Yuma AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo6

I've been in scanning since the days of the Patrolman Pro-8, but I've fallen out of the loop lately. My last main scanner purchases were the Pro-2035 and the AOR-8000.

I thought about getting back into it again, but it appears that Yuma has gone completely digital (maybe even patrol encrypted), and I'm getting conflicting information on whether or not they can be monitored.

One person says yes, and another says no, unless you go the the Police Department and get the codes, which I doubt they would readily hand out to anyone (though I'm not really sure which codes were referenced).

Can anyone tell me if there is a scanner that will receive both sides of a conversation, and can it be easily programmed? I've thought about the HomePatrol-1, but I'm not sure that would work. When it was originally listed, I think the web page indicated that it would receive Yuma Police. Since then, they list it, but not as a trunked system.

I've scanned the forums, and other sites, but seem to get the same confusing answers, including frequencies that were active back in the 90's.

Excuse the sounding rather naive, but there have been some major leaps-and-bounds since I last actively scanned anything.

Thanks in advance.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
Yuma County, Arizona (AZ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I copied the above location from this website under "Database" at the top of this page. Just drill down (Arizona, then Yuma County, then peruse the list. They all look conventional, no trunk, nor digital, to me (probably wrong, someone will correct).

You have Rural Metro, City of Yuma, and a few more individual towns for fire, looks like easy scanning.

Good Luck,

Rob

zippo6

Thanks for the response.

That information is slightly outdated - from the mid 90's, when the Yuma Police Department used standard UHF in the 460 band. In the late 90s, early 2000s, they went to Erickson LTR, then within the last couple of years they switched to P25 (Digital).

rwier

Premium Subscriber
Oops, sorry. Wow, scanner enthusiasts in the Yuma area must be rare for RR to be that far behind. If you live in that area you could easily become RR's Yuma Connection. Help out those that might be interested in that area by helping to update the RR database.

zippo6

Sorry again, I didn't look close enough at the page I listed early above. Down at the bottom "YRCS" goes to here:

Yuma Regional Communications System, (YRCS) Trunking System, Yuma, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies

That looks a lot better, and it should already be in your radio (if you have a HP-1)!

Yep - that's the information I was looking at yesterday, but the more I read, the less I think any one scanner can receive the transmissions, both base and mobile. In one place there was an indication that all transmission from mobile were scrambled.

It seems, though I couldn't say for sure, as though the PD has been trying to foil listeners since the days of the Johnson LTR (I misspoke stating Erickson - it was EF Johnson), so I wouldn't doubt it if the scrambling were true.

I would jump at the HP-1 if I could be sure it would pick up the majority of the traffic, but $500 is a little too steep for me if it will only capture dispatch.

Thanks again for all the information.

zippo6

Sounds good.

I guess I have to take the plunge and buy the radio.

Thanks again for all the responses.

SCPD

QRT
An HP-1 seems like it might be a very good scanner. Time will tell. If you are only picking up one side of the conversations there is something I'm missing here about the new regional system, or you aren't programming something correctly. Trunked systems all have repeaters and both sides of the conversation are carried on them.

The HP-1 has a lot of features you may not need and don't need to pay for. A standard trunk tracking digital scanner should work and they are less expensive than the HP-1. But, like I said, I might not have enough specific local knowledge of that particular system.

epn440

Yuma Az

Ok so if you live in Yuma like I do just be ready for one sided communication most dispatch channels are in the clear just dispatch. Yuma Police has started to dispatch non encrypted again 106 . Yuma Fire 132 Sheriffs 205 they all only have dispatcher no units. 601 Quechan is both dispatch and units. Hope this helps you might also want to list to Rural Metro 154.3250 they go to everything in Yuma.

zippo6

Ok so if you live in Yuma like I do just be ready for one sided communication most dispatch channels are in the clear just dispatch. Yuma Police has started to dispatch non encrypted again 106 . Yuma Fire 132 Sheriffs 205 they all only have dispatcher no units. 601 Quechan is both dispatch and units. Hope this helps you might also want to list to Rural Metro 154.3250 they go to everything in Yuma.

Unfortunately, that's what I heard. $500 seems a little too much for a one sided conversation - heck, I can get that for free just staying home.

You say that Yuma Police are dispatching in the clear. I take that to mean that the patrol units are encrypted. So, the HP1, or any scanner for that matter, would be severely limited.

Oh well, I was going to go with the HP1, but decided to wait to see what the GRE 800 has in store. Glad I did wait.

Thanks

Astrak

Unfortunately, that's what I heard. $500 seems a little too much for a one sided conversation - heck, I can get that for free just staying home.

You say that Yuma Police are dispatching in the clear. I take that to mean that the patrol units are encrypted. So, the HP1, or any scanner for that matter, would be severely limited.

Oh well, I was going to go with the HP1, but decided to wait to see what the GRE 800 has in store. Glad I did wait.

Thanks

The 800 won't let you hear encryption, but it should be an interesting scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.