SDS100/SDS200: Firmware 1.05.01M Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
but i will say there are issues still with VHF/UFH, it is better but Aircraft is horrible, Railroads got better, and this is what i dont understand, it seems to only affect analog not VHF P25 as that comes in fine
some transmissions even sound off frequency.

also intermod is an issue for example on the Railroad band if you get close to a NOAA WX station it will bleed over, for those situations IFX kills the problem, im thinking alot of the range issues are because it is a handheld

SCPD

QRT
Airband

but i will say there are issues still with VHF/UFH, it is better but Aircraft is horrible, Railroads got better, and this is what i dont understand, it seems to only affect analog not VHF P25 as that comes in fine
some transmissions even sound off frequency.

also intermod is an issue for example on the Railroad band if you get close to a NOAA WX station it will bleed over, for those situations IFX kills the problem, im thinking alot of the range issues are because it is a handheld

Hoping for an air-band fix and a fix for the squelch 0 and 1 are open squelch.
2 is closed but is too much squelch. Hoping 1 could be between off and on somewhere.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hoping for an air-band fix and a fix for the squelch 0 and 1 are open squelch.
2 is closed but is too much squelch. Hoping 1 could be between off and on somewhere.

I'm curious - is this the civil airband around 120Mhz AM, or the military airband above 200Mhz AM? Or the military FM airband? I'm wondering if AM has anything to do with it?

Hit_Factor

Running the 1.05.01M Public Beta. I'm still losing the 4th decimal place after running LCN finder on a NXDN system. 463.318750 is written to the SD card as 463.318700. I see this in the f_000002.hpd file on the SD card, so Sentinel has nothing to do with this, the scanner is dropping that 4th digit.

This happens to all the sites in the FL, in other words, all 9 sites lose the 4th digit, even if I run LCN finder on just 1 of the sites in the FL.

budevans

Running the 1.05.01M Public Beta. I'm still losing the 4th decimal place after running LCN finder on a NXDN system. 463.318750 is written to the SD card as 463.318700. I see this in the f_000002.hpd file on the SD card, so Sentinel has nothing to do with this, the scanner is dropping that 4th digit.

This happens to all the sites in the FL, in other words, all 9 sites lose the 4th digit, even if I run LCN finder on just 1 of the sites in the FL.

Actually it's the 5th digit that's being dropped. If I'm not mistaken, it's been reported before in prior firmware releases.

Others have commented that the 5th digit is not significant. So it may be a low priority for Uniden.

scannerhead

FIXED - Modified the voice channel termination method for P25 Phase 1 systems

Release Notes:
1. Modified the voice channel termination method for P25 Phase 1 systems

I'm happy to report that this issue is now fixed for me. The SDS100 is now matching the BCD436HP in trunk tracking P25 Phase 1. The SDS100 has not missed a single transmission all evening with 1.05.01M Public Beta. No clipping quick replies, etc. Thanks Paul and team.

Here is a reminder of the problem with the prior firmware...
Dispatchers and units with quick microphone triggers are getting cut-off while the scanner is flipping to the control channel then back to the voice channel that hadn't even changed. The systems voice repeaters have an approximate 1 second hang time. For Phase 1 systems that have no hang time I suppose this method would work well.

Hit_Factor

Actually it's the 5th digit that's being dropped. If I'm not mistaken, it's been reported before in prior firmware releases.

Others have commented that the 5th digit is not significant. So it may be a low priority for Uniden.

Yep, my mistake, 5th digit. Yep, I reported it in previous firmware releases.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Second time this has occurred but the circumstances are the same. Filled the SD card with recordings, programming etc. and just now the SDS100 rebooted with 15% memory used. Prior to this, the key strokes become less responsive. Recently noted that while I'm trying to turn on or off a Favorite List, I have to wait until all active transmissions are complete, then they key pad works as it's supposed to. Also..the volume control get's "laggy" but once an active transmission is complete, back to normal. This activity get's progressively worse as the SD card becomes filled. This issue also occurs with both my 536's, but that's for another thread.

For the purpose of working with the engineers and UPMan, I have not dumped my recordings or changed anything. If this follows the normal pattern, it will continue to reboot at different times until I remove all recordings (701 files at this time). UPMan, let me know what is needed so I can help. Using a High Endurance 32gb SD card, no electricity issues as I had other scanners, computer running at the same time. Downloaded most recent firmware.

UPMan and the engineering staff:

A follow-up to the rebooting.

After the initial reboot, the scanner rebooted at least 7 times yesterday, as it has in the past. Only monitoring 1 P25 Phase 1 system (Starcom 21) , recording was activated every time. The scanner would do this every time: system in ID scan mode, normal radio traffic, then power off, power up and it would return to ID scan of the system I was monitoring. This was random no specific time frame. Set Charge while on is ON, scanner is being powered through laptop USB. Light was green. House is air conditioned...SD card is 32 gb high-endurance card. No recordings deleted.

This morning scanner rebooted 2 more times within an hour. Removed 32 gb card and replaced it with 8 gb card that was supplied with scanner. Prior to reinstalling, reformatted the card, and started it at 0%.I have the 32 gb card saved and did not delete any recordings in the event engineering would like to see my recordings/programming. Let me know how I can help.

