• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000 Programming -Instruction

CaptRyan

I was wondering if anyone that knows Motorola CPS for XTS 3000 and 5000 would be willing to do an instructional time with me to walk me through tricks and tips and correctly programming specifically a XTS 3000 III radio. It is working and was fully programmed but I want to change the channels and activate the features and make sure it is as up to date as an old radio can be. I know I can send it to a shop or take it to one, but I would like to learn to do it myself if possible. I have gone over the guides but know that a Zoom session for about an hour or less would help. I am happy to pay for the Zoom time. Thank you in advance for the suggestions. .
Model: H09SDH9PW7BN

CaptRyan

Thank you all for the first lesson. I have the CPS for both models and the cables for both as well. I can read the radios and see teh settings, etc. I have several 5000's and one 3000. I want to program them for GMRS radios and also to scan (not tx) other local channels. I would also like to add in my local repeaters, etc. More than anything I want to make sure the radio is set up with the correct frequencies, and that the necessary settings are enabled. I would also like to ensure that anything that is not needed is turned off since it was a prior public safety radio.
The flashcode is: 100004-000000-4

Asunakiyori

Lurker
Thank you for your reply the FlashCode is: 100004-000000-4
Assuming your area has a Type II or Astro system..... you can do that.. but.. thats about it plus GMRS (if its a UHF). there's not much that will do. If they decommissioned that system you have no worry leaving those features on. Just not used. In order to completely disable features you need a special program and a special cable. Most reason why public safety gets rid of old radios like the 3000's and 5000's is they wont work with the newer systems.

The 3000 will not Alias ID numbers like the 2500/5000's can

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
Send me a DM, I would be happy to help you out for free. Might not be for a little while though, among work and school I am pretty busy. You'll need to buy a RIB and a RIB to XTS3000/HT1000/MT2000 etc cable, or RIBless cable. Although appearing identical, a cable for an XTS1500/2500/5000 will not work with a 3000.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Q806 Astro Digital and H37 Smartnet Operation are the only features the radio is flashed for. You don't need to turn off anything just don't program any personalities with Astro Digital or for Trunking and you'll be fine.
He could not program a trunking system even if he wanted to, because he lacks a system key. Even if he had a syst key, he would be limited to Type 2 trunking because the XTS3000 won't do 9600 baud trunking on VHF or UHF.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
He could not program a trunking system even if he wanted to, because he lacks a system key. Even if he had a syst key, he would be limited to Type 2 trunking because the XTS3000 won't do 9600 baud trunking on VHF or UHF.
There are ways of convincing it to do 9600 baud on those bands and without a system key, however unless I missed something I don’t think the author has any desire to do trunking programming.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
The XTS3000 only does 9600 baud trunking on 800MHz, which very specific HOST and DSP. Only 3600 baud on VHF and UHF

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Motorola’s help file in CPS is excellent. It allowed me to help myself and understand the settings. Seriously, start using it. Mouse over the fields and start there. Then dig deeper as needed. If you truly want to learn.

It is not meant for an amateur/casual user. It requires effort. Oh yeah, sell the 3000 and get another 5000.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I would wager its been a while since the radios have seen a service monitor, especially the XTS3000. Might be a good idea to touch up the reference osc at a minimum.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
First step is to read the radio and save a backup of the code plug. The reasoning being it is fairly easy to make changes in your code plug that CPS will highlight in RED and then it won’t write to the radio and it may be confusing how to get rid of the RED. Backup your code plug and make a few small changes slowly.

Next you noted that your xts3000 is an “S” split so for gmrs or listening to LMR/public safety you are fine. For ham uhf you will need to hex edit the code plug to change you radios operating range downward; you can google instructions here on rr. Again backup the files before you alter them.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Im sure a very few Public Safety organizations do.

Not to further derail this thread... but there's 642 Motorola systems in the database. Many are public safety related and active, plenty are Type 2.