WXJ40 162.400 Concord Off Frequency or Distorted Audio?

Eng8492

Anyone else have excessive distortion on this station? When I switch to 162.450 audio is fine.....

petereye

Premium Subscriber
I am in Salem using a Diamond dual band antenna it comes in distorted here also. Depending upon the time of day it changes and sounds ok.
If you have the waterfall option when it is selected AUDIO comes in perfectly. I have notified Joe Bearcat a Uniden rep. about this issue.
I have tried every filter there was no change. In waterfall mode audio is great and little noise. Running latest firmware no change from initial waterfall firmware. I can listen to 162.500 Mt Washington completely readable in waterfall mode and all distorted in normal scan mode . I hope they fix this. I also found this problem listening to weak ham repeaters. Also in waterfall mode I can shift it to all weather freqs and have no problem, audio is fine. This happens on 162.425 in Gloucester also for me, distorted on scan clean on waterfall.

Last edited:

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
I'm listening from Concord and it has slightly distorted audio but readable with good signal using a SDS200. I checked and verified the same with BKR and Motorola APX portable radios. It appears it has something to do with the audio at the site.

John

Eng8492

I am in Salem using a Diamond dual band antenna it comes in distorted here also. Depending upon the time of day it changes and sounds ok.
If you have the waterfall option when it is selected AUDIO comes in perfectly. I have notified Joe Bearcat a Uniden rep. about this issue.
I have tried every filter there was no change. In waterfall mode audio is great and little noise. Running latest firmware no change from initial waterfall firmware. I can listen to 162.500 Mt Washington completely readable in waterfall mode and all distorted in normal scan mode . I hope they fix this. I also found this problem listening to weak ham repeaters. Also in waterfall mode I can shift it to all weather freqs and have no problem, audio is fine. This happens on 162.425 in Gloucester also for me, distorted on scan clean on waterfall.
There is something wrong with the station per the other post. On reddit, somebody said they could not get SAME decoding working, which is a major problem if it has to do with the site.

petereye

Premium Subscriber
I'm listening from Concord and it has slightly distorted audio but readable with good signal using a SDS200. I checked and verified the same with BKR and Motorola APX portable radios. It appears it has something to do with the audio at the site.

John
I listened again and yes 162.4 audio is slightly distorted you are only 8 miles from the site I am about 40 miles south. I was wondering do you have the waterfall add on on your sds200? If so could you listen to distant weather frequencies on scan mode and compare your results using the waterfall mode 360khz span mode auto gain. I find that sensitivity and general reception on the weaker signals is much better in waterfall mode. In scan mode on the sds200 162.40 is almost unreadable and distorted yet waterfall mode it comes in fine I have tried all filters to no avail. My son lives near where you were on Millstream I have been retired for some time myself

Last edited:

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
One other thought. I just got an SDS100 yesterday and noticed that our local WX station sounded pretty poor. However, the SDS100 defaults to NFM for the WX channels. Changing it to FM made it sound much better.

petereye

Premium Subscriber
One other thought. I just got an SDS100 yesterday and noticed that our local WX station sounded pretty poor. However, the SDS100 defaults to NFM for the WX channels. Changing it to FM made it sound much better.
I have it set to FM for weather not much change on my end . Going into waterfall mode it goes to NFM and sounds much better and far less noise . Only on WEAK stations strong stations not much difference . But 162.400 audio is distorted slightly Not off freq

Last edited:

Eng8492

You can report outages/issue on this webpage/phone number/e-mail:

1-888-886-1227
nwroutage@noaa.gov
I did this a few months ago, going to all the trouble of specifying my receiver and observations, only to get on a meaningless email exchange with a very non technical govt employee. I offered to send a recording of KZZ40 (clean) versus WXJ40 and did not get a response.

Last edited:

Eng8492

I have it set to FM for weather not much change on my end . Going into waterfall mode it goes to NFM and sounds much better and far less noise . Only on WEAK stations strong stations not much difference . But 162.400 audio is distorted slightly Not off freq
Thats a good sign that the deviation is exceeding +/- 5khz

Eng8492

Thats a good sign that the deviation is exceeding +/- 5khz
I quoted the wrong post and cannot find the edit/delete option. I was responding to the post thstcsaid thexstation sounded much better in (wide) FM mode. Thats my experience.

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
I quoted the wrong post and cannot find the edit/delete option. I was responding to the post thstcsaid thexstation sounded much better in (wide) FM mode. Thats my experience.

Narrowband is 2.5KHz deviation. NOAA stations use 4 or 5, I forget which. So narrowband is not the correct setting for them. My point was that if the OP is listening using NFM, it could be worsening his perception of whatever the actual problem is.

petereye

Premium Subscriber
Narrowband is 2.5KHz deviation. NOAA stations use 4 or 5, I forget which. So narrowband is not the correct setting for them. My point was that if the OP is listening using NFM, it could be worsening his perception of whatever the actual problem is.
I have Listened to it the audio is slightly distorted FM or NFM not off freq or over deviated . I initially thought it was signal strength ,its not bad but compared to 162.450 its slightly raspy but I am 40 miles from Plausawa Hill in Pembroke NH

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Has anyone actually looked at the carrier on a real spectrum analyzer to determine if the carrier is off frequency? Just about all these NOAA transmitters are digitally synthesized exciters, so the likelihood of them actually being "slightly" off frequency to the point a consumer scanner notices it , are slim. Not saying impossible, but unless I see it on an actual professional analyzer, I won't believe it.

Now there is a very good chance that the INPUT signal to the transmitter is having an issue, and you're hearing distortion that "sounds" like the carrier being off. I think Petereye has is nailed down with this regard.