SDS100/SDS200: Uniden SDS100 - Not Receiving almost anything, RSSI for everything is above -100dbm

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Questions :
- could it be that the Attenuator is on ?
- did you transmit with one of your xts-5000 while the 5000 and the scanner were very close together ?

tvengr

Well Known Member

RSSI for everything is above -100dbm​

Just checking! Are you aware that the smaller the number, the stronger the signal? A -90dbm is more than -100dbm.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I think I misspoke and I apologize. I think with the cold solder joint issue it shows an RSSI of -40 ... but no actual signal.

@Radioshock did you ever try with the weather frequencies?

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
I think I misspoke and I apologize. I think with the cold solder joint issue it shows an RSSI of -40 ... but no actual signal.

@Radioshock did you ever try with the weather frequencies?
i tried with weather frequencies i will attach video of the result, yes i do get a signal but its -100dmb and always goes in and out just like the weather frequency.

Here is the video of my SDS100 on the local weather frequency i tried this with a Boafeng UV-5r as well and the Boafeng does not cut in and out

RMason

Premium Subscriber
i tried with weather frequencies i will attach video of the result, yes i do get a signal but its -100dmb and always goes in and out just like the weather frequency.

Here is the video of my SDS100 on the local weather frequency i tried this with a Boafeng UV-5r as well and the Boafeng does not cut in and out
Your video shows that Close Call is enabled. The Close Call feature checks for a Close Call hit every 2 seconds. This causes the audio to cut out while it is checking for a close call hit. You probably want to turn Close Call off. You can also choose Close Call DND (Do Not Disturb). Close Call ‘Do-Not-Disturb' will only check for close call signals when you are not receiving transmissions.

The Close Call setting will not address poor signal quality, but will keep the audio from cutting out every 2 seconds.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Have a coworker that bought 2 SDS100 scanners. I cloned them from my SDS100, and one of them refuses to RX on a specific P25 trunked system when any filter is applied. Damn thing has a glitch in it's matrix and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what the issue was. Just a dud I guess. All have same firmware and even swapping SD cards into it doesn't resolve.

Paul

tvengr

Well Known Member
Have a coworker that bought 2 SDS100 scanners. I cloned them from my SDS100, and one of them refuses to RX on a specific P25 trunked system when any filter is applied.
Try swapping antennas between the 2 scanners. Is squelch set to 2 on both scanners? Are both scanners programmed using the same profile?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you accidentally turn on the attenuator on the P25 system not being received on one of the scanners? Also, check previous post #29.

Radioshock

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all the reply's, i visited my friend who has a SDS100, and we compared them side by side, and even used a upgraded antenna on my unit. Seems like his unit was receiving many many more transmissions then my unit , my unit barely received any transmission and when it did my unit had a signal of -20DBm LESS so if his had -80DBm mine would show -100DBm and DBm is exponential in terms of signal strength as everyone may know already. We also tested it next to a known trunking site where his received the max signal strength of -60DBm and mine still hovered around -100DBm and did even receive the voice. I have come to the conclusion that i definitely have a faulty unit.

Video showing you have Close Call priority enabled. This is why the audio is cutting in and out.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
You would have to be sitting on top of a transmitter to get a -40dbm signal.
I never said it was getting a -40dbm signal. I said that's what the display shows ... but there is no signal. That would tend to imply there is something wrong with the scanner, no?

Travis_camp

Hello Everyone, i am having troubles with my Uniden SDS100. I have looked at many posts on this forum as well as read manuals and tried to diagnose the problem myself by cant seem to find a solution or reason. I am fairly new with using Uniden SDS100 Scanners.

I have cleared user settings, reset the device, tried a new SD card, Forced downloaded the new database, made sure my firmware is up to date.

I have also made sure that my service selection is set to all be ON, as well as made sure there are no avoids or priority scanning or close call enabled.

My SDS100 doesn't receive any broadcasts from almost anything. I receive from random channels but probably only 2 out of the entire database in my area. Even channels that are strong on my XTS5000 radios (i have both UHF and VHF versions), such as EMS and Fire, and Police do not receive on my SDS100 at all.

My radio does show signal bars 3 to 4 when scanning, but i have noticed that my RSSI is always above -95dbm at minimum if not above -100DBm, even for broadcasts that are close to me, as well as radio stations. Also on alot of broadcasts i hear lots of static.

Please help me figure this issue out, i am not sure if this is the cold solder joint issue because many people report getting a -40dbm signal strength while not receiving anything but i am just getting very low RSSI on everything. If it helps i can also provide a video.
I’ve had to solder mine twice now. It’s a pretty easy fix. There’s a frame that the connector sits in, the connector has a flat spot to help hold it from spinning inside so make sure to turn it till the flat spot is against the frame then bend the frame back against the connector and tight the nut that holds the connector in place. Might be able to add some solder to the frame if it’s broke apart too. I found a video on YouTube of a guy repairing his bc the connector actually broke in two. But mine just needed soldered. I’ll try to find the link to the video.

Travis_camp

Hello Everyone, i am having troubles with my Uniden SDS100. I have looked at many posts on this forum as well as read manuals and tried to diagnose the problem myself by cant seem to find a solution or reason. I am fairly new with using Uniden SDS100 Scanners.

I have cleared user settings, reset the device, tried a new SD card, Forced downloaded the new database, made sure my firmware is up to date.

I have also made sure that my service selection is set to all be ON, as well as made sure there are no avoids or priority scanning or close call enabled.

My SDS100 doesn't receive any broadcasts from almost anything. I receive from random channels but probably only 2 out of the entire database in my area. Even channels that are strong on my XTS5000 radios (i have both UHF and VHF versions), such as EMS and Fire, and Police do not receive on my SDS100 at all.

My radio does show signal bars 3 to 4 when scanning, but i have noticed that my RSSI is always above -95dbm at minimum if not above -100DBm, even for broadcasts that are close to me, as well as radio stations. Also on alot of broadcasts i hear lots of static.

Please help me figure this issue out, i am not sure if this is the cold solder joint issue because many people report getting a -40dbm signal strength while not receiving anything but i am just getting very low RSSI on everything. If it helps i can also provide a video.
I was able to find the video. This will help you understand my first confusing post lol. Good luck