SDS100/SDS200: Conventional Channel DMR vs DMR One Frequency Reception

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
When I program a specific frequency as a conventional channel DMR, I have no problem with reception. When I program the same frequency as a DMR One Frequency, I get nothing. I wouldn't care, but there is another user of this frequency that uses the same color code with encryption.

I believe that I have the DMR One Frequency programmed correctly. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Is this a filter setting issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it’s the same user on both encrypted and unencrypted transmissions you are hearing… how can you determine the encrypted signal is not the same user?

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe that they are the same user because the TGIDs of the encrypted user don't match the numbering scheme of the other user. Either way, by using DMR One Frequency, I can isolate one from the other.

The problem is that I can receive them when programmed as a conventional channel DMR, but not as a DMR One Frequency.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
SDS100

ID Search disabled. Unencrypted talkgroup programmed as channel in department using ProScan.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Compare the UIDs/RIDs active on both the encrypted and unencrypted TGs you mentioned. If they match or are close, good chance they could be the same user.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Lankenau Hospital

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
461.8375WQSU720RMCC 1
TG 21
SL 1
LankHospSecSecurity

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I'm really not concerned if they are the same user or not. I'm trying to only listen to the unencrypted talkgroup. You can't filter talkgroups when programmed as a conventional channel DMR, but can when programmed as a DMR One Frequency. Unfortunately, I can't receive anything when I program the frequency as a DMR One Frequency. I don't understand what the difference in programming is or if I am doing something wrong.

Compare the UIDs/RIDs active on both the encrypted and unencrypted TGs you mentioned. If they match or are close, good chance they could be the same user.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm really not concerned if they are the same user or not. I'm trying to only listen to the unencrypted talkgroup. You can't filter talkgroups when programmed as a conventional channel DMR, but can when programmed as a DMR One Frequency. Unfortunately, I can't receive anything when I program the frequency as a DMR One Frequency. I don't understand what the difference in programming is or if I am doing something wrong.
Not sure what is happening for you. I use DMR One Frequency Trunked systems on several local agencies, with no problems.

If you create the OFT manually, are you using it in a Favorites list that uses Location Control? If you are, then you would need location details entered both for the site (the single frequency of interest) as well as the Department, with your programmed talkgroup. Are you also entering the slot for your programmed talkgroup? If you are, then if they use Slot 2 (not the Slot 1 in the database entry) the scanner will not stop on it. I would not specify the slot. When programming it, make sure that the text tag for the talkgroup, Security, is enabled in your Profile as well as the scanner. (If not enabled in your profile, then that TGID would not be downloaded from Sentinel, and would indicate as 'not used' when trying to enable the type in the scanner alone.)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'm familiar with the aforementioned hospital security channel. It isn't terribly busy to begin with. Though I didn't have Proscan available at the moment I was able to program it by hand on my 436HP as DMR OFT & enabled ID Search. Didn't have any issues picking up the small number of transmissions I observed while I was in the area & able to monitor. So yeah as mentioned above, turn off location control, check timeslot (slot 1) & ensure service type (security) is turned on

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Just a bit of background:

The encryption started around the beginning of October. I'm hearing it on:

461.8375 SL 1/2 CC 1 TGID 102
463.9875 Same
462.4000 Same

I believe that it is coming from University of Pennsylvania FCC Callsign KFE659 (UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA) because 462.4000 is not a Main Line Health frequency FCC Callsign WQSU720 (LANKENAU HOSPITAL) but all three are UofPenn.

I'm familiar with the aforementioned hospital security channel. It isn't terribly busy to begin with. Though I didn't have Proscan available at the moment I was able to program it by hand on my 436HP as DMR OFT & enabled ID Search. Didn't have any issues picking up the small number of transmissions I observed while I was in the area & able to monitor. So yeah as mentioned above, turn off location control, check timeslot (slot 1) & ensure service type (security) is turned on

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I did create the OFT manually. I didn't think of copying the system from the RRDB, so I'm going to try that to see if there is a difference in programming between copy and manual creation.

Location control is unchecked for all of my favorites.

I tried both slot 1 and any without any difference.

I have my service type set to "Hospital", but all service types are checked in my Profile.

Not sure what is happening for you. I use DMR One Frequency Trunked systems on several local agencies, with no problems.

If you create the OFT manually, are you using it in a Favorites list that uses Location Control? If you are, then you would need location details entered both for the site (the single frequency of interest) as well as the Department, with your programmed talkgroup. Are you also entering the slot for your programmed talkgroup? If you are, then if they use Slot 2 (not the Slot 1 in the database entry) the scanner will not stop on it. I would not specify the slot. When programming it, make sure that the text tag for the talkgroup, Security, is enabled in your Profile as well as the scanner. (If not enabled in your profile, then that TGID would not be downloaded from Sentinel, and would indicate as 'not used' when trying to enable the type in the scanner alone.)

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Another update: Lankenau Hospital security will only append to a favorite as a conventional channel in Sentinel. In both Sentinel and ProScan, I cannot convert it to an OFT.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
In the One Frequency Trunk section:

SDS200: - I am needing help programming DMR In this thread, it looks like the OP was unable to find a solution and went back to conventional.

DMR One Frequency Not RX when scanning Sounds like the same problem, but no resolution.

Threads 4 and 6 are the same. The others don't seem applicable.

It seems like a know issue that was addressed with prior firmware updates, but seems to still be there. Maybe Joe Bearcat could look into it?

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll keep plugging away at it.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Here's the latest update:

I switched antennas with the one that I use for my TRX-2 and now I am receiving the OFT fine on my SDS100. My TRX-2 still picks up Lankenau security well, the same as it always did.

Here's my questions:

Does programming a frequency as an OFT result in reduced reception/sensitivity vs. programming as a conventional?

Is this something that can be corrected through a firmware update?

Is it something that Uniden should look at?

I didn't try the invert filter, as was suggested in a prior post. I did try global and off. Can filters affect reception?

What is happening?

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.