SDS100/SDS200: Firmware V1.23.03 is out

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I called UNIDEN Support and it seems it's the first they heard of this problem. Everyone call @ 1-800-297-1023. I recommended Sentinel be enabled to retain previous version of firmware in case this happens again. I borrowed "$700 brick" and it seemed effective. The lady said she would escalate immediately. I recommended redistributing earlier version firmware to Sentinel for an immediate fix. She wrote it all down. We need more complaints!
Sentinel, as already noted, does not retain copies of the "previous" firmware files.

However, copies of the most recent firmware update are stored on your PC. Before doing an update, I copy those files to a separate folder. After I then do the firmware update, the copies of what was just installed replaces the ones that were there before the update process.mThis way, I have both the most recent, and previous files saved, if I need to roll back the firmware version.

These are stored in a location in the ProgramData folder.
1704404775147.png

JustLou

After the latest update, I had to change the filters. I found normal filter to perform the best now, instead of wide invert. My squelch seems the loosest when set to normal filter and squelch at 2. So the filters may, be worth re- investigating.
A gave the normal filter a try, and it was like turning on the attenuator listening to the systems I listen to in my area. Strong systems were OK, but weak/marginal signals pretty much disappeared.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
A gave the normal filter a try, and it was like turning on the attenuator listening to the systems I listen to in my area. Strong systems were OK, but weak/marginal signals pretty much disappeared.
Yep, different locations can require different filter settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

k3rsj

Sentinel, as already noted, does not retain copies of the "previous" firmware files.

However, copies of the most recent firmware update are stored on your PC. Before doing an update, I copy those files to a separate folder. After I then do the firmware update, the copies of what was just installed replaces the ones that were there before the update process.mThis way, I have both the most recent, and previous files saved, if I need to roll back the firmware version.

These are stored in a location in the ProgramData folder.
View attachment 154220
An excellent idea Steve. Wish I had known about it. I suppose the last firmware update is too big to include in an email?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
An excellent idea Steve. Wish I had known about it. I suppose the last firmware update is too big to include in an email?
No, not "too big to email", unless your email account does not allow attachments, or has a very small size limit. The firmware file itself is a little over 2mb, for either the SDS100 or SDS200. That's too large to attach to a forum post, or in a 'conversation' (direct message). The files must be fairly dense, as compressing them into a *.zip file makes a slightly bigger file.

What I've done, for anyone who messages me for one of the files, is provide a sharing link to copies of the files in my One Drive account, so that they can download it directly.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Isn't the attenuator different from the filters? I never had a need to use either, so color me ignorant.
No, an attenuator lowers the strength of the received signal before the signal is even processed. Too much signal can overload receiver circuits.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
No, an attenuator lowers the strength of the received signal before the signal is even processed. Too much signal can overload receiver circuits.
I know what an attenuator is/does but not sure if that relates to the filters at all (based on your earlier reply to someone else).

JustLou

Imagine that, you turn on the attenuator and it attenuated the signal. Damn!
I've never heard anyone suggest that turning on the SDS Filters and turning on the attenuator are the same thing.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this thread is about the new SDS100/200 firmware, not about filters or attenuators. If the new firmware changes the way the filters or attenuators are selected or how they function, that would be on topic for the thread. If the discussion is about filter and attenuator functions that previously existed, then its off topic for this tread.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The 100 and 200 use the same Firmware. You just select which one you have at the time of upgrade correct?
Not exactly, no. There are different firmware files. The hardware is not identical.

But there is nothing to select. Connect the scanner in mass storage mode, run Sentinel, select "upgrade". Sentinel can figure out what kind of scanner is connected.

If you are reacting to my post about the availability of the old firmware, you should stay away from those links.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber