L9capt1st

I just purchased an old bearcat scanner (3&4) that uses crystals, I know these scanners are about obsolete now but, would still love to listen to what I can on this old dog, I joined the fire service in 1978 and that was the first scanner I had bought and have loved this type of scanner ever since. So I'm looking to find who still sells these old crystals or if there is a new company that sells them.

If you know someone or a place that sells scanner crystals, please let me know. At this time, I'm looking for 453-850, 464-225, 154-310, these are the frequencies I'm looking for now, I have an old programmable scanner and looked up frequencies on this site (radioreference) and these 3 are still working here, hopefully I can come up with a few more, but at this time those are the frequencies I'm in search of.

Thanks in advance for all the help I can get.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

mule1075

Feed Provider

mule1075

Feed Provider
I just purchased an old bearcat scanner (3&4) that uses crystals, I know these scanners are about obsolete now but, would still love to listen to what I can on this old dog, I joined the fire service in 1978 and that was the first scanner I had bought and have loved this type of scanner ever since. So I'm looking to find who still sells these old crystals or if there is a new company that sells them.

If you know someone or a place that sells scanner crystals, please let me know. At this time, I'm looking for 453-850, 464-225, 154-310, these are the frequencies I'm looking for now, I have an old programmable scanner and looked up frequencies on this site (radioreference) and these 3 are still working here, hopefully I can come up with a few more, but at this time those are the frequencies I'm in search of.

Thanks in advance for all the help I can get.
I might have a few of those in the parts box I will let you know.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just remember these are not Uniden scanners, they were made by the Electra company who were bought out by Uniden in 1983.

Although I did use UHF crystals in my Electra Bearcat thin scan, they are harder to come by, even more so, 800 MHz. There was an aviation version of the Electra Bearcat thin scan.

Mostly you will find VHF low band, 33.xx, 39.xx and 45.xx.. in VHF High, 154 and 155 MHz would be most common.

Good luck in your search on the internet, that is your answer as @dave3825 said.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, how about the Radio Shack Crystal scanners of the early to mid-70s made by GRE Japan? I've got a bucket full of them somewhere.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
10.7 with the exception of a rare few.
I can think of some rare ones, I had a slide rule dial tunable base/mobile Radio Shack Pro 1 with the heavy Steel case that was made by GRE Japan in the late '60s. It actually had two VHF crystals, even though it was tunable.. it didn't scan. The crystals were very large, I still have that radio and those two crystals which I believe are, from memory 154.845 and 156.03.

Nice discussion as I also had the Electra bearcat Crystal control early scanners also.

Again good luck to the original poster and maybe he will come back and let us know how he did.

NI1V

Premium Subscriber
Hello Enthusiasts-I have a question regarding crystal markings; I have crystals marked ALAN and can't find it for identification at either G&G or Ken's. On e-Bay, ALAN crystals are listed for both 10.7 IF (Regency,Radio Shack, etc) and 10.8 IF (Uniden/Bearcat). Thanks in advance for any help.

NI1V

Premium Subscriber
Nothing there. All three (3) I have are wrapped with some type of vinyl or plastic covering with frequency and "ALAN" printed on the same side.

oracavon

I have several ALAN crystals with the gray plastic wrapper. They are all 10.7 because that's what I needed and bought. I bought them from a local scanner store in Southern California back in the 70's and 80's. But I can't say for sure whether there are such things as ALAN 10.8 crystals, since I never needed any 10.8 crystals.

oracavon

And here is his ebay page.
And here is his ebay page for 10.7 crystals: Regency/RS Police Scanner Crystals 10.7 iF - UHF VHF Any Frequency 40yr Supplier | eBay