WS1065 DSP Boot Screen Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Just wanted to give an update of what I have found out about this "DSP Loader" failure mode. According to @dispatch235 in at least 2016 Whistler used some faulty EEPROMs in at least the WS1065 (the date code on this one is 1/2016). When these EEPROMs fail, they will no longer hold or except any data. In email chats with Whistler support I have been able to figure out that Whistler knows all about this, yet they won't tell you that it is the EEPROM that failed, that caused this. They will only tell you that if the scanner is still under the 1 yr warrantee, they will fix it for free. But if otherwise the repair will cost $120.00 plus shipping. I am guessing that they are installing new CPU/logic boards and not doing board level chip replacement, hence the $120.00 cost. I looked up the EEPROM in the Pro-197 service manual and it is a 6 legged SMT part, it is on one corner of the logic board with room to self replace it by an astute radio hobbyist. These is the only possible repairs for one of these scanners that the "DSP Boot" error has befallen and no amount of keyboard combo reset button pushes or rerunning the CPU firmware into the scanner till you're blue in the face, will do any good.

Last edited:

Swipesy

Also, In June 2003, Don Starr posted "The EEPROM used to store user programming (which includes object hit counts) in the PSR-500 family is good for at least 1,000,000 writes per page. The only time writes happen at anything beyond a negligible rate is when you're in scan mode and hit counts are enabled.

Additionally, hit counts are limited to 10,000. Once an object reaches that limit, its hit counter will not be updated (and, thus, no more writes to the EEPROM for that object). You'd have to manually clear the objects' hit counters so that they'll be updated again. Even for a scanner that's on 24x7 in scan mode, once you hit the 10,000 limit on an object, you'll stop "eating up" the writes to that object's memory area."

Status
Not open for further replies.