Clats97

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to make it possible to listen to my rdio server outside of my home WiFi.

I used tailscale and it worked fine, but I'd like to be able to share it with others without having to have them install tailscale.

So I tried the port forwarding. I entered the internal port as 3000, external port as 3000, and I selected my IP address and created another forward by selecting my laptop as a device. However, it only works when I'm connected to my home WiFi, which doesn't get me very far.

Can anyone help me figure out how to allow me to listen to rdio without being at my home network?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I am trying to make it possible to listen to my rdio server outside of my home WiFi.

I used tailscale and it worked fine, but I'd like to be able to share it with others without having to have them install tailscale.

So I tried the port forwarding. I entered the internal port as 3000, external port as 3000, and I selected my IP address and created another forward by selecting my laptop as a device. However, it only works when I'm connected to my home WiFi, which doesn't get me very far.

Can anyone help me figure out how to allow me to listen to rdio without being at my home network?
If you try to hit your external IP on port 3000 and it doesn't work externally, only on WiFi, it sounds like your port forward isn't correct. Can you send a picture of your port forward?

As @Deziel0495 said above, once we get the port forward configured correctly, any dynamic DNS provider will help track your external IP, so you only need to remember the name, such as myrdio.no-ip.com or myradio.dynu.net. There are several you can use; I've never had an issue with any of them.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
If you try to hit your external IP on port 3000 and it doesn't work externally, only on WiFi, it sounds like your port forward isn't correct. Can you send a picture of your port forward?

As @Deziel0495 said above, once we get the port forward configured correctly, any dynamic DNS provider will help track your external IP, so you only need to remember the name, such as myrdio.no-ip.com or myradio.dynu.net. There are several you can use; I've never had an issue with any of them.
Since posting I figured it out. I pointed the port forward to the wrong IP. Now it works, however, the situation has now flipped.

I can only listen outside of my home network, as soon as I turn on WiFi it disconnects. It used to be the opposite.

belvdr

Since posting I figured it out. I pointed the port forward to the wrong IP. Now it works, however, the situation has now flipped.

I can only listen outside of my home network, as soon as I turn on WiFi it disconnects. It used to be the opposite.
You’ll need to use the internal IP when on WiFi.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Instead of using your public IP of the router, use the internal IP you port forwarded to.
Where do I find internal IP? Are you saying I have to create a new port forwarding rule? Sorry for the basic questions I know I'm of the generation that was brought up with technology but I'm not a computer whiz. I struggled to even get this far believe me it was a lot of anger and hair pulling. A LOT. Lol

belvdr

Where do I find internal IP? Are you saying I have to create a new port forwarding rule? Sorry for the basic questions I know I'm of the generation that was brought up with technology but I'm not a computer whiz. I struggled to even get this far believe me it was a lot of anger and hair pulling. A LOT. Lol
Let's break this down a bit. Let's assume you have an internal network of 192.168.0.x and your Internet IP on your router is 1.2.3.4. If your Rdio device has an internal IP of 192.168.0.50, the port forward would be configured as:
Code:
Source port = 3000
Dest port   = 3000
Internal IP = 192.168.0.50
Thus, when someone connected to 1.2.3.4 on port 3000, it would be forwarded to 192.168.0.50 on port 3000.

Many routers still aren't intelligent enough to handle someone on the internal network connecting to the public IP of the router to access a port forward (this is called a hairpin NAT).

For example, if you have one of these routers and your phone is at 192.168.0.21 and tried to connect to 1.2.3.4 on port 3000, it might not work. Thus, you'd have to use the internal IP of the Rdio device (192.168.0.50 on port 3000) when you're on WiFi.

If you want to send me your router's manufacturer and model number, I can see if it supports hairpin NAT. It may have been introduced in a later firmware, or it may already be there and simply needs enabled.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Let's break this down a bit. Let's assume you have an internal network of 192.168.0.x and your Internet IP on your router is 1.2.3.4. If your Rdio device has an internal IP of 192.168.0.50, the port forward would be configured as:
Code:
Source port = 3000
Dest port   = 3000
Internal IP = 192.168.0.50
Thus, when someone connected to 1.2.3.4 on port 3000, it would be forwarded to 192.168.0.50 on port 3000.

Many routers still aren't intelligent enough to handle someone on the internal network connecting to the public IP of the router to access a port forward (this is called a hairpin NAT).

For example, if you have one of these routers and your phone is at 192.168.0.21 and tried to connect to 1.2.3.4 on port 3000, it might not work. Thus, you'd have to use the internal IP of the Rdio device (192.168.0.50 on port 3000) when you're on WiFi.

If you want to send me your router's manufacturer and model number, I can see if it supports hairpin NAT. It may have been introduced in a later firmware, or it may already be there and simply needs enabled.
That seems over my head. But for what it's worth, it's a virgin mobile "Steve" router. The free ones you get when you sign a 2 yr contract etc

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
Not sure if you’ve figured it out yet but… It’s not as much over your head as you think, as you were able to set up the port forwarding to the internal IP so you’ve grasped 95% of it. When you set up port forwarding, what is the IP you were forwarding to? That is the IP you want to go to when you are on WiFi. So instead of your WAN or external IP, you would browse to the LAN or internal IP 192.168.0.xxx:3000 or 192.168.1.xxx:3000 or whatever the subnet is your router assigns to computers on your WiFi.

If your laptop that is running Rdio server is windows, press Windows Key-R simultaneously. Type in CMD then enter. In the command prompt type IPCONFIG and hit enter. It will tell you your IP address. Put that IP address in your browser followed by :3000 and you should be in.