Why Oh Why Paul Opitz, Why Oh Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
We all need to be mindful of the fact that if Uniden goes out of business that will pretty much just leave Whistler to make new scanners which means NO COMPETITION which will then result in higher prices and less effort applied to innovation. All of which will hurt the scanner community and the hobby as well. In other words we all lose. I am very happy with my Uniden scanners and appreciate UPman's assistance on here as well. I am well aware of the 536's issues and still hope for the Android Siren app but I don't think anyone will be served by Uniden's demise.

Voyager

Yep, I will argue the definition of additional.
<snip>
Anything that was not originally advertised and promised as features is an addition.

I see your logic. It's flawed, but I see it now.

Actually, anything that is NOT CURRENTLY in the firmware requires an addition to be in the firmware.

Features just don't magically appear without being added - no matter when they were planned, announced, desired, considered, or anything else. They still don't just magically appear without being added to the firmware.

You are arguing the point that just because they were planned previously, they are already in the firmware and apparently just disabled or something. I really don't believe that is the case.

Voyager

I'm not defending deception. I'm only stating that anything not currently in the firmware has to be added to be in the firmware. No deception is involved in that statement.

You're taking my argument that it must be added to be in the firmware as me saying it should not be added. I never said any such thing.

Simple fact is that any feature that does not currently exist must be added to exist. That applies to future ideas, current ideas, and past "promises". I put that in quotes since we differ on what was actually promised, and I'm not going to argue that point and I never have. I know what you want to see in the Analysis. I'm not saying it was or was not promised. Regardless, promised or not, if it's not in the firmware currently it will have to be added to exist in the firmware.

I don't believe I can make my position any more clear than that.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Again how can you cry deception when you were never promised a date. It stated future addons with no date listed for adding features. Did you know that if you want a spare tire for your new $30,000.00 car it is extra.

D

darunimal

But why should I have to pay extra for a spare tire that should have already been in by now, I understood you couldn't give me an "exact ship/receive date," for said spare but I think I, "in good faith" have waited long enough.

I never called and raised my voice, in fact, I never called to check the progress. I thought you guys, "as a reputable dealership would call me" and tell me when its in.

At least amortize my loss and I will gladly take my business else where.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Again how can you cry deception when you were never promised a date.

But they were. There was no disclaimer about feature unavailability in the live product announcement on November 16, 2013, and the first revision of that video stated that features under development would be available Q1 2014. It wasn't until the third revision of the video that there was no promised date.

Voyager

Of course at that time there was no warning of a looming headphone jack issue, an LED issue, an RTC issue, or a WiFi dongle firmware delay either.

BTW, only the WiFi was expected Q1 2014, and UPMan gave periodic updates on this forum as to the progress (or lack of it) from the vendor.

Do all your plans always go perfectly?

Again, I attribute all of this to the changing world of parts that are made cheaply. You don't know that until you buy and use them. And then there is the counterfeit issue.

It's not the 20th century anymore. The world is more and more interdependent. With that comes more opportunities to fowl that interdependence.

There is an old saying. To err is human. To really mess things up takes a computer.

Why is that? The faster things go the easier it is to derail processes.

mancow

Database Admin
FFS, the guy making the ADCR25 has released numerous firmware revisions adding several new modes and features within the last year, many just this month. Don't tell me it's different either. It's a full on multi protocol trunked receiver.

Three years and still nothing is inexcusable from an established major manufacturer. They simply do not want to devote the resources and funding toward it.

Stop please.

Last edited:

k3fs

Analyze functions were promised first quarter 2014, and then multiple delays, and then after April 2015 there has been nothing about it. 2 years is well beyond perfect plans. There is no excuse for it. Uniden should be honest and transparent enough to address this, and not leave it to people who do not know what is going on to fight their battles. Pathetic.

