Why Oh Why Paul Opitz, Why Oh Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3fs

No the analyze features are not additions. They are features that were advertised and promised to be released. it is the initial feature set of the radio. Just because Uniden rushed it out the door without the features, does not make it an additional feature. Yes, they made a disclaimer that the release of those features would be delayed. They are still advertised and promised to be released though. They have yet, to come out and say they will not be released. So, they are still advertised, and promised features.

You mean to tell me, that selling the radios, is not self funding for getting firmware to include advertised features?

Fact is they did release a feature addition, before getting the radios up to advertised spec.

I want to hear from someone who actually has some knowledge of what is going on, and not some made up excuses.

False and deceptive advertising is sound business practice?

Uniden owes all owners, the features that are missing.

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
Who cares about the X36HP radios anymore. Just dump them on EBAY for a loss and take your lumps and be done with it. The radios from the beginning had hardware issues anyways. These issues have been very well documented by me since the beginning of time. It will never be fixed.

Stay with either the Homepatrol II or the BCD996P2 models.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If you go out and buy something that you do not research then you have done something very stupid

So it is completely caveat emptor. I guess the government needs to repeal all of the truth in advertising laws and all people that work for consumer protection groups need to file for unemployment. Call your local news stations because they need to reassign their consumer reporters to puff pieces.

The people that believed Uniden's line of "Q1 2014" for release of the missing features showed good faith and as a result of that good faith got screwed since the grace period to return the radios passed while they were waiting. Uniden had a reputation as a stand up company based on most peoples previous interactions, so there was no reason to not believe them in this promise. If Uniden had been honest and said "We really have no idea when the features will be available" I'm sure there wouldn't be as many people complaining....of course Uniden probably wouldn't have sold many scanners either. To put it on the consumer shows that you have no problem with companies lying (deliberate or unintentional) about their products.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Who cares about the X36HP radios anymore. Just dump them on EBAY for a loss and take your lumps and be done with it. The radios from the beginning had hardware issues anyways. These issues have been very well documented by me since the beginning of time. It will never be fixed.

I do because it is a good radio-better than the HP2 or 996P2 in my comparisons. I want to keep the radio, but I also want all of the features I paid for.

I have been very careful about comments like "it will never be fixed" because that can't be said until the next flagship radio has been rolled out.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Without all the extras that Uniden promised and never came through with, how does the 536 perform out of the box as a sit on the shelf day to day scanner?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Without all the extras that Uniden promised and never came through with, how does the 536 perform out of the box as a sit on the shelf day to day scanner?

I'm very happy with it as my main scanner. It decodes the RISCON system well and has better digital audio than the 996XT it replaced. That's why I would rather keep it and press for the advertised features than to offload it at a loss and get something that doesn't perform as well

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Thanks City, yeah i been tossing the idea around between a 536 or Hp2. In my case it would be to just plug it in, zipcode program it and let it do it's thing. I'm not into all the bells and whistles. Just looking for a day in day out solid performer..

WQPW689

I've got two of the x36 series radios. True, it took Uniden to repair the defects, but they work fine for what I bought them for, which was radio reception.

Documented by you, huh?

You're the guy thought the ProVoice option was "horrible", aren't you?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Thanks City, yeah i been tossing the idea around between a 536 or Hp2. In my case it would be to just plug it in, zipcode program it and let it do it's thing. I'm not into all the bells and whistles. Just looking for a day in day out solid performer..

I saw your 536 vs. HP2 thread. Lots of good advice there. If you're looking for local only, you should be fine with either. I find the 536 to process audio a bit better and to have a slightly more sensitive receiver, but that's on an external antenna with signals 50+ miles away.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Have you experienced and issues with your 536?

I did have the RTC issue. When I sent it in, I enclosed a note asking them to be sure this radio did not have the headphone jack or LED issues. They replaced the RTC battery and shipped it back, but UPS lost it on me. Uniden provided a replacement that is working without issue (with a lower serial number than my radio,) so I'm not sure I can truly answer your question

Voyager

No the analyze features are not additions.

If they are not additions, that means they are already in the scanner.

End of problem. :D

Are you seriously going to argue the definition of additions? It is something that needs to be added. Isn't that you're entire argument?

Voyager

Also ignoring the issues which are being fixed, it's one of the best scanners ever made to date.

There is no hardware issue on the newer ones that anyone has documented. Anyone who says otherwise is talking about the older versions.

You're the guy thought the ProVoice option was "horrible", aren't you?

He is the guy who wants to see UPMan fired and Uniden out of business. That says it all. His trash talk is just him trying to further his agenda.

k3fs

Yep, I will argue the definition of additional. The analyze features are not additional. They were advertised and promised as the original set of features. Their current lack of being there is an omission on Uniden's part. Anything that was not originally advertised and promised as features is an addition.

They have made additions before they have brought out the initial set of features.

k3fs

No its not there. It is no where near what was advertised. Advanced trunk analyzing, is not there. You get more information off of any radio, including the Pro96, by sitting on the control channel. There are specific things mentioned, such as Band Scope. These are not on par with the features of the Home Patrol Extreme upgrade as was advertised. In fact this radio gives the least amount of information, of any radio I have.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The menu says analyze and it works. You must have wanted a HP Service Monitor built in for free. It has a use and works you assume it was something else. My box says nothing about analyze. Not sure were you got your info from.

Boatanchor

Some people, myself included, purchased the x36 thinking that the analyze features would be similar in scope and functionality to the extreme upgrade in the HP1/2 - Sadly, this was/is not the case.

There's probably not much point beating a dead horse over it this late in the game, unless you are willing to put your money where your mouth is and take legal action..

The x36 does at least have true NFM filtering, has a massive amount of available memory and will display longer alias's, so it does have some redeeming features.

I believe both the manufacturers and consumers learned a lot of hard truths from the X36 rollout.

If there is a next time, maybe the manufacturers will take a little more time and effort and conduct some real market research before trying to reinvent the wheel. Don't base your multi-million dollar decisions on the opinion of just one or two staff on payroll who think they know what consumers want or will be willing to pay for.

You can't please all the people, all the time, but you can try and please the majority, most of the time..

Focus on form (form factor/battery life, durability and display), basic functionality (analogue and digital audio quality) and RF performance and you will have a successful design. Deviate from these and start focusing on bells and whistles and you will fail miserably - IMHO :)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Boatanchor I can agree with your above statement on all points accept legal for the fact it does not matter how long it has taken for addons we have gotten or not gotten because we were never given a time line on releases. Yes I would like more addons but I can do with out because it is a great scanner for me as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.