Yellow Alert for Aircraft Emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I can speak for Oakland Airport, as I worked in the control tower there for a number of years. A Yellow Alert is used when an air carrier type aircraft is coming in for a landing with some sort of problem. You must have heard Alameda FD being dispatched this afternoon. They roll to assist the OFD to stand by in case the plane crashes. Now, an actual crash is a Red Alert. On the North Field, where smaller planes fly, you will hear Alert 1 for an inbound emergency and Alert 2 for an actual crash. Most Yellow Alerts are for airliners with flap problems, hydraulic problems, bad gear indication, etc.

Dave
Fremont

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I had Alert 1 and 2 reversed. I'm posting from the link listed a few posts above. This is good info:

Metropolitan Oakland International Airport - OAK FAA ARFF Index D
(Soon to be dropping to "C")
Follow "Tradtional" Stand-by and response methods

We use a Different Alert Designation that is determined by Aircraft Weight (Cut-off is 12, 500 lbs.) due to our Airport having two Airports to cover so we don't commit all apparatus (5 ARFF Crash Apparatus totalling over 12, 000 gallons of water) to a GA airplane but still meet Index product delivery for Commercial aircraft.

"Red" Alert - Aircraft over 12,500 lbs. on the ground that has crashed or is in distress

"Yellow" Alert - Aircraft over 12,500 lbs. inbound declaring an emergency

"Alert 1" - Aircraft under 12,500 lbs. on the ground that has crashed or is in distress

"Alert 2" - Aircraft under 12,500 lbs. inbound declaring an emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.