• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xg100p no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
reload the mission plan.... REMEMBER NEVER EVER read a out a radio modify contents and write back as u run the risk of a replication error... if if you have to modify a mission plan, do so from one saved on your PC and and overwrite the existing one on the radio. heres something a replication error compares to in a simpler sense: you make a photocopy of a any document, then photocopy that copy... the 3rd photocopy is not going too look anywhere near perfect when u hold it side by side to the original document.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Its a known issue, I have had a handful with bad speakers, just randomly go dead. Works fine with a speaker mic attached, just nothing out of the main speaker.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
have you tried using an external mic / shoulder mic? That might be one way to mitigate the issue.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We have TONS of issues with these radios. I would never own one as a personal radio. There are too many problems that just randomly appear. I have my desk queen XG100P work radio that just failed and had to be sent back.

Below are some of the common problems that we see:
Broken pogos
Boot loop error / stuck Harris logo
No speaker audio
Radio reboots constantly
RSSI stuck at -130 / no receive
Keypad or other button failure
Battery fitment issues
Broken or bent battery tabs on bottom of radio - If you drop a radio and it lands on those tabs, they bend (they are metal) and you will have a very hard time removing the battery.
Water/debris behind screen - Radios are supposed to be water tight.

Some of these are end user generated problems and can be avoided, but the majority are from poor design. I loathe this radio and try to help people understand why they should avoid them.

We still have a lot of XTS2500s and I foresee them still being on our system long after the XG100Ps stop working.

TDR-94

We have TONS of issues with these radios. I would never own one as a personal radio. There are too many problems that just randomly appear. I have my desk queen XG100P work radio that just failed and had to be sent back.

Below are some of the common problems that we see:
Broken pogos
Boot loop error / stuck Harris logo
No speaker audio
Radio reboots constantly
RSSI stuck at -130 / no receive
Keypad or other button failure
Battery fitment issues
Broken or bent battery tabs on bottom of radio - If you drop a radio and it lands on those tabs, they bend (they are metal) and you will have a very hard time removing the battery.
Water/debris behind screen - Radios are supposed to be water tight.

Some of these are end user generated problems and can be avoided, but the majority are from poor design. I loathe this radio and try to help people understand why they should avoid them.

We still have a lot of XTS2500s and I foresee them still being on our system long after the XG100Ps stop working.

With your experience maintaining thousands of XG-100P's, it's certainly disconcerting hearing about all the issues you've been having with them.

With the XG-100P's that I've had, I've experienced the battery fitment issue (some batteries fit fine, others fit so tight that I've had to practically wrestle the damn things off) and dust behind the front display. I've only had them reboot when they didn't like something in a MP and it could be just about anything.

I've noticed my daily desk queen has been acquiring dust particles behind the front display and that shouldn't be happening if these are "certified" to be dust and water resistant. That would indicate that the radio is not even resistant to humidity, let alone being submersed in water for 30 minutes. I'm starting to wonder how many corners HARRIS cut when designing and manufacturing the production units to the price point they were trying to obtain. The XG-100P prototype "looked" to be a little more rugged design, originally.

Last edited:

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Can confirm Rescue161 is the wizard of all things Harris. He definitely knows his stuff forward, backwards, inside, and out.

I’ve not had any issues with mine and it works great for NAS. Battery life compared to an APX is not as good, but it will still cover a shift and then some. Sound quality could be better; I feel like the speaker they elected to use wasn’t the best of quality. The audio reports on tx have always been good though.

Maybe don’t throw it across the parking lot. I’m not going to be doing that with my APX either for what it is worth.

Like anything else it can be broken and it is important to take care of our equipment. Software issues on the other hand….. that’s on Harris. For what I hear the XL series is the way to go. Looks cool to boot.

One of these days someone will start making aluminum cased radios like the falcon that cover the full spectrum that will cost at least as much as a double wide mobile home. Hopefully they will come with better speakers and rock solid software. Maybe carbon fiber? From the fire grounds to the battlefield rugged. Maybe TNC instead of SMA and flexible antennas that don’t do crazy stuff if they get hooked on something. Billion dollar ideal for you cats. Just send me a radio and I’ll be happy.

Last edited:

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
The pogos in a real Harris Falcon are for what I can tell the same as the XG-100P. They are mounted vertically instead of horizontally though so that might be useful in maintaining their integrity. The XG-100P is a brick and the Harris Falcon is a cinder block - chonky. Allegedly the 100 is a Falcon but with 7/800 instead of low band VHF.

Attachments

• F8553B30-2605-4F75-9652-A910523B5FFE.jpeg
    F8553B30-2605-4F75-9652-A910523B5FFE.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 18

TDR-94

It's a more public safety centric/friendly version of the RF-310M-HH. The RF-310M-HH also supports P25C and P25T.It's a non-CCI variant of the PRC-152 and it doesn't support any of the US DoD/military centric waveforms.

The XG-100P and the RF-310M-HH were developed around the same time period.

Last edited:

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I’ve seen several very recent photos of the FBI HRT using the RF-310M-HH. Definitely covers the federal spectrum well and is capable of AES. I’ve noticed their Peltors are twin lead and PTT switch is connected to two radios. I’m guessing an APX must be in the equation for 7/800 MHz. One of these days VHF low band will be cool again so someone will have to produce a true full spectrum radio. Besides CHP and Virginia State Police I think it has pretty much fallen out of favor. At some point Harris will also have to incorporate Phase II into the radios if they haven’t already. So the market is there even if it is small. The software and hardware is to the point it could function smoothly and quickly; there has been many improvements since the introduction of the XG and PRC-152.

I’d definitely play with one.

To be really up to 2021 speed it would also need to be FirstNet capable. L-Band for video / Starlink.

Just no more pogos to break.

Last edited:

TDR-94

The PRC-152C/PRC-117G and newer Falcon IV radios support more advanced DoD/military centric (Both VULOS and BLOS) waveforms that aren't applicable to or even able to be utilized by public safety.

Most of which require COMSEC keys and other classified operational parameters to be programmed before they will even be able to function.

Last edited:

TDR-94

Those HARRIS radios and the THALES PRC-148 (JEM) supported P25 as a result of the JTRS program that was implemented after 9/11. I don't believe the JTRS program exists any longer. At least not as JTRS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.