• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL 5000 ADP encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnPD-3

My first time here. Apologies for my newbie inexperience. My agency (through cost-cutting measures) just purchased a batch of used XTL 5000's. I we sent them to a Moto distributor to have programmed but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and don't like the way certain things were set up. I have a MOL and have the Astro 25 CPS. I've been able to "fix" everything that I can without the original ASK except for the encryption. It is currently set to "Hardware" but our APX 4000 are programmed for simple ADP. When I try to change the XTL 5000's from hardware to ADP I get the eye glasses and can't make the change. Any help?

N1GTL

Database Admin
I believe you need the hardware to remove the encryption.

JohnPD-3

Thanks for the reply but I guess I don't quite follow you. What hardware are you referring to? Are you saying that an installed encryption module that may be present (and the selected encryption in the CPS) would need to be removed first?

gary123

you need to have the flash code for software encryption. If you have that then you can select software encryption in the radio wide setting and reprogram your key to what you need.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If the radio also uses hardware encryption, like AES, you may need a KVL with ADP to load it that way.
I know on the APX series, if you use hardware encryption also, then you can't software load the ADP key....it has to be done from a KVL.
if the radio has AES but is not used, then I don't know.

SCPD

QRT
Like said, either the 5000s don't have software based ADP like your APX does where you can enter it into the cps. The 5000 most likley either does nkt have ADP dsp software or it has ADP on the ucm board which in that case a kvl loader would be needed that does ADP. Since your agency does things in house it would be wise to create a chain of custody form, a secure room or area, and only 1 or 2 having access to the kvl you should acquire. Be sure to purchase a kvl that does ADP, and AES or other formats you may use on either radios down road. Once acquired do not give the keys out. Create a chain of custody form, log dates what radios were done and who has access to kvl. Having a person seeing over it such as a chief or ranking person who's credible also helps ensure the keys are not leaked to public, friends, family. If your using ADP which I don't reccomend for crack reasons, but must use it ensure the code plugs are LOCKED to prevent users, or others from monkeying around such as when a unit goes into a mechanic shop, auto shop, detail shop etc. We had caught a few places trying to read our radios before.

N4KVE

When I worked for a Buick dealer years ago, the FBI was a customer. Whenever they had to leave a car, I would see the agent leaving the dealer with the trunk mounted radio in his hand. They had carry handles back then. They were never left in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.