The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Doing some research for a neighbor who was family in Fentress county, TN. Will a Pro800, WS1095, or Bhd436HP do ok with TACN there, or will it likely have Simulcast issues?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The TACN system is not a Simulcast system. Each site has different control channels and voice channels. Over the next year all THP traffic is changing to P25 Phase 2 and all new user groups will be P25 Phase 2.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The Simulcast that causes problems is the systems that use the same frequencies at multiple sites and that is not the case here.
The TACN is broke up into districts and only the District the Trooper belongs in is where you hear the traffic. They have statewide TG's but not regular TG's are statewide. Radio Id's Talk Groups are assigned to Districts and controlled by a master controller connected to all the sites.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
if there just one tower it will work fine.two or more towers to close t0gether you may have issues.
Please do not spread incorrect statements about this system.
I have ID every site in West Tn when the system 1st went live and I have ID D3 western sites I sit in the middle of 5 Sites Millsfield, Hornbeak, Trenton, UT Martin and Gleason. As it stands right now until the changes take effect any P25 scanner will work on the TACN system. Right now I get D8 Jackson D4 Memphis and D3 Nashville with no issues with a RS PRO 197, RS PRO 18, RS PRO668, 996P2, 536HP, 436HP, SDS100, SDS200, Whistler TRX-1 and Whistler TRX-2.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
Can you advise which TACN sites to program for monitoring in Fentress?
I live in Southwestern Wayne County in Kentucky and I listen from the Twinton tower with a Whistler 1088. So clear sounds like you are in the same room.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Remember folks TACN is officially going to Phase II TDMA exclusive use over next few years. No new users will be allowed FDMA TGs. All existing users will be upgrading as fast as money allows for anyone not using TDMA capable radios.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I hope they can actually get it done in ONE year lol.. MSWIN has been trying to get it done for at least four years. :)

motoapco25

Premium Subscriber
Looking through the talk group list on the MCC7500`s
the database here only have a fraction on the ones TCAN has
wish i knew how to read the TG # from the console lol

N2AL

Looking through the talk group list on the MCC7500`s
the database here only have a fraction on the ones TCAN has
wish i knew how to read the TG # from the console lol

If you can read you can write!
Only those who program radios understand that joke, hi hi.