York County EMS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Hi all: I'm relocating to the Charlotte area, and notice that Piedmont Hospital is looking for Paramedics. As I'm looking for a job, I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on how EMS works in York County.

Are the medics hospital based? Does the fire department do ALS? Do local squads have paramedics or just EMTs? Do the medics respond in an ambulance ot sprint car to rendezvous with vollie squads?

I can't seem to find any info on how things work down there... any help?

Thanks,

Signal45

The system is hospital based, meaning in management, county may contribute to EMS budget, but not too sure. There are EMS sub-stations located throughout the county. EMS employees have option of working 12 hr or 24 hr shifts. Pay is above average for this area, but it's a busy service or was when I worked there several yrs ago. Don't remember any Rescue Squads that transported pt's, although the Fire Depts call some of their units that 1st respond Rescue Squads-I think. The only Fire Dept that had Paramedics was Rock Hill and can't remember if they were full ALS-they may have been Intermediate EMT level. Some of the Medics worked EMS too. Anyway, Rock Hill has a jam up Fire Dept. There were 2 supervisor unit's, QRV's, that would respond and backup transport units when needed. Overall it was a good place to work, ran some good calls while working there. Hope this helps.

Signal45

Forgot to add, had a severe brain fart. There are a few Rescue Squads that transport! Fort Mill Rescue had Paramedics 24/7 and had paid staff and volunteers. Tega Cay was another Squad and seemed like there was couple more Squad's that transported pt's. If I can remember there names I'll post'em and welcome to the sunny south, hope the shock isn't too bad! Sorry for the confusion.

fmfd53

york county EMS

this should help you thye county is a hopital based ems service thay run 10 - 12 ems trucks full als 12 hr trucks and 2 medic superviser chase trucks the only 2 fire deprtments that do 1st reasponder is rock hill city and york I don't know is rock hill city fire is als yet york county also has rescue squads york,clover,riverhills hickry grove and fort mill rescue / tega cay murged with fort mill thay are full als and have full time medics and also volenteer fort mill is an awsome squad if you want to get your foot in the door in the county thay are the leaders in in a lot of pilot programs in the state ..
york county is behinde its time in ems when it comes to fire Dept,1st reasponders thats the only downfall to the county ems system .
peidmont EMS is the Hospital base county ems system but you have the rescue squads to but Fort mill rescue gives peidmont a run for there money and thay are really good .if you know what i mean thay have 4 als trucks 2 medic chase trucks 2 boats and a heavy rescue truck and a superviser chase car

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Awesome! Thanks y'all. This is what I was hoping for. There are vast differences in the way each region runs EMS, so I appreciate getting the lay of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.