Bc346 free scan to scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianM84

Premium Subscriber
Trying to download the frequncies from frees can to my scanner and I am getting the COM1 error. I believe the cable I am using is an older one an I am using Windows 8.1. What exactly do I have to do to get this uploaded to my scanner?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This sounds like it's neither a FreeScan,nor a scanner issue. Windows 8.1 is VERY finicky about good drivers and chipsets.

The old HXA chipset is known to cause significant issues with 8.1. We have a lot of information on this linked in the following article from our wiki. (from topic 6.3).

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Time to update the cable and associated drivers...and don't forget to set the port speed in the scanner menu. That's NOT set by default. Mike

D

darunimal

Also double trying the send to scanner or comm port in free scan after the cord is initially plugged in, can help freescan recognize the scanner, there is a known glitch where initial com port check doesn't work the first time, but a 2nd try often does works, also don't forget to turn the GPS port to at least 4800 baud

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's only 1 port on the 346, which is essentially an update to the older 246...Mike

BrianM84

Premium Subscriber
This sounds like it's neither a FreeScan,nor a scanner issue. Windows 8.1 is VERY finicky about good drivers and chipsets.

The old HXA chipset is known to cause significant issues with 8.1. We have a lot of information on this linked in the following article from our wiki. (from topic 6.3).

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Time to update the cable and associated drivers...and don't forget to set the port speed in the scanner menu. That's NOT set by default. Mike

For some reason when I plug it in, nothing pops up to recognize the USB cable on my computer. I basically did what that Wiki article said and still no luck. My friend has another cable so maybe we will try that one, but I don't know when.

This article from the FreeScan User Guide summarizes the steps for setting the port speed on the scanner...

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

I set it on the freescan to 4800 but just realized it was at 115,200 on the scanner. Do they have to be the same on the program and scanner?

Thank you for the replies. This is all new to me

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Plugging the cable in is not sufficient. You need to have loaded drivers first.

Yes, you need to match the speed on your PC COM port (newer PCs you can run 115k no sweat) and the port on the scanner

Mike

Voyager

Are you talking about plugging in the cable only or the cable connected to the scanner. The cable alone won't trigger anything on the part of the PC.

BrianM84

Premium Subscriber
Does it beep when connecting? (the PC, that is)

If so, does it show in Device Manager?

Also, Is the driver loaded as Mike suggested?

It does not beep when connecting.

I don't see anything in device manager that is different when plugged or unplugged.

I'm not sure how to load the drivers. I'm not that computer savvy
This is something I downlaoded

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.0.zip

D

darunimal

Which version of Windows are you using and, have you tried to obtain an earlier version of the Prolific Driver.

Here is your a name of a chip check utility for prolific driver you can search google for it checkChipVersion_v1006

Last edited:

Voyager

Earlier, I was thinking the 346 has a USB port for programming, but now I'm wondering if it has a Uniden proprietary connector.
(the 346 is one of the models I don't have)

Also, is your cable a USB or Serial cable? The serial would explain why it does not beep when connected. All you do with the serial cable is set the COM port in the software.

D

darunimal

Earlier, I was thinking the 346 has a USB port for programming, but now I'm wondering if it has a Uniden proprietary connector.
(the 346 is one of the models I don't have).

You think, can't google it smh wth

With the serial cable you set the COM port in the software and hardware, inside the device manager, as well as the scanner it self

Last edited:

BrianM84

Premium Subscriber
(the 346 is one of the models I don't have)

Also, is your cable a USB or Serial cable? The serial would explain why it does not beep when connected. All you do with the serial cable is set the COM port in the software.

It was a USB cable. The scanner came with a serial cable in the box. I only have a laptop that doesn't have a connection for that. I was thinking about downloading freescan on my girlfriends desktop computer with an earlier windows version and the serial cable to see if I have any luck with that.

Voyager

You think, can't google it

I did - didn't find any pics of the connector, and found conflicting info on which cable it uses.

But, it's apparently the old style. Maybe it was post 2's USB notation that had me thinking it was USB.

That established, and with the guy using the USB-1 (apparently), the driver might well be the prolific one posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.