• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xtl2500 random out of range

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnahigian

I have several hundred of these radios and randomly for no reason at all one will begin to flash out of range and will no work on our trunking system. This has happened to dozens of them.
In service mode they test right on freqnecy for Recv and transmit on freq and on power programmed.

Motorola can not give me any ideas as far as a firmware problem. I have to send them to the depot and they simply factory reset the radio and I dump the codeplug back in and its fine. Is there a way I can factory reset the radio or a way to empty the code plug so it has no data and rebuild it?? Im at a lose

Thanks

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
What kind of trunking system are they on? Smartnet, SmartZone, P25???

W0JJK

Does a spare work in that install fine? Dash or remote mount?

We had our installer incorrectly install an APX65000 and acted this way until he followed install manual.

hitechRadio

I have several hundred of these radios and randomly for no reason at all one will begin to flash out of range and will no work on our trunking system. This has happened to dozens of them.
In service mode they test right on freqnecy for Recv and transmit on freq and on power programmed.

Motorola can not give me any ideas as far as a firmware problem. I have to send them to the depot and they simply factory reset the radio and I dump the codeplug back in and its fine. Is there a way I can factory reset the radio or a way to empty the code plug so it has no data and rebuild it?? Im at a lose

Thanks

Is this is happening at a close distance to the tower? If so.....this may sound crazy, but next time it happens take the antenna OFF the vehicle. And see if it goes back to normal.

I would say they are not doing a simple factory reset, I would be willing to bet that they are replacing the board. Usually for something like your problem (that is a critical problem) they will not spend the the time to wait for the intermittent to happen, they just replace the board, cheaper for them in the long run. Unless this is happening with many radio's and you opened a case and the radio/s will go to a differnt repair center to investigate the problem.

rnahigian

its a P25 system. And yes we are very close to the tower. within 4 miles of it at our farthest point.
Normally When you turn the radio on you will see the TX light 3 times whiles its registering with the system. but for no reason at all it will transmitt about 10 times looking for the system and then just flash "out of Range" Once it does that it will never work without a trip to the depot. Yet when the problem happens i put an analizer on it and it is dead on freq and rx and tx thresholds are way in normal limits.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
If it is a multi-zone system it might like a more distant tower that its EID is not permitted to be on. It then gets rejected and goes stupid. Without knowing the way the EID's are programmed into the controller and having the codeplug looked at closely, it is nothing more than a SWAG here.

Your best bet is to contact the system owner/administrator so he can look at the ATIA stream to see exactly what the radios are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.