Please....you don't need to try to make excuses for them. Of all the products Uniden makes, they all of a sudden ran into counterfeit parts, that are only affecting the 436/536. Not just one, but two defects are related to counterfeit parts. Really??? I would think they would proudly profess the parts suppliers fault and try to save their reputation. Not to mention have them cover the cost of repairs.

Those were all hardware issues. No reason for a software guy to quit working on getting their products to advertised spec. The 436/536 are not their only cash flow. I doubt a firmware update to bring product to advertised spec is going to bankrupt them.

All my plans do not go perfectly, but I don't advertise or charge people for my plans. Really the faster things go? Over two years is NOT fast.

Voyager

Either counterfeit or defective parts. The x36 series is the only ones that use them which explains why only those models are affected. So I'm not misquoted again, the x36 series is the only scanner to use these specific white LEDs, and the only one to use this specific RTC.

We know for a fact the LEDs were replaced with different ones. So far, no failures. Although it has only been a few months.

I would think any public comments on the matter could affect potential litigation.

As for the update, R&D is not free. It costs money. I'm pretty sure Uniden does not have an unlimited budget. It's not the monolith division some think it is.

As for the fast comment, the world as a whole is much faster. It's faster to design products, faster to produce them, faster to ship them, and faster for issues to be known by users. This is largely due to the internet which has sped up communications ability for the masses. Unfortunately, it's also faster for some companies to make counterfeit and cheap parts. The recent "chicom" radios are a perfect example. How much did a dual band ham portable cost 10 years ago? You can get one for $50 now.

k3fs

What? RTC is no longer a firmware issue?

I guess the braver, and smarter than me people who took the 436 apart, and pinpointed the problems are all wrong as well. Of all the radios they make, they have have yet to find a source for parts that are reliable. I guess they have never used new parts for any other product before? Let Uniden give their own excuses.

Getting the firmware to bring product to advertised spec shouldn't be costing them an unlimited amount. You would think you would R&D your capabilities before advertising, and charging money for something you may or may not be able to deliver.

Hmmm they had the R&D money to add features not included in the initial feature spec.

Voyager

What? RTC is no longer a firmware issue?

Apparently not. That issue, which was raised by Don Starr, was very credible given his experience. OR maybe it was a firmware issue which was resolved but in the mean time the batteries were damaged.

I guess the braver, and smarter than me people who took the 436 apart, and pinpointed the problems are all wrong as well.

Please provide references. I've never read about any pinpointed problems aside from some changing the LEDs with the same ones and they worked again (for a while). Some even had Uniden replace them. But, if you replace bad parts with bad parts, the problem is never solved.

Of all the radios they make, they have have yet to find a source for parts that are reliable. I guess they have never used new parts for any other product before? Let Uniden give their own excuses.

It's called progress. If they kept using the same parts, you would never have anything other than what they made when they stopped improving designs.

You would think you would R&D your capabilities before advertising, and charging money for something you may or may not be able to deliver.

Are we talking about Uniden? Or Microsoft? Or GM? Or virtually any other corporation? R&D is an ongoing process. None of the companies mentioned have operated the way you suggest.

Hmmm they had the R&D money to add features not included in the initial feature spec.

If you mean ProVoice, it is self-funding (at least I'm sure that's how it was proposed).

There is a difference between features that make money on their own vs ones that do not. Those that do not are built into the product base budget.

Maybe that is the issue - Uniden should have kept charging for the Extreme features. Then they too would have been self-funding.

Of course, the extreme features are there - at no additional charge. They are just not what you expected they would be or what you want them to be.

D

darunimal

Making a fiasco free model is also a self-funding endeavor, bottom line whom "PENCIL WHIPPED" QC what and where, it's cost us all collectively Uniden and Users! It stinks that this happened!

Last edited:

Voyager

Yes, it stinks that some companies out there are cloning the work of others, but some governments are not as strict about that as most are - especially in countries trying to get ahead in the world by using shortcuts.

Maybe if that is stopped, we will return to a time when parts were available that didn't fail. It's not as if Uniden is alone in this issue. Some corporations many times larger have had the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.