146.520 Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I personally never see handles like that around where I am other than maybe "net control", that's what people do on Citizens Band.

I'm surprised these Jokers even use their legitimate call signs. At the very least they're showing poor etiquette and disruptive conduct, whatever that means anymore.
My mistake, I thought that the only calls that were given were "Little Saigon" and "Knotts Berry Farm", and I was wondering what database had things like that, after re-reading all of the posts, I saw they they were actually using their REAL calls also... (which no one actually posted)

Thanks
Joel

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Just a question, what database has "calls" like "Little Saigon" or "Red Rider" unless these are really peoples names ?
I get Knotts, that's really a plausible name, and if he owns a berry farm, then knotts berry farm would be reasonable.
Since these lids are more akin to CBers from the 1970's than hams, I chose to call them by their self-assigned QTH rather than their actual FCC callsigns..

"Tactical" callsigns-
............. if 'Little Saigon or 'Berry Farm' can be classed as such; they are as much a part of radio since radio's earliest days. You need look no farther afield than the military- they love these calls.... and as long as a ham also identifies with his FCC callsign it is perfectly legal to use them as well in the US.

What gets funny, weird- or dicey- is when you end up with a call that you didn't choose- like the the clown who does bird whistles on a repeater and forever becomes known as the 'Tweety."

When I was working, me and my guys all had/used 'tactical' calls..... I was "Coyote" - something to do with my ability to scrounge electronic goodies (how I did that we won't go into :sneaky: )--- And then when I nearly froze to death my team (purely an exaggeration, I assure you--- unless you were there) --once upon a time in the Arctic, --they-- added "Frostbite."
For the remainder of my career*** ....and beyond........ I have remained "Coyote Frostbite."

tn_Coyanta6.jpg

(My best friend and colleague who looks like a Barbi doll and just happens to be named Barbara--- well, you can guess her call :) )

I am sure there are many reading this, ex-military and all, that have colourful 'tactical callsign' stories.
Does this add to the 52 abuse theme ?

Semi

I can never stay on topic for long :sneaky:

Lauri

***I had something to do with the government

Last edited:

W8HDU

Hmmm... I earned tactical "Chief". I don't know if that's because I'm a chief PITA, or thought of as the leader of the tribe, but truth known it's probably because my official title at work is Chief Operator, or head of engineering for broadcasting. The only time we use the name is on our business frequency. On ham I'm by the book.

k6cpo

Hmmm... I earned tactical "Chief". I don't know if that's because I'm a chief PITA, or thought of as the leader of the tribe, but truth known it's probably because my official title at work is Chief Operator, or head of engineering for broadcasting. The only time we use the name is on our business frequency. On ham I'm by the book.

I'm known by "Chief" among my Navy buddies because I'm a retired Chief Petty Officer. Hence my call also...

k6cpo

There's always a colorful story to go with anyone you meet that's given the nickname "Sparky"!

"Sparks" was a nickname given to US Navy Radiomen because their rating badge looks like electrical sparks. I don't know if that is still used as the rating is now called "Information Systems Technician." The badge is still the same.

k6cpo

"Tactical" callsigns-
............. if 'Little Saigon or 'Berry Farm' can be classed as such; they are as much a part of radio since radio's earliest days. You need look no farther afield than the military- they love these calls.... and as long as a ham also identifies with his FCC callsign it is perfectly legal to use them as well in the US.

What gets funny, weird- or dicey- is when you end up with a call that you didn't choose- like the the clown who does bird whistles on a repeater and forever becomes known as the 'Tweety."

When I was working, me and my guys all had/used 'tactical' calls..... I was "Coyote" - something to do with my ability to scrounge electronic goodies (how I did that we won't go into :sneaky: )--- And then when I nearly froze to death my team (purely an exaggeration, I assure you--- unless you were there) --once upon a time in the Arctic, --they-- added "Frostbite."
For the remainder of my career*** ....and beyond........ I have remained "Coyote Frostbite."

