• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris P7300 or Motorola XTS5000

What radio do you like the best and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
The audio quility out of a MPD would blow you away, no doubt. The only PIA feature IMO was the ramp volume, and also channel select. Try changing volume fast while belt worn... isn't easy!

Audio quality = P25 is digital radio transmission

Project 25 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Data Encryption Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advanced Encryption Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Digital and analog both have their pros and cons, but the big pro of digital audio.....over analog audio; is that the digital audio is so much more clearer and understandable.

FF - Medic !!!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Until it becomes a compete mess, that is. Even the latest version AMBE codecs don't quite know what to do when background noise levels approach speech volume levels. This is the precise reason why the newer digital radios have advanced noise cancelling technologies built right into them, with the dual front/rear microphones of the APX portables being a perfect example.

Analog voice quality in a high background noise environment can be fully intelligible while digital voice quality in the same conditions may be garbled beyond all recognition. Hence the need for better noise cancelling. (Which also helps out in analog modes, too.)

Oh, I found my 2008 M/A-Com catalog, It lists the P5300 and P5400 portables but no P7300 portables in this catalog. So it would appear that M/A-Com had not yet released the P7300 while Motorola was actively advertising and selling the APX7000 at the same time. But the two types were available within a year of each other.

Matakovich1

motorola all the way

Id take any motorola over a Harris any day of the week and twice on sunday. Harris talks a good game but their product doesnt hold up. Just ask LVMPD 45million on a Harris system and they are replacing it with a motorola one.

ff-medic

Banned
Id take any motorola over a Harris any day of the week and twice on sunday. Harris talks a good game but their product doesnt hold up. Just ask LVMPD 45million on a Harris system and they are replacing it with a motorola one.

If not Harris then = Vertex P25, with AES encryption - all the way. Analog ( in the clear ) and digital ( AES ) frequencies to broadcast on

Vertex Standard | VX-P920

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Secure Communications -- Options available to support both Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Data Encryption Standard (DES) as required by APCO Project 25. Multiple encryption keys can be stored in the radio.

Mixed Mode -- Seamlessly switch between analog to P25 digital mode on each channel based on call type received and on programming for transmit.

Vertex Standard | vx-7200

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second choices = http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Land_Mobile_Radio/Public_Safety/Mobile_Radios/TK-5710-5810

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communica.../Public_Safety/Portable_Radios/TK-5210G-5310G

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:
Parma Ohio the city is on a Harris trunking system has had many problems from day one up to now still sucks and the police still complain it does NOT work to bad Cleveland communication's was their only vendor wounder how thing's would of been if the city went to a Motorola System.

ff-medic

Banned
Parma Ohio the city is on a Harris trunking system has had many problems from day one up to now still sucks and the police still complain it does NOT work to bad Cleveland communication's was their only vendor wounder how thing's would of been if the city went to a Motorola System.

:) HEYyyyyyyyyyy . What is with all this Motorola ( Moneyrolla ) talk.

:) THERE are other radio manufacturers out there you know. With all due respect - I believe Motorola to be highly overrated. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=564

Some of the reasons they might be having problems :

1 ) 800 MHz radio system not fit for the terrain it is in

2 ) The people whom installed the backbone system made mistakes in installation. There may be nothing wrong with "Open Sky" , but the installation was faulty.

3 ) Not being pro or con for "Open Sky" , but agencies have been using it for years with no problems....just like LVMPD. If it was life threatening and a disaster for LVMPD, why was the problem not corrected earlier?

4 ) 800 MHz is for 800 Mhz territory...like flat terrain. Not a hilly and mountainous region.

5 ) Communications can be a hype. The new digital system - the new P25 system - the new 700 & 900 Mhz public safety freqs. "Look whats out. We must have it ( P25 - open sky - 700 MHz radio freq ) " does not always apply.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Nice first post.

Yea, sure. Vegas is Going from OpenSky to P25... A radio system that Harris inherited...not designed.

Why is it that two of the largest P25 systems in Canada, and arguably, for land area covered, in North America are (PPSTN & AFRRCS) Harris?

Comparing OpenSky to P25 is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari Enzo...

Edit:

I would also agree, the MPD is one of the best sounding radios I have ever heard.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
Comparing OpenSky to P25 is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari Enzo...

If you take a vehicle to a mechanic he may fix it the first time. Or he may not get it fixed and you have to take it back.

I live in Appalachia, and other than watching "Open Sky" in action on "Cops" , my knowledge is pretty limited. BUT that being said, there have been documented agencies that are totally happy with "Open Sky".

But P25 has its limitations also, does it not.

There are pros and cons with most land mobile radio systems.

FF - Medic !!!

DisasterGuy

I recently had an executive from one of the big players relate to me that the Motorolas and Harris' of the world were likely destined for a future much like IBM. That is to say that where those two players are now is where IBM was in the early 90's. Take a look at where IBM is today. The LMR industry is changing and much like IBM had an edge with proprietary BIOS, OS, etc the world of open standards caused them to fall into a very different place than they were when the PS2 was announced. I feel very comfortable saying that we are in the era of the tail side of PS2 production by both Motorola and Harris. The Cassidians of the world are likely the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

:) HEYyyyyyyyyyy . What is with all this Motorola ( Moneyrolla ) talk.

:) THERE are other radio manufacturers out there you know. With all due respect - I believe Motorola to be highly overrated. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FF - Medic !!!

You LOVEEE Vertex = Motorola

fasteddy64

I dont know about anyone's system just ours.
800 mhz EDACS system, 12 channels, 5 sites, has worked absolutely flawlessly since day one, going on 8 years now. You might not like M/A-Com or Harris but I have had nothing but outstanding service from them.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I dont know about anyone's system just ours.

800 mhz EDACS system, 12 channels, 5 sites, has worked absolutely flawlessly since day one, going on 8 years now. You might not like M/A-Com or Harris but I have had nothing but outstanding service from them.

Understand that post you replied to was the dudes first post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, lets please stay on the top of radio comparisons and not get in to a system type rant/pissing match/debate. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.