SDS100/SDS200: Uniden SDS100 - Not Receiving almost anything, RSSI for everything is above -100dbm

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone, i am having troubles with my Uniden SDS100. I have looked at many posts on this forum as well as read manuals and tried to diagnose the problem myself by cant seem to find a solution or reason. I am fairly new with using Uniden SDS100 Scanners.

I have cleared user settings, reset the device, tried a new SD card, Forced downloaded the new database, made sure my firmware is up to date.

I have also made sure that my service selection is set to all be ON, as well as made sure there are no avoids or priority scanning or close call enabled.

My SDS100 doesn't receive any broadcasts from almost anything. I receive from random channels but probably only 2 out of the entire database in my area. Even channels that are strong on my XTS5000 radios (i have both UHF and VHF versions), such as EMS and Fire, and Police do not receive on my SDS100 at all.

My radio does show signal bars 3 to 4 when scanning, but i have noticed that my RSSI is always above -95dbm at minimum if not above -100DBm, even for broadcasts that are close to me, as well as radio stations. Also on alot of broadcasts i hear lots of static.

Please help me figure this issue out, i am not sure if this is the cold solder joint issue because many people report getting a -40dbm signal strength while not receiving anything but i am just getting very low RSSI on everything. If it helps i can also provide a video.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
And in addition the what @tvengr asked, is this a brand new scanner or a brand new problem, meaning it was working fine, and now its not.

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to monitor broadcasts in the Greater Toronto Area.
Specifically in the following area;
State: Ontario
County: York
Trying to monitor, Ontario Provincial Police (Bell FleetNet), York Fire, Toronto EMS. These are the main ones.

This is not a brand new scanner, i purchased it used and was having this problem at the start of me having it on hand. I tested weather and local CB radio frequency at the time of buying it.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Are you close enough to the US to pick up WX broadcasts?
(Not sure they have those up in CA)

If not, try to rec'v a known (commercial?) signal, to verify that the radio is rec'ving anything at all.
If it is - it's probably your programming.

If it doesn't pick up anything, the radio has an internal problem somewhere, such as the CSJ issue...

tvengr

Well Known Member
It would help to know your city to determine the best sites to use. Are you scanning from the database or did you create a favorites list? If you have a favorites list, please attach it so that we can take a look at it. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to zip the exported file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to monitor broadcasts in the Greater Toronto Area.
Specifically in the following area;
State: Ontario
County: York
Trying to monitor, Ontario Provincial Police (Bell FleetNet), York Fire, Toronto EMS. These are the main ones.

This is not a brand new scanner, i purchased it used and was having this problem at the start of me having it on hand. I tested weather and local CB radio frequency at the time of buying it.
OPP is encrypted, no scanner will receive it.

Ubbe

My SDS100 doesn't receive any broadcasts from almost anything. I receive from random channels but probably only 2 out of the entire database in my area. Even channels that are strong on my XTS5000 radios (i have both UHF and VHF versions), such as EMS and Fire, and Police do not receive on my SDS100 at all.
Have you tried the same antenna as the XTS's? You probably have and then it could be a cold solder joint issues with the antenna connector. It is a known issue, at least with the older SDS100's, that the circuit board are pulling on the antenna connector and the solder joint could eventually break. I don't know how difficult it is to solder it by yourself but Uniden seems to refuse to repair scanners from outside the US, perhaps they handle Canada differently.

The SDS100 will automatically reduce its sensitivity if it detects high levels of RF in its frequency band. Try the scanner far from any strong transmitters to check that it isn't just a local RF issue.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
Bell FleetNet is a Motorola system which requires a custom band plan. Do you have the band plan installed?
Lower (MHz) Upper (MHz) Spacing (KHz) Offset
141.015000 143.985000 15.000 380
151.730000 152.510000 15.000 579
154.320000 156.225000 15.000 632

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
OPP is encrypted, no scanner will receive it.
OPP is not fully encrypted i usually listen to their highway safety broadcast, i can properly listen on my XTS5000 VHF, as for York i only listen to Fire.

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
It would help to know your city to determine the best sites to use. Are you scanning from the database or did you create a favorites list? If you have a favorites list, please attach it so that we can take a look at it. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to zip the exported file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

I am scanning from the database, and i hear alot from my XTS5000 for OPP so i know that i can receive the signal in my area.