View attachment 126206

(My best friend and colleague who looks like a Barbi doll and just happens to be named Barbara--- well, you can guess her call :) )

I am sure there are many reading this, ex-military and all, that have colourful 'tactical callsign' stories.
Does this add to the 52 abuse theme ?

Semi

I can never stay on topic for long :sneaky:

Lauri

***I had something to do with the government

After a 20 year Navy career in Operations, I could give you a few...

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Amateur radio is a direct reflection of today's selfish society. It's all about ME ME ME. Entitlement attitude is prevalent everywhere.

Used to be, operators cared about technical excellence, LISTENED more than talk. Understood that repeaters are others' property and to respect others' property. Didn't blabbermouth on calling frequencies, kerchunkerbate (kerchunk masturbate) repeaters incessantly, butt into QSOs with nothing relevant to add, but alas, just as society is filled with selfish people buried in a smartphone tweeting everytime they cut a fart, all while ignoring those around them, can one expect the amateur community to be immune from such similar behaviors on the air?

Think about how our society has devolved since the advent of social media, and the endless need for those to CONSUME versus PRODUCE and how this has impacted our hobby. Much less productive participation. Much less of "We" and more of "Me".

I never got licensed, but I've been into radio since 1969 and probably have thousands of hours of listening from DC to light.
I used to live in the NY/NJ area and remember in the 70's-80's hearing professional and tech discussions on 2m and it was busy. Never had the discipline to study though and I'll admit it up front. Took electric shop class in high school and someone had donated an old Gonset Communicator II and I'd listen to the repeaters by slope detection. There were no shennanegins. (sp?) Good memories.

OP could move to Pa. ! 🤣🤡🙄 You can leave a scanner on 2m/440 for hours and hours and squelch won't break once. The few conversations I have heard are all inane subject matter of no interest to me, never anything tech. I'm not a social person so I have no desire to talk either. Just my 2cents.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
One of the guys here in the shop goes by "Gunny". You can probably figure out what he did. ;)
Back in the CB days I was Alpha Jet. Picked up the handle from a hotshot piggyback train that the CNJ RR ran. Showing my age...
There's a Gunny here but he's canine. 😁

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
OP could move to Pa. ! 🤣🤡🙄 You can leave a scanner on 2m/440 for hours and hours and squelch won't break once.
@trentbob would know about PA! I'm a west coaster for life.
I don't object to radio traffic and I have far more hours listening than talking--BUT these two users are simply channel hogs. While they seem to be operating within the law (mostly), there's a sufficient inventory of other unused and undesignated 2m frequencies for their ad nauseam ragchews.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It all depends on what part of Pennsylvania you are in, Pennsylvania is a big state. I'm in Bucks County on the lower end of the county, on the Philadelphia border, I'm also on the New Jersey border in the Trenton metropolitan area and 2 m and 70 cm are pretty busy. It's club repeaters. There are a lot of clubs especially in the Philly area. I have two repeater inputs very close to me.

I agree that it's usually the same group of fellows around the same times of day and is often not too technical, it is simply rag chewing. Sometimes it's interesting but, I don't have a summer home, I don't have a swimming pool, I don't have a big lawn to care for, I'm not married, and I don't have tens of thousands of dollars worth the equipment LOL. Kind of leaves me out.

However, clubs do have weekly Nets, some are social and some are technical.

If you are in the middle of the state somewhere where there's more bears and deer than there are people then I can imagine the radio being pretty quiet especially if there aren't a lot of repeaters with clubs attached to them.

I will say this regarding the recent discussion about handles and nicknames and tactical calls attached to operators. Where I am I never hear that at all, ever. I can understand the military and Citizens Band but it's not done on amateur radio where I am.

