Have you heard DMR or other modes on itinerant channels?

BinaryMode

When I first got my Trucktracker V capable scanner I programmed it with ProScan (great program) and created a "system" for itinerant channels, i.e. FRS/GMRS/Marine/MURS/Business channels. When I did that I set the modulation type to "all" because I was too lazy to tick each box for analog only. Well, turns out that was good of me to do because one day I heard what sounded like some contractors in the neighborhood use FRS channels only they were using DMR modulation. Which meant they were probably using a programed CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) to accomplish that. I thought that was really interesting so decided to create duplicate groups for MURS/FRS/GMRS, etc but only for digital to help differentiate my audio recordings should one come up.

Having said that, anyone else notice the use of an itinerant channel being used with DMR or NXDN or something?

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Mostly on the itinerant (MURS, 464.5/.55, 451.80 and the upper 467.xxx stuff). When I lived in the hellscape of Washington, a private parking contractor used a TRBO modulated repeater on 464.500 for the State Fair.

I seem to recall once seeing TRBO on FRS, but that's hazy.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Mostly on the itinerant (MURS, 464.5/.55, 451.80 and the upper 467.xxx stuff). When I lived in the hellscape of Washington, a private parking contractor used a TRBO modulated repeater on 464.500 for the State Fair.

I seem to recall once seeing TRBO on FRS, but that's hazy.
Same here on the 464/469 and upper 467's. Just today I heard simplex NXDN on 467.850, a first for me.

kinglou0

With so many used/surplus P25 radios floating around, there’s lots of interesting activity on 700/800 these days. Most of it in the clear, that is until Amazon starts selling Chinese keyloaders.

I’ve run into 2 instances of protestors in Seattle and Olympia using XTS5000s instead of the standard Baoturd. Nothing like Leftists with tech backgrounds and good funding.

radiocrazy123

Plenty of licenses on itinerants that are digital and/or repeaters. Nothing new.
KA64794 and KNCE346 as examples.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
anyone else notice the use of an itinerant channel being used with DMR or NXDN or something?
Plenty of digital activity on the itinerant channels here in the Los Angeles area. Most of it sounds like DMR. When I'm in the backcountry 4-wheeling, I monitor some of the "race radio" frequencies for situational awareness and many of these frequencies are classified as itinerants, but I've never heard digital transmissions.

I don't have the DMR option on my scanners (only P25), so I either have to use the SDR or use my Anytone in promiscuous mode (which really isn't worth the trouble).

I've heard some odd transmissions on the FRS and MURS channels that sound more like data bursts than digital audio.

BinaryMode

I've heard some odd transmissions on the FRS and MURS channels that sound more like data bursts than digital audio.

PSK? There's an App for that...

Most of it in the clear, that is until Amazon starts selling Chinese keyloaders.

Github has a software based KVL. Don't know anything about it or whether it actually works. GitHub - KFDtool/KFDtool: Open Source P25 KFD (Key Fill Device/Keyloader/KVL)

I know nothing about Motorola radio programming, but this looks super cool non the less.