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the same antenna as the XTS's? You probably have and then it could be a cold solder joint issues with the antenna connector. It is a known issue, at least with the older SDS100's, that the circuit board are pulling on the antenna connector and the solder joint could eventually break. I don't know how difficult it is to solder it by yourself but Uniden seems to refuse to repair scanners from outside the US, perhaps they handle Canada differently.

The SDS100 will automatically reduce its sensitivity if it detects high levels of RF in its frequency band. Try the scanner far from any strong transmitters to check that it isn't just a local RF issue.

/Ubbe

So i need to get the adapter to try the XTS Antenna so i will do that tomorrow as the local store is closed now and report back.
Also about fixing the CSJ i am experienced with soldering and can attempt to do it, but i wanted to verify that this is the issue.

Also even though Uniden has the option to send in the SDS100 from Canada for Repair (Uniden | A World Without Wires - Uniden Repair Center)
they will not fix the cold solder joint if im outside of the US? Can someone else give me more information on this, as well as personal experiences with sending Uniden radios in for repair from Canada, including potential waiting time.

Also one last question if i do try to fix it myself and it does not work will Uniden still attempt to fix it if i have tried ?, are there sticker indicators to illustrate that i have opened the device if i do and will that hinder the possibility of them trying to fix it?

tvengr

Well Known Member
So i need to get the adapter to try the XTS Antenna so i will do that tomorrow as the local store is closed now and report back.
Make sure you try the SMA adapter on the scanner at the store. The standard SMA adapters are too large to fit into the recessed hole of the SDS100.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Also even though Uniden has the option to send in the SDS100 from Canada for Repair (Uniden | A World Without Wires - Uniden Repair Center)
they will not fix the cold solder joint if im outside of the US? Can someone else give me more information on this, as well as personal experiences with sending Uniden radios in for repair from Canada, including potential waiting time.

Also one last question if i do try to fix it myself and it does not work will Uniden still attempt to fix it if i have tried ?, are there sticker indicators to illustrate that i have opened the device if i do and will that hinder the possibility of them trying to fix it?
The symptoms you describe definitely sound like the cold solder joint problem. If you (gently!) put pressure on the antenna, do you see signal?

You will be sending it to the repair center in the US, and they *do* fix the cold solder joint problem there. I know, because I had to send mine in. Worked great for several years and finally succumed. Other than charging more for shipping and handling ($40 vs $15) and perhaps taking longer to get there and back, it's no different than if you were in the US.

As far as fixing it yourself, the connector in question is tiny. Possible? Yes. Easy? Definitely not. There was a guy who was repairing them for people but unfortunately his health no longer allows him to do so.

My suggestion is to send it to Uniden.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Agreeing with sallen07. It sounds like the antenna connection is broken.

RF overload is negated as your other scanner has no problems receiving.

Exactly what you are receiving or not receiving, and the listings of those Toronto agencies, while its always good to post as much information as you can, in your case, because another scanner has no problem hearing them, was not addressing your problem.

If you are good with assembly/disassembly, but don’t have the equipment or expertise to do the repair yourself, another option is to open up the radio and visually check for that “break” in the antenna connection. If you do not have the means to repair it yourself, button it back up and send it to Uniden repair. Or, a local amateur radio (ham) that is well versed and equipped in this type of fix. A local repair shop might also be the way to go… you could leave it disassembled and show it to the repair shop, asking if they could do the work.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
My son lives in London, Ontario. I visit once or twice a year for the last 15 years. I used to easily get London Police, ems, fire and OPP while at his house. A few years ago, they switched systems and I can only get ems now. Yes, I had the new frequencies and reprogrammed my (at the time) 396T still nothing.

When I got my SDS200, same thing just ems and occasional fire talk using location control, service types and full database w/ Uniden's GPS setting location. The SDS is mounted and turned on in my RV as I travel.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
My son lives in London, Ontario. I visit once or twice a year for the last 15 years. I used to easily get London Police, ems, fire and OPP while at his house. A few years ago, they switched systems and I can only get ems now. Yes, I had the new frequencies and reprogrammed my (at the time) 396T still nothing.

London police and fire share this system: London Trunking System, London, Ontario (radioreference.com) Police are encrypted and fire is unencrypted. System went on the air about 2011. You shouldn't have had any problems monitoring London fire.

OPP are on Fleetnet as posted above. 90% of their operations and 100% of their day to day operations are unencrypted. System went on the air around 2001.

Next time your up for a visit, let us know and we can try and figure out why your scanner isn't picking up OPP and London fire. Unfortunately OPP and EMS are moving over to a new system probably next year and then they will be 100% encrypted.