To hear someone called Knott's Farm or Little Saigon would be considered awkward and atypical. Especially if they hogged a frequency with rubbish like these pinheads are that Roger is dealing with. :ROFLMAO:

@trentbob would know about PA! I'm a west coaster for life.
I don't object to radio traffic and I have far more hours listening than talking--BUT these two users are simply channel hogs. While they seem to be operating within the law (mostly), there's a sufficient inventory of other unused and undesignated 2m frequencies for their ad nauseam ragchews.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
It all depends on what part of Pennsylvania you are in, Pennsylvania is a big state. I'm in Bucks County on the lower end of the county, on the Philadelphia border, I'm also on the New Jersey border in the Trenton metropolitan area and 2 m and 70 cm are pretty busy. It's club repeaters. There are a lot of clubs especially in the Philly area. I have two repeater inputs very close to me.

I agree that it's usually the same group of fellows around the same times of day and is often not too technical, it is simply rag chewing. Sometimes it's interesting but, I don't have a summer home, I don't have a swimming pool, I don't have a big lawn to care for, I'm not married, and I don't have tens of thousands of dollars worth the equipment LOL. Kind of leaves me out.

However, clubs do have weekly Nets, some are social and some are technical.

If you are in the middle of the state somewhere where there's more bears and deer than there are people then I can imagine the radio being pretty quiet especially if there aren't a lot of repeaters with clubs attached to them.

I will say this regarding the recent discussion about handles and nicknames and tactical calls attached to operators. Where I am I never hear that at all, ever. I can understand the military and Citizens Band but it's not done on amateur radio where I am.

To hear someone called Knott's Farm or Little Saigon would be considered awkward and atypical. Especially if they hogged a frequency with rubbish like these pinheads are that Roger is dealing with. :ROFLMAO:

Central Pa between Lewisburg and State College. Pretty remote in places.
Had to say something when I saw your sigline-used to go to the Warminster hamfest when they had it at the old drive-in. Good memories of having money and being able to afford Motorolas. All finito now..
Not a club guy either.. one politic and I'm out.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Central Pa between Lewisburg and State College. Pretty remote in places.
Had to say something when I saw your sigline-used to go to the Warminster hamfest when they had it at the old drive-in. Good memories of having money and being able to afford Motorolas. All finito now..
Not a club guy either.. one politic and I'm out.
Yep, I am a member of WARC, well run, professional ARC and we just had our ham fest at the Bucks County Community College annex in Bristol, it had been a couple of years because of the virus..

You are in a remote part of the state compared to my area even though we still have deer wandering around all over the place, hence the name Bucks County.

6079smithw

It all depends on what part of Pennsylvania you are in, Pennsylvania is a big state. .
True dat... I've driven I80 from end to end in PA for decades. Most of the activity is on the east and
west ends; can be pretty quiet at times in Central. Hear occasional repeater IDs but very little chatter.
FWIW I went by "Twin-Stick" after the old-school Spicer 6+4 heavy truck transmission.

I do love the landscape across PA on that road, especially when the leaves are changing color early Fall!

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes Pennsylvania is a beautiful state, incredible, with some parts like the North West in Erie County and North Central in Tioga County with Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon.. is.. truly God's country.

Getting back to Tactical calls and handles, like the two chuckleheads this thread is about, Little Saigon and Knott's Farm, before I said we never use them in my area and a friend reminded me that we actually do.

I can say that we never use handles when talking to each other, we use first names during a QSO but Tactical calls are used for special events of which we've had so few of in the last couple of years.

Large bike rides like the annual ride to the shore has ham operators up and down the route as observers, guides and canteen services. In that case tactical calls would be used such as post # xx.. also special events like field day or hamfest parking duty. I had forgotten about that till I was reminded of it.

Last edited:

W8HDU

Back in the CB days I was Alpha Jet. Picked up the handle from a hotshot piggyback train that the CNJ RR ran. Showing my age...
There's a Gunny here but he's canine. 😁

There was a fellow who worked at the big yard near Moline OH, where they would take cars up a hill and let them roll down the other side to sort them. He had a "handle" which always attracted some attention unless you knew the railroad business. He went by "Humper" on channel 14 for years. He lived in west Toledo and would be on the air between home and work. Moline is on the SE side of Toledo. If an YL would question his name on the air, he always had the same answer, "Ohhhh you dirty girl".

Status
Not open for further replies.