• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 8400 Rear Panel Microphone Wiring

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everybody. It's been a while, which is a good thing because it means either
everything is working just fine for me or everything I've tried has worked without
having to ask for help.
So, I recently purchased a very nice XPR 8400 Repeater. What I'm trying to do is
to wire a microphone and speaker to the rear accessory panel. I have a mint condition
TMN1005B desk mic that I would like to use. In the pictures posted here, here is
my assumption as to the wiring.
The Mic Green (PTT) to Repeater Pin 17 (GP5-1 PTT)
The Mic Black (GND) to Repeater Pin 12 (Audio Ground)
The Mic White (MON) to Repeater Pin 19 (GP5-2 MONITOR)
The Speaker (POS) to Repeater Pin 10 (SPKR +)
The Speaker (NEG) to Repeater Pin 9 (SPKR -)

Here is where I become unsure.
The Mic Brown (MIC HI) to Repeater Pin ?
The Mic Shield (MIC LO) to Repeater Pin ?

I'm posting this for the obvious reasons. It's much smarter to ask the people who know,
rather than use the trial and error method. With a nice piece of equipment, I'm not willing
to find out that my wiring was wrong after seeing the smoke released from some of the
components. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• TMN1005B deskmic.gif
    TMN1005B deskmic.gif
    134.8 KB · Views: 26
  • XPR 8400 Rear Accessory Connector.JPG
    XPR 8400 Rear Accessory Connector.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 48

RFI-EMI-GUY

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can use local mike and speaker in the DMR digital mode..

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you MMcKenna. As always, you're right there with the answer I seek.

RFI-EMI-GUY, I haven't decided to actually turn on DMR yet. I think I'm gonna
just go Analog for now. But thank you for the heads-up

N1GTL

Database Admin
There is nowhere to program a talk group ID into the repeater. RFI-EMI-GUY is correct.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
So last night I wired everything up and gave it a test. What happened was,
as soon as I plugged the connector in the back of the radio, it keyed the
channel. Pressing the PTT button didn't change anything. As soon as
I unplugged it, the radio was un-keyed. What should the setting be in the
Accessory section? Should "Active Level" be set to HIGH or LOW? Should
"Debounce" be checked or unchecked? For me, the help is a bit cryptic with
these options

RFI-EMI-GUY

There is nowhere to program a talk group ID into the repeater. RFI-EMI-GUY is correct.
Yeah, no VOCODER in the XPR8400. Its just pass through repeater and IPSC link for DMR.

You have to go to HYTera for that level of functionality.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

So last night I wired everything up and gave it a test. What happened was,
as soon as I plugged the connector in the back of the radio, it keyed the
channel. Pressing the PTT button didn't change anything. As soon as
I unplugged it, the radio was un-keyed. What should the setting be in the
Accessory section? Should "Active Level" be set to HIGH or LOW? Should
"Debounce" be checked or unchecked? For me, the help is a bit cryptic with
these options
I would expect active low for the microphone PTT. I assume the radio has a pull up resistor. De Bounce is always good. Maybe something shorted in the mike? Get out the VOM.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
OK situation solved. Since I had a connector with only 4 conductors,
I tied the Audio Ground and Monitor Shield together. That was the
issue. I split them apart and now the MIC works just fine. Once again,
Thank you everybody for your help and input.

N1GTL

Database Admin
OK situation solved. Since I had a connector with only 4 conductors,
I tied the Audio Ground and Monitor Shield together. That was the
issue. I split them apart and now the MIC works just fine. Once again,
Thank you everybody for your help and input.
Can you elaborate as to what is working? Analog?

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
N1GTL, right now I have the repeater setup for Analog only. I thought about
getting the "Dynamic Mixed Mode" option, but for $300+, I'll hold off to see
what kind of activity the system gets in Analog mode and what the users want.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Yeah, no VOCODER in the XPR8400. Its just pass through repeater and IPSC link for DMR.

You have to go to HYTera for that level of functionality.

Should be two of them actually since the 8400 is two mobile bricks minus the control heads strapped together. However, just because the hardware is there doesn't mean the firmware supports it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Should be two of them actually since the 8400 is two mobile bricks minus the control heads strapped together. However, just because the hardware is there doesn't mean the firmware supports it.
Yeah. No vocoder functionality . The bricks are simply providing modems for the turbo repeat mode. Hytera on the other hand, was more clever. .

meech93

Yeah. No vocoder functionality . The bricks are simply providing modems for the turbo repeat mode. Hytera on the other hand, was more clever. .
I have a question I would like to add to this thread. I have pretty much the same setup but with the XPR8400 in digital mode. Digital phone EID enabled for slot activation. It is interfaced with an Algo box using 4 wires: PTT pull to ground and Ground--Tx Audio and Audio ground. It worked great in analog mode. I switched the repeater to digital mode and added preconfigured group calling. It works but there is a 5 second delay in the PTT (pin 17) line before the repeater actually keys up. Is there a way to get that pin to instantly key up the repeater like when it was in analog mode?