DMR One Frequency Not RX when scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
So I have both a SDS100 & SDS200 That are both programmed the same. and connected to the same outdoor antenna.

All service types are selected.

I set up a One Channel DMR System to listen to my OpenSpot2 Hotspot (Named OpenSpot).

While scanning a few FL, and there is activity on my Openspot, neither scanner will stop on the OpenSpot and play the DMR audio (I do see the activity on signal strength)

If I hold the SYSTEM on OpenSpot, the DMR traffic does come thru properly.

I have both Unit ID's and TGID programmed.

Why are the scanners missing while in scan mode?

IMG_3511.jpg

Last edited:

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
So I have both a SDS100 & SDS200 That are both programmed the same. and connected to the same outdoor antenna.

I set up a One Channel DMR System to listen to my OpenSpot2 Hotspot (Named OpenSpot).

While scanning a few FL, and there is activity on my Openspot, neither scanner will stop on the OpenSpot and play the DMR audio (I do see the activity on signal strength)

View attachment 110930
When these scanners first came out, I seem to recall that they didn't receive simplex DMR very well if at all. After a number of firmware upgrades, that situation improved. Are the firmware versions in both scanners up-to-date?

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
When these scanners first came out, I seem to recall that they didn't receive simplex DMR very well if at all. After a number of firmware upgrades, that situation improved. Are the firmware versions in both scanners up-to-date?
yes they are

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

View attachment 110930
No idea if any of this applies to your situation, but:

You've programmed the TGID & UIDs.
Did you assign a slot, or is that set as "any".

Service type is enabled I presume?

Is this system in a Favorites list that uses Location Control?
If so, have you entered location data for both the site as well as the Department?

Past that, can you post your programming file? At least the part that includes your problematic DMR system?

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
No idea if any of this applies to your situation, but:

You've programmed the TGID & UIDs.
Did you assign a slot, or is that set as "any".

Service type is enabled I presume?

Is this system in a Favorites list that uses Location Control?
If so, have you entered location data for both the site as well as the Department?

Past that, can you post your programming file? At least the part that includes your problematic DMR system?

I tried both ANY and Slot 2.
ALL service types are enabled.
No location control in the FL

Change the attached file extenfion from TXT to hpe

Attachments

• Open Spot - SharkRF.txt
    278.8 KB · Views: 25

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I tried both ANY and Slot 2.
ALL service types are enabled.
No location control in the FL

Change the attached file extenfion from TXT to hpe
At this point, I'm as puzzled as you are. Your file looks good, nothing missing or incorrect that might catch my attention. Even though you say you are not using location, I do see that you have location details entered, so that is unlikely to be an issue.

You have verified that your quick key is enabled in your profile?

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I've had this same problem on my SDS200 at least. I haven't really tried it on the SDS100. Your hotspot, or Open Spot, I'm assuming is somewhere fairly close by?

I've noticed sometimes it only seems to get my RF from the DMR radio to the hotspot and then other times it seems to get the replies and more of the traffic on the talkgroup we use. I just haven't taken the time to try to figure out what's going on and I've put it off for quite a while. I've tried to figure it out a few times but I really haven't delved into it deeply. It's like it works partially some of the time. It is a little frustrating because I'd like to let it record the DMR TGID that me and some friends use. I've always wondered if the fact that a lot of the DMR traffic is coming from the internet and then to RF on a lower power TX setting whether or not that plays into account anything going on? The DMR radio I use has no trouble getting the signals and I can walk down the street and use the mini stub antenna and still talk on it with no trouble. So I highly doubt that receiving the transmission is a issue in my case anyway. Especially since the SDS200 is hooked up to a good outside antenna up in the air.

Anyhow, I don't really have any helpful tips or information because it sounds like you've done what needs to be done and checked everything. But I am curious to know if anybody knows a solution or if Uniden has an issue and they plan on fixing it? Good luck...

Brian
COMMSCAN

sfb88

I'm kind of talking out of turn here since I am not an expert by any means. Since you are talking about monitoring a close by transmitter, is there any possibility of the scanners being desensed by the signal strength?

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I created another FL and made it Conventional. The scanner plays the audio every time in scan mode.

Could it be the ID Search is slow on the DMR One Channel?

I was using the DMR One Channel because I wanted to see the TGID and Unit ID that I added in the FL

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I created another FL and made it Conventional. The scanner plays the audio every time in scan mode.

