You Gotta Be Kidding:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

I am putting this in here for some help on the fly as I am in the middle of reconfiguring my entire computer:mad: after I got the bright idea to install my older 2008 "GTR" racing simulator into my 2-week-old HP Envy 23.
Oh it installed completely. Then I went and clicked on the GTR icon and the thing went blue for 3 minutes and three launches of an "automatic repair" mode, then a screen came up saying this "game" needed some digital admin approval stuff then when I restarted it it wouldn't reboot.
So I wound up choosing the only option that got me back online-"refresh computer".
What the hell happened??? All I did was install a stupid simulator game!
The (brand new) computer is fine, but I lost ALL favorites, configs, pics, just everything. I am livid. It even kicked out my security!
Off to continue reconfigs-looks like late dinner.
Just wanting to know what happened? Did this thing "crash"? Where's the interruptive warning telling a guy this will jack things up if installed??? Thx.

CapStar362

thats a interesting one... whats the exact title of the game?

"repair mode" <-- elaborate? internal Windows, or some kind of program related to the game thing?

does the game have DRM? thats the only thing i can think of for "Digital Admin"

im assuming windows 8.1 ( possibly Update 1 as well )

being you have probably over written the data, id have to see the logs of the "Old" windows specifically the Event Viewer. did it by chance, make a "Windows.old" folder? look in C:\ for that particular folder. if its there, you still have everything you had before.... pics docs, favorites. if you can dig it up, i need the event logs. these can be found in the .old folder under: \System32\config as .evt or .evtx files

ridgescan

Thanks for reply-the 2 disc set is titled GTR-2, Game Of The Year Edition by Viva Media. I installed the second disc titled GT Legends ('65 Vette, a Cobra, Mustang etc,) which installed into my old 2007 HP Pavillion just fine back in the day. I don't get what happened. BTW, it did install "successfully". The repair thing was coming from the computer. It didn't want to restart after this.
Also, I am NOT installing that disc again. NOT worth all this!
Gonna go eat-eyes are burning lol

CapStar362

not asking you to install again.... did you even look for the info i asked about?

im looking around, it seems 8 has a issue with the coding of the game itself. how "Much" of a computer is this hardware wise?

Specs?

if you have the capability, use a VM, either XP Mode ( should be included with Win8 Pro or better ) , or even a 3rd party VM like VMWare. and run a stand alone XP Virtual Machine. run GTR-2 from there

EDIT: yeah, you can easily run a VM on that machine and play GTR-2

Last edited:

ridgescan

Sorry if my text looked rude CapStar, I know you weren't saying to reinstall it I just was stating my intention.
I just posted here to hopefully learn what happened and why. I think that was my clear question in post #1:)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Windows 8 does some weird things running programs that worked just peachy on XP and 7 machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Windows 8 does some weird things running programs that worked just peachy on XP and 7 machines.

CapStar362

yeah it does, and the reason? all this BS DRM Checking and "digital" locker crap..... new kernels without the dedicated legacy available without a dedicated VM.... bunch of crap

exactly why old games dont work, because the kernel is checking for the DRM but it cant find it.... it panics essentially.

Ridge, if you do happen to have that windows.old folder, i CAN tell you exactly what happened. it will be there. i just need to get the old event viewer logs from that .old folder

Project25_MASTR

I used to have a problem with HPs that if you removed some of the bloat ware and then installed two programs (one being Roxio) in a specific order, it would blue screen 7 every time. Talking about BSOD on machines that had literately been out of the box for 20 min.

ridgescan

Ridge, if you do happen to have that windows.old folder, i CAN tell you exactly what happened. it will be there. i just need to get the old event viewer logs from that .old folder
Na it's cool. The computer's fine now. Thanks for the effort though:)
Bottom line is W8 blows. But I'll live with it. Just an old grouch who's used to W7. And liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.