime depending on capacity of the bank.

I'm in the process to outfit two BCD325P2's & a BCD160DN the same way.

I prefer a Bluetooth speaker with a 3.5mm input so I can use a patch cable to run audio direct to it if the need arises.

threeofnine

Premium Subscriber
The scanner —as other portable scanners— is simply not made to feed an external speaker with its earphone circuit.

You will need an amplified speaker, much like our desktop or tower PCs need amplified speakers also.

Uniden has the BC23A 15watts amplified speaker that will for sure provide you with plenty of audio to spare, in your context (as mine also!).

‘Hope this helps !
Thank you! I just ordered a BC23A. Hopefully it will make things a little more clearer.

threeofnine

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1 & WS1080 and the speakers on them are pretty weak as well. I bought a small Bluetooth transmitter paired with a Bluetooth speaker that works well for me. I can tuck the speaker wedged under the headrest right behind me so I can hear it loud & clear.

I power all three with a USB power bank and can get 24 - 36 hrs runtime depending on capacity of the bank.

I'm in the process to outfit two BCD325P2's & a BCD160DN the same way.

I prefer a Bluetooth speaker with a 3.5mm input so I can use a patch cable to run audio direct to it if the need arises.
Thats actually a great idea.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
The Bluetooth option can be used anywhere as opposed to having to mount a powered speaker in a single vehicle.

Another upside is I can have the scanner in the vehicle & tote the speaker around with me while pumping gas, sitting on the tailgate, etc. ya just gotta stay within 20 feet or so of the radio.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Careful with ordering the amplified speakers that connect to the headphone jack of the scanner though. I found out the hard way what scanner master was saying on the description for their own amplified speakers they used to offer.

No idea how they managed to pull it off but it bypasses the amplifier and just ends up driving the speaker directly which is pretty quiet. No idea why GRE thought that was a good idea, even less idea why Whistler choose to keep it that way. The bluetooth idea is a good one and what I do for my TRX-1 on the rare occasion I don't just put the racing earbuds in instead. I have a little rectangular thing with a 3.5mm plug and just stick that on the radio.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have a RS106 same as a 1040, you attach a small piece of thin wire under the antenna connector over to the metal external speaker jack, this shorts out the resistor they use for ear protection and it triples the audio, I use a old lapel speaker from RS attached this way and it's great in the mobile , this remedy should be remembered by older scanner guys when these models first came out