Could it be the ID Search is slow on the DMR One Channel?

I was using the DMR One Channel because I wanted to see the TGID and Unit ID that I added in the FL
I have not seen a problem as far as 'slow ID Search' goes, on any of my x36HP & SDS series scanners go. I use DMR OFT on several local systems, to try and determine if they are using DMR in a conventional mode, or is there really a true DMR trunked system in play. Of course, on these 'exploratory' systems, I don't have multiple talkgroups in place, nor multiple UIDs.

Since you have no reception issues, hearing transmissions when in conventional mode, that answers the question as to whether you are in range, and also whether the scanner went "deaf" because a transmission was too close. While it does not receive in OFT, but then does when holding on the frequency confirms that there was no collateral damage to the scanner from nearby transmitters.

In my opinion, the issue has to be something in the OFT system. As I mentioned earlier, verify that the quick keys for the system, site, and department are enabled.

But your thing about "slow ID Search' may be a clue. Your file, when imported into a Favorites list, is over 900kb, knocking on the door of the 1Mb limit for a favorites list.

Try making a duplicate of your OFT system, with either a single 'dummy' TGID, or only a couple of local ones, and with either zero, of at most a bare handful of UIDs. See if that receives. If it does, then the huge number of TGIDs & UIDs in your current system is impeding the scanner so much that it receives nothing. If you do, then, receive transmissions via ID Search, then the size issue is the problem. I have not seen comments about that in the past, but there is always the chance of a 'first time'.

racingfan360

I haven't retested this I years, but AFAIK there is an unknown and unresolved issue with OFT. In the past and extensively tested when DMR then NXDN added to the 436, but I could run two units side by side...the 436 in conventional got all the hits and yet the one in OFT only got some. Swap them over and you'd get the same results. I can't remember if repeater signals faired better than single/simplex. So i generally only program in conventional. Most annoying is the need to leave the alpha tag blank in order to get TGID and RID displayed...all that screen size and yet so little of it can be used.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I already tried another FL with no tgid or user id, and the results were the same. I never used the QK feature before, but I added them based on your response.

I have a MMDVM hotspot also, and that works flawlessly bringing up my big list of Tgid, and user ID while scanning.

I’ll play some more with this, my old 536hp handled this with no problems.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I've found my SDS100 to be deaf/non-responsive most of the time on DMR OFT Simplex Systems...
Until I tried the filter Invert, Then, Voila, all of the sudden the scanner started passing audio.
The filters are worth experimenting with, All I'm saying
;)

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I've found my SDS100 to be deaf/non-responsive most of the time on DMR OFT Simplex Systems...
Until I tried the filter Invert, Then, Voila, all of the sudden the scanner started passing audio.
The filters are worth experimenting with, All I'm saying
;)
No luck with Invert, I tried all the filter options

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I haven't retested this I years, but AFAIK there is an unknown and unresolved issue with OFT. In the past and extensively tested when DMR then NXDN added to the 436, but I could run two units side by side...the 436 in conventional got all the hits and yet the one in OFT only got some. Swap them over and you'd get the same results. I can't remember if repeater signals faired better than single/simplex. So i generally only program in conventional. Most annoying is the need to leave the alpha tag blank in order to get TGID and RID displayed...all that screen size and yet so little of it can be used.

what do you mean " leave the alpha tag blank in order to get TGID and RID displayed "

racingfan360

what do you mean " leave the alpha tag blank in order to get TGID and RID displayed "
When you write a conventional system/dept to the 436, you have to enter the freq and have the option to write or leave blank the alpha tag for this entry. If you add the alpha tag, upon decode it will find/only show the digital mode (eg DMR, NX48, NX96) and the CC or RAN. But in order to show/decode the TGID and RID you must leave this blank. If you manually enter this channel, again if you modify the alpha tag it wont show the TGID or RID.

Ubbe

Both scanners seem to leave the frequency very quickly, less than 1,5 sec that are the default, that could indicate it doesn't decode the data properly. Try adding a hold time of 2 sec and if that doesn't make it stay for 2 sec on that frequency it must be some incompatiblity issue in the scanner with that hotspot.

Try adding one dummy TG specified to use only slot 1 and another TG for slot2 so that the scanner has to check both slots. It might also be some kind of compression distorsion when the signal strength are -30dBm so try with the Attenuator enabled on that system.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.