Coming Soon, Premium Feed Broadcaster Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweekerbob

Relying with "snarky" concerns... could've been prevented with "we are working on those" and " there are privacy concerns". While I never wanted to quantify the human element behind the website, I simply wanted to illustrate the enormous gap between what was promised and what still will be delivered between the aforementioned dates. Enjoy your much deserved vacation, Lindsay (and fam)!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, an update on the feed offerings. We have made significant progress and are finishing up the final details for a closed beta release.

Right now, the closed beta release is scheduled for Monday August 16th 2010. We've already identified about 8 feeds or so that will participate in the closed beta. We want to run the beta for a generous period to make sure that the stability of the system is solid before we start charging money for the premium features.

Things are looking good and we are pleased with the progress. I'm confident that everyone will be pleased with what we release.

Thanks for your patience!

SCPD

QRT
Any way to say a few of the feeds participating to see how some of the features work (like if they are using the audio lead in to see it in action?)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Be patient. we're getting there. Most of the premium features are in action - we're working through some technical issues this week on the audio lead in components due to the fact that the lead-in MP3 must be the same bitrate as the feed, so we need to alert/check/convert for the user the uploaded MP3.

SCPD

QRT
Be patient. we're getting there. Most of the premium features are in action - we're working through some technical issues this week on the audio lead in components due to the fact that the lead-in MP3 must be the same bitrate as the feed, so we need to alert/check/convert for the user the uploaded MP3.
Oh, ok! Thanks for update!

nate1992

okay so feed providers now have the option to pay to volunteer to get the best stuff i enjoy my feeds on here but i have no interest in paying to volunteer to do it so i guess i will miss out on the extra features
i understand the option to be a premium subscriber but now you have a option to be a premium host to which to me takes away from hosting on here and moves this site more for making money instead of providing a friendly site that every one can enjoy not that this will make any difference but alot of people don't have money with the current financial problems which means that this feature probably wont take off as long as you can host the feed for free & then if you remove the free feature most people wont pay to volunteer the equipment which losses most the support for the site

overall i enjoy the site and its great but i do disagree with this feature
RR keep up the good work & hope this feature works out for you guys but ill stay with the free version
Thank =P

SCPD

QRT
As far as the financial part, this is actually geared for people with money. See the below quote:

This is primarily intended for public safety agencies and commercial entities, however any feed broadcaster could upgrade their feed.

nate1992

As far as the financial part, this is actually geared for people with money. See the below quote:

okay well take for example a fire department they can spend 20$ on new hose,later,screw drive, (something important) or to have the best of the best feature for a feed of there radio on a website.... ( Radio would be something worth spending 20 on ) so which would they chose ( not the radio feed i promise you ) now consider your quote and use some logical thanking
good try though

nate1992

also take your software in your signature with the premium host features feed that your software use may go private ie. you can't use them with your software so if you make money off it this will hurt your pocket too
=O

SCPD

QRT
also take your software in your signature with the premium host features feed that your software use may go private ie. you can't use them with your software so if you make money off it this will hurt your pocket too
=O
I thought about that but I consider most feed providers will want their feeds to remain public (as they started) with or without premium features. Most people will be interested in hearing the big feeds majority of the time and small feeds when something happens.

nate1992

okay so my point that most people wont buy this is true cause its not worth the money also more people listen to feeds that effect them then the big feeds although some people listen to all the feeds the majority listens close to home but im glad you ended up agreeing with me about people not paying for it ( which eventually will probably lead to every one have to pay to host the feed ) < i hope that dont happen though

nate1992

I thought about that but I consider most feed providers will want their feeds to remain public (as they started) with or without premium features. Most people will be interested in hearing the big feeds majority of the time and small feeds when something happens.

what happens when the big feeds go private then you don't have any thing but the small feeds ... that no one listens to
remember that logical thanking from earlier keep using it
i am enjoying the debate your a good sport hope your enjoying this conversation as well

SCPD

QRT
I'm enjoying it as well but I have no where else to go with this. Apart from "hoping" the major feeds don't, I also considered the fact that I may be wrong and it is as you said - people listen to the feeds they can relate to the most. If that is true, many of the small time feeds won't be able to afford to upgrade and I have a program for those small town people (but this could lead to them not having money either). I guess I'll say that anything is possible once this comes to light. Maybe people will do as I suggested above and provide one public feed without premium and one private one with premium features.

nate1992

above and provide one public feed without premium and one private one with premium features.

i believe for those that do buy the premium this would be a great idea but as what my point was i don't thank may people will buy it ( could be wrong ) and it takes away from RR knowing that people are volunteering to provided feeds and those with money to pay & volunteer get better service when the key word is volunteer but is being turned into buy
good conversation i too have know where to go with this now and rest my case with the above stated points
hope this shines the light for some one =o lol

crevatis

okay so feed providers now have the option to pay to volunteer to get the best stuff i enjoy my feeds on here but i have no interest in paying to volunteer to do it so i guess i will miss out on the extra features
i understand the option to be a premium subscriber but now you have a option to be a premium host to which to me takes away from hosting on here and moves this site more for making money instead of providing a friendly site that every one can enjoy not that this will make any difference but alot of people don't have money with the current financial problems which means that this feature probably wont take off as long as you can host the feed for free & then if you remove the free feature most people wont pay to volunteer the equipment which losses most the support for the site

overall i enjoy the site and its great but i do disagree with this feature
RR keep up the good work & hope this feature works out for you guys but ill stay with the free version
Thank =P

Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on the "private feed" feature, almost making it sound as if you're scared all the good feeds will go silent overnight. I don't see that happening. We all started these feeds expressly for the public to have access to them, not to have a private club with a $180 a year membership fee. You do realize that the ability to set your feed private is an option, correct? Subscribing to the premium features does not automatically make a feed private.

Consider instead the benefits to RR premium members (paid or feed providers) if a feed providers signs up for these premium features, notably concerning the archives. Now instead of having to listen to 30 minutes of mostly silence to hear a call from the past, the archive will be automatically trimmed of silence and you can listen right through. That 30 minute archive file might now be down to 5 minutes of solid action. Also the fact that the archives will be available for 3 months on those feeds is a really nice thing to have, in stark contrast to the 15 day limit on free feeds.

Remember, all of this stuff is optional, and it doesn't take away anything from the current setup, it only adds. I don't believe there is any reason to panic in thinking that all the good feeds will suddenly go private.

Astrak

So does the archive stuff apply to the listeners also or just to the feed provider? I don't need any of the premium features, I record locally using WIN500 and have the ability to edit out dead time if I need to. All of the other stuff I don't really care about, but if people want the archive features of the premium feed provider I'll take donations lol.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's my understanding that the archive stuff applies across the board. Any premium member accessing the archives of a premium feed, so long as the feed provider has the feed trimming feature enabled (it is optional), would benefit from the auto-trim and 90 day retention. At least that's how I'm seeing it on my test feeds.

Take a look at the archives for this feed, let me know if you see 90 days back and if the silence is trimmed.

Rockland County Fire 1 - 44-Control Live Scanner Audio Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.