Zello question

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
I am using Zello to share a scanner feed with our Fire Dept. Members. My question is, the feed volume cuts/drops out during the transmission on the scanner. Do I have a setting that maybe overdriven? the vox setting is on to share the feed. It is a slider. There are other sliders as well. It would appear something is being overdriven and then cuts out. Thanks for any answers.

a417

It would help to share what your settings are. The information provided is grossly inadequate.

Right now we have no information to guess what may be too high, too low, misconfigured...etc.

Last edited:

a417

what output are you using on whatever scanner you have? What input are you using on the computer?
(also information that would have helped up front.)

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
It is a Uniden BCD996P2. BTW I am using the "Record Out" so that the scanner can be listened to while in the presence of the scanner.

a417

Ok. And the audio that comes out of the speaker does not exhibit the same issues that the audio into the zello feed does? yes?

Does your computer have a line in device, as well?

My feed's setting.

Activation Threshold = -40
De-activation Thres. = -70
Trigger time = 200 ms
Relaxation time = 900 ms
Playback device = 0
Recording device = 90 (using a line-in on an external sound device on a VM instance)
Noise Suppression = yes
Force HQ to disable bitrate autotuning = yes

Last edited:

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
That is correct. That volume is steady and does not cut out. As you would expect.

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
Yes and it is fine. It is definitely some type of limit that is being reached Orr overdriven

blacktop

Feed Provider
Hey Joe...how are you making out with your Zello? Just my two cents...I've used Zello for many years. I've always found 'it's in the levels' to get it working correctly. I usually use the audio out (not line) from my scanners. I also have just a 'mic in' on my computers (I just run really old gear). Keep the volume out from the scanner quite low so as not to overdrive things. I usually end up with my Zello Activation Threshold at about 27. Deactivation between 40 & 50. I keep my attack at 100, and relax at 600 - 700. Those numbers are a general guide. Of my 6 distinct Zello feeds on different computers, there is a bit of variability, but those should be somewhere close to those numbers that work. It can get a little frustrating getting the app input to grab the audio consistently, yet staying quiet when I should. I end up playing with it until I get it working.

I can understand that you might get some drop-offs at -40 if your scanner audio output is a bit low. I do encourage you to play with it, I do like the Zello functionality, especially when on a mobile device for listening. Satisfying when you can get it working.

Good luck...

cheers

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
All, it's much improved but I notice that agencies with an initial blast at the beginning of a transmission, it cuts out. Could you suggest which particular setting I could adjust?

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
Ok so I tried the Line In. Only way i could get a stream was when I turned off the squelch and the static was streamed. When I turned the squelch back up it wouldn't stream what was on the scanner. Any ideas?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I tried the Line In. Only way i could get a stream was when I turned off the squelch and the static was streamed. When I turned the squelch back up it wouldn't stream what was on the scanner. Any ideas?
Is there a per channel setting to activate the record out on signal reception