WS1040: WS1040 Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkirk3434

Hello fellow Scanners,

I purchased a WS1040 Scanner about two weeks ago for the sole purpose of monitoring my local police/fire. I live in a relatively small town (20,000 people) that is approximately 6 miles east/west and 6 miles north/south.

Anyway, I am beginning to notice that half (or more) of the messages from the police, fire, or dispatcher are either not being verbalized on my scanner for me to hear (I can see the switch from scan to the exact talk group talking but can't hear anything) and other times I hear only part of the message or it is not all the way clear what is being said. For example, just now there was some sort of a medical that was being dispatched to the fire station and all I heard was the dispatcher saying "medical" and replying to the fire department's acknowledgement (I could not hear it) with the exact time of them acknowledging it. I did not get to hear what was happening or where it was happening.

On the other hand, I have heard multiple full calls from start to finish. Sometimes I can hear the police/fire from the scenes, sometimes I can't.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any basic solutions to get better reception? FWIW, I live a half mile from the dispatch center/fire station.

lou9155

that will happen depending on how many objects you are scanning..the less objects in your scan list or favorites the more conversation you will hear. my fav list has only 10 objects for my local stuff ..on a busy object ill pause to get alll of the transmission..sometimes a simulcast system holds up the scanning for a second or 2...

N8IAA

Hello fellow Scanners,

I purchased a WS1040 Scanner about two weeks ago for the sole purpose of monitoring my local police/fire. I live in a relatively small town (20,000 people) that is approximately 6 miles east/west and 6 miles north/south.

Anyway, I am beginning to notice that half (or more) of the messages from the police, fire, or dispatcher are either not being verbalized on my scanner for me to hear (I can see the switch from scan to the exact talk group talking but can't hear anything) and other times I hear only part of the message or it is not all the way clear what is being said. For example, just now there was some sort of a medical that was being dispatched to the fire station and all I heard was the dispatcher saying "medical" and replying to the fire department's acknowledgement (I could not hear it) with the exact time of them acknowledging it. I did not get to hear what was happening or where it was happening.

On the other hand, I have heard multiple full calls from start to finish. Sometimes I can hear the police/fire from the scenes, sometimes I can't.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any basic solutions to get better reception? FWIW, I live a half mile from the dispatch center/fire station.
First time posters, if they want a real answer, should post where they are, and what system they are monitoring. Along with what scanner. We're not mind readers:)
First fact: living 1/2 mile from the dispatch tower would be too strong of a signal and overloading the scanner.
Question: what type of antenna are you using? If it is an outdoor antenna, you definitely will be receiving too strong of a signal. Even if it is a trunk system. Or, are you using the supplied antenna from the manufacturer?
Let us know, and you might get the correct answers.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.