• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100M Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Hey everyone, so I just picked up a XG-100M to go with my 100P. Right now I’ll be using the CH-721 control head. I just have a few questions about it.

I’m familiar with rpm but not with the specific cables I need to program the M. Does anyone have part numbers for those cables? I know the brick and head both need cables for firmware updates (though it’s already updated to the latest as far as I can tell), but do I load mission plans to the brick with a serial cable? I have the manuals and I know there’s a serial to mic cable available for the head, so do I just use a usb to serial adapter? My rig doesn’t have any serial ports. Can I load via Bluetooth? Is there a USB port I’m missing?

Also, I’m looking at antennas…one of the genuine Harris recommended antennas is on eBay right now but I’ve also seen some posts about using a browning.

I guess that’s all for now. I’m sure I’ll have more as I get things set up… oh and if anyone knows where to pick up a CH-100 head, I am interested but it’s not a priority.

Thanks in advance!
-Brian

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
All you need to communicate to the brick and head is a straight thru 9 pin serial cable. Eazy peazy. If you are using a remote head setup you should be able to load mission plans thru the serial connection as well. If you ever upgrade to the CH100 (I got mine on Ebay) you can use USB or Bluetooth to load mission plans.

As for the antenna, any multiband will work essentially. I'm using a Tram on mine.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Awesome! Thanks for your reply.

Anyone know anything about the HHC-731 handheld control head? Does it also require it’s own firmware? If so, how do you update it? Does it only connect to the remote head or can you use the Control Head Cable Set 140002-0174-0/CA-012349-001 and go from the brick 40 pin to the 731?

Thanks again!
-Brian

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I did a test with the Harris/Laird tri-band, a Larsen tri-band and COMPACtenna tri-band. The COMPACtenna in my opinion was the winner for the frequencies I use plus its only about 9" tall. Here is a link to the test. Comparison, Larsen Tri-band, Laird WPD136M6C-001, COMPACtenna Scan III - 118 to 922MHz

COMPACtenna has a new model out that I have not tried and they claim better performance across public service bands. Its called the LMR-1 but its more $$ than other models.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
May I ask where you got it from? I can’t see dropping 3 grand?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
It’s hard to quantify a ‘decent going rate’ because the features are so expensive to add… Mine has phase 2, CAI, trunking, otar, aes/des, gps… just those features additions to a base radio cost what I paid and then some… 3k is definitely more than I paid, but i feel like that’s not too far out there (depending on the features), especially when you look at how rarely they come up for sale and how much you can do with the single radio (which adds a lot of value when you don’t need to install three radios and mangle the vehicle putting antennas everywhere and ruining the interior). That’s also why I’m interested in the HHC-731… With that and my Bluetooth speaker mic, you don’t need to modify the vehicle’s interior at all!

It also helps when you’re already familiar with rpm, have the latest firmware, and mission plans ready to go. Also, having a 100P with matching features and firmware also makes it a better value. It was a good fit for me so I jumped on it!

Its not about cost, it’s about value.
-Brian

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Thanks prcguy. I went with an Sti-Co rfmt-nt-v/u/c for now. I think it’s actually one of the oem antennas and Harris just rebrands it. Thanks a lot for posting a link to the test. I have a couple of vehicles and I want to be able to move the radio between them. Not every day, but seasonally. I’ll probably pick up a compactenna lmr-i come spring! It looks perfect.

Thanks,
Brian

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
These are the antennas purchased by Uncle Sam for the vehicles equipped with the XG100P… as mentioned above they are rebadged sti-co units… sort of how like the Harris public safety speaker mic is a rebadged Otto Storm EEAD0032-A8C6-42D8-911A-6D5A1D5D0708.jpeg

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Ok… So maybe this sounds crazy or just odd, but I’m looking at using two of the Sti-Co antennas pictured above in a dipole configuration. You can easily remove them from the nmo mount, leaving just a threaded hole then simply put a bolt with a crimped ring terminal through a slab of poly into each antenna. Anyone see any glaring issues with this

I want to be able to use a single antenna on the car mounted nmo, or take the dipole setup remote and use it in a battery powered base station configuration for disaster relief and search and rescue interop situations. The setup packs down very small and would make for a very simple, tool-less assembly.

Any feedback is appreciated!
-Brian

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Also, I meant to ask this earlier but does anyone have a part number for a ball and socket style mount that bolts to the top or bottom of the head? It looks like a standard ram mount might just bolt right to it but I don’t have one to try… any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
-B

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Also, I meant to ask this earlier but does anyone have a part number for a ball and socket style mount that bolts to the top or bottom of the head? It looks like a standard ram mount might just bolt right to it but I don’t have one to try… any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
-B
Take a look in the installation manual. I believe its a standard AMPS pattern.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Hey everyone. So my next question is about firmware. What’s the current version for the 100M? I think it’s R06P01…

How do I read or update the control head firmware? I’ve tried connecting to the 721 head over serial with and without the radio connected and either way, I never get a readout of the head firmware… do I need to telnet in to do this? The radio has R06P01 for sure, but I can’t for the life of me get a read on the head firmware. Anyone care to share? Also, how do I obtain R06P01 if I had to upgrade a head?

Thanks,
Brian

rjschilder

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone. So my next question is about firmware. What’s the current version for the 100M? I think it’s R06P01…

How do I read or update the control head firmware? I’ve tried connecting to the 721 head over serial with and without the radio connected and either way, I never get a readout of the head firmware… do I need to telnet in to do this? The radio has R06P01 for sure, but I can’t for the life of me get a read on the head firmware. Anyone care to share? Also, how do I obtain R06P01 if I had to upgrade a head?

Thanks,
Brian
R06T02 is the current version

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I have P01 on my 100P but the real question is if there are any XG-100M/P related updates in the newer T02. We need to see the release notes.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
SRN for R06T02. Works fine with RPM14. The 100P is long since discontinued so there won't be any new features there.. Maybe the odd critical bug fix.

Attachments

• 14221-1800-8000RevAM.pdf
    434.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
@Forts So I’m reading through this document and there are two things I’m wondering about. First off, where can I get this firmware?

Also, can I use rpm14 to update the 100M mobile? I know I can update the 100P since rpm2 doesn’t support it, but can I do the same for the 100M? I guess it’s moot if I can’t procure the firmware!

Lastly, how does one update the firmware in a 721/731 control head?

Thanks,
Brian

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes you can use RPM14 to update the radio. I've already done my 100P and planned on doing my 100M last night... but it appears RPM2 doesn't like Windows 11 on my laptop. It refuses to see the radio no matter how I connect to it. Switch back to RPM14 and it sees the radio just fine. Grrrr!

Control head firmware is loaded thru RPM. Standard Serial Connection -> Load Compressed Code -> CH721 MainApp / HHC-731 MainApp etc. On the CH-100 it should be do-able using the USB connection on the front of the control head.

Status
Not open for further replies.