UPMan and Engineering Staff:

Follow-up to the follow-up...lol!

I've been using the 8gb transcend SD card that the scanner was shipped with. As of this morning, 43% memory used, 479 files recording. No major programming changes (UID's updated and a few administrative changes) and no rebooting yet. Once it get's to 700 recording files, or until the SD card reports as full, I'll report in an active thread.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
UPMan and Engineering Staff:

Follow-up to the follow-up...lol!

I've been using the 8gb transcend SD card that the scanner was shipped with. As of this morning, 43% memory used, 479 files recording. No major programming changes (UID's updated and a few administrative changes) and no rebooting yet. Once it get's to 700 recording files, or until the SD card reports as full, I'll report in an active thread.

50% used, 550 recording files, 8gb SD card, rebooted, returned to one and only system I was scanning.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Back to FW version 1.04.01

I don't know how much any of this might be due to my imagination or other variables, but my SDS100 seems to have lost some of its analog sensitivity with FW version 1.05.01.

I've reinstalled FW 1.04.01 to see if that one works any better.

-Johnnie

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how much any of this might be due to my imagination or other variables, but my SDS100 seems to have lost some of its analog sensitivity with FW version 1.05.01.

-Johnnie
It's not just you I've noticed this as well but believe it or not analog was actually improved a bit from previous releases but it is still no where near where it needs to be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Firmware 1.04 better on VHF!

-Johnnie

Wow, when you're right you're right! I re-installed 1.04 and VHF and DMR decode is back . Thanks!
Hope someone sends this to Uniden via their system however that's done...

vocoder

Please, please, fix the vhf uhf conventional analog digital rx on the sds100
The 436 nor 325 should not be beating out this great radio for a 156 / 452 mhz touchdown
Thanks

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

Interesting, I was just having an issue with an old 800Mhz trunk system that [by all rights] should have been picked up by the SDS100 but it wasn't.

i'll try the older firmware and see if that makes any difference.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the release version of 1.05 vs. the beta version 1.05.01?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried submitting a debug file describing the issue you're having? That seems to work best then appealing on the thread without anything that can be diagnosed.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Idea for Upman and Uniden?

Wow, when you're right you're right! I re-installed 1.04 and VHF and DMR decode is back . Thanks!
Hope someone sends this to Uniden via their system however that's done...

I'm glad to hear that worked for you, Electronicsdude!

Again, there are a lot of variables involved, but I'm picking up analog signals today that I didn't seem to receive as well (or at all) before I switched back to FW 1.04.

Werinshades is asking below if any of us have sent Upman logs to confirm these performance differences between the firmware versions. I haven't had time to learn how to do that, but it would probably be a good idea to do so.

An idea just popped into my head for Upman and his Uniden team to consider: Instead of trying to create a one-size-fits-all firmware package for the SDS100, it might be useful to document the pros and cons of a variety of firmware versions and let the user select which one will work best in his/her listening environment.

Previous reports about the current FW version (1.05.01) indicated some users experienced improvements in analog traffic reception due to apparent "desensitization" adjustments that fight strong-signal overload. Those people are probably listening in strong-signal environments where intermodulation is a bigger challenge than receiving weak signals.

Picking and choosing the right FW for your intended listening environment would seem to go a long way toward making the SDS100 a more flexible and useful scanner for just about everyone, regardless of their individual, narrowly focused needs. In fact, I could see myself using the most sensitive FW version in my rural, weak-signal environment and changing it to something less sensitive and more selective when I go to Las Vegas, NV, or some other strong-signal location.

Just an idea . . .

-Johnnie

SCPD

QRT
1.04 is Better!!

I'm glad to hear that worked for you, Electronicsdude!

Again, there are a lot of variables involved, but I'm picking up analog signals today that I didn't seem to receive as well (or at all) before I switched back to FW 1.04.

Werinshades is asking below if any of us have sent Upman logs to confirm these performance differences between the firmware versions. I haven't had time to learn how to do that, but it would probably be a good idea to do so.

An idea just popped into my head for Upman and his Uniden team to consider: Instead of trying to create a one-size-fits-all firmware package for the SDS100, it might be useful to document the pros and cons of a variety of firmware versions and let the user select which one will work best in his/her listening environment.

Previous reports about the current FW version (1.05.01) indicated some users experienced improvements in analog traffic reception due to apparent "desensitization" adjustments that fight strong-signal overload. Those people are probably listening in strong-signal environments where intermodulation is a bigger challenge than receiving weak signals.

Picking and choosing the right FW for your intended listening environment would seem to go a long way toward making the SDS100 a more flexible and useful scanner for just about everyone, regardless of their individual, narrowly focused needs. In fact, I could see myself using the most sensitive FW version in my rural, weak-signal environment and changing it to something less sensitive and more selective when I go to Las Vegas, NV, or some other strong-signal location.

Just an idea . . .

-Johnnie

Overall I think the 1.04 works better I get better airband and everything seems to have a better signal
even 800mhz systems. Vhf high band is night and day some things from -106 to now -80dbm.
NYC 476mhz is better too.
Firmware should be tested with the stock antenna nothing else.
I had to go fishing for the older version on RR but wow what a difference. I'm leaving mine here for now.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.