• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR6350 not working as programmed?

tbrownell

I have 10 XPR6350 units. All units are the same model and software (fw# R01.12.17/cp ver# 13.02.03). I was able to program a codeplug with 6 channels and clone it to 9 of the 10. Those 9 work fine. All 10 have different id#'s and names programmed.

The last one says it completed successfully and when read, it shows the correct codeplug programming (channels and settings) just like the other 9 but only acts like it has 4 channels (none that match any of the 6 in the codeplug).

I ran it through the device recovery procedure and it still acted like it had 4 channels programmed even though the default codeplug didn't have anything setup. I then tried cloning my codeplug to it, it again said it completed successfully with the same result.

Any ideas or am I missing something?

RadioGuy7268

The XPR6000 series is known for having channel selector controls that physically fail. I'd spend a minute or two checking to see if the solder joints were still good, and then I'd chuck it and find another radio. The selector controls can be replaced, but it's probably not worth the cost/effort when good used radios of the same model go for $50.

tbrownell

The XPR6000 series is known for having channel selector controls that physically fail. I'd spend a minute or two checking to see if the solder joints were still good, and then I'd chuck it and find another radio. The selector controls can be replaced, but it's probably not worth the cost/effort when good used radios of the same model go for $50.
The radio acts like its programmed to something when the selector switch is in 1 thru 4 but gives the "unprogrammed" bonk when in 5 and above so I wasn't thinking about the switch. I popped the unit apart and re soldered the channel switch just in case with no change in behaver.

fyi - channels 1-2 of this codeplug are analog repeaters, 3-4 are analog simplex with 5&6 being digital simplex. Pressing the Ptt button causes the radio to tx but nothing comes across on any of the other radios on any of the channels 1-4.

N4KVE

It’s the channel switch. I have a 6550 where instead of the switch choosing ch 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16, it goes to 1 2 2 1 5 6 6 5 9 10 10 9 13 14 14 13. Otherwise the radio works fine. Not worth fixing with 6550’s being $50 these days. So I just use it for ch 1, & 2.

EWC_BDN

put the radio into test mode by pressing the top or bottom black programmable button 5 times right after power up. (only one of them whill do it, but idk which)

this will add beeps when you change channels while in test mode. move the selector around. You'll hear extra beeps when you aren't actually moving the selector enough. or missing beeps when there should be.

this a this most common failure ever honestly. Motorola even made a video and jig so you could replace it with basic tools. idk if i would recommend fixing it, but a Motorola shop somewhere will have the parts and experience to fix this. (if they don't someone else will)

Supper super common.

tbrownell

Thank you all for the information. Maybe I'll tear it back down and use it as practice for de-soldering/soldering and test my luck.

Where are we finding the $50ish 6550/6350's?

For that price, I wouldn't mind picking a few more up. Most of our radio fleet is still ht750/1250's but I'd like to slowly move toward some newer (to me) stuff and one of my repeaters is a xpr8400.

N4KVE

Thank you all for the information. Maybe I'll tear it back down and use it as practice for de-soldering/soldering and test my luck.

Where are we finding the $50ish 6550/6350's?

For that price, I wouldn't mind picking a few more up. Most of our radio fleet is still ht750/1250's but I'd like to slowly move toward some newer (to me) stuff and one of my repeaters is a xpr8400.
I get mine from a guy named Ryan Owens who is always at the Orlando Hamfest with a box full of them. They are trade in’s, & for that price they are radio only. No battery, antenna, or charger, but I have plenty of those.