2009 Chevy Tahoe PPV Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

What the heck is a Sharkee? LOL... got a link? One antenna line from the roof does have 12v, a small wifi type coax, larger coax for vhf or uhf etc so sounds like its what you are talking about.

Sefrischling, the combo mounts were from eBay. Ill post more details and a better picture later today hopefully.

Wiring up the front IONs on the pushbumper and front Vertexs this morning, maybe Ill do a video tonight of those.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Premium Subscriber
Sefrischling, the combo mounts were from eBay. Ill post more details and a better picture later today hopefully.

Thanks. If you have a link to eBay I'd appreciate it. I am looking and don't see it. Come fall I am finally putting three NMOs in my roof and one of those would be great. I assume two wires come out the bottom, one to hook into GPS, one to hook into radio, yes?

Last edited:

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. If you have a link to eBay I'd appreciate it. I am looking and don't see it. Come fall I am finally putting three NMOs in my roof and one of those would be great. I assume two wires come out the bottom, one to hook into GPS, one to hook into radio, yes?

just search for gps nmo

KJ6HCB

A whopping $10 or so a piece, sold in sets of 2.

2ea Pctel Maxrad Gpspsmmsma NMO GPS Combo Antenna Stud Mount Ham Aprs | eBay

s96hR6w.jpg

qiPRlVI.jpg

Yw4QWA9.jpg

That Sharkee setup is cool, I imagine pretty expensive new? Ill be removing it if anyone is interested in purchasing.

Honestly Im not even sure if I will use this mount, I need a GPS solution for in car computer but thats it at this point, which will probably be USB based.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Happen to have a link to the GPS integrated NMO mounts? Those look fantastic.

I buy mine from theantennafarm.com

Look under NMO specialty mounts.

I only get mine there because i've been buying from him for years, has always treated me right, and i can specifcy what connections i want on any mount.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
That Sharkee setup is cool, I imagine pretty expensive new? Ill be removing it if anyone is interested in purchasing.

Honestly Im not even sure if I will use this mount, I need a GPS solution for in car computer but thats it at this point, which will probably be USB based.

Its like 200-250 depending on configuration.

Typically gets configured with your choice of whip for the radio, an active GPS module, dual/tri or quad band cellular, single or dual band wifi.

There should be 4 cables coming out of it (unless its an older one that only has 3 antennas) One should be long, the rest should be terminated with an FME after like 12-18 inches, with patch cables attached terminating in specific plugs.

Removal should be easy enough, it should be a single hole for the cable pass thru secured by a nut.

The roof gasket should not be adhesive, unless they decided to stick silicone under it (not supposed to).. although it may stick to the paint and tear.

Depending on its model, I may want it. Let me know when you remove it and see if theres a model printed on it somewhere, or the number of wires coming out.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Oh, and as far as the topic of wiring to the front for your front lighting.

In your year, they still used the alternating flasher relay for the grille lights.
If you locate the relay (trace the harness up from the grille) you can find the relay. Remove the relay and locate the trigger wire. Use that as + for your grille LEDs, and thats the color that you need to find in the under dash harness.

Or, in theory, if you locate the speaker wire pair, you could use those for + and - for the grille leds, and connect that to your switching inside... unless you plan on using a speaker.

I can tell you that the colors in the 13 are blue and green for speaker, and grey and tan for flashers. But that uses a different system on the flashers. And thats the only SSV tahoe i have access to at work.

KJ6HCB

Same colors as mine for speakers and flasher, but I plan on using the speaker wiring. Maybe Ill tap into the relay trigger like you mentioned.

Couple pictures from the fireground earlier this morning...

qKnliyE.jpg

fYDogri.jpg

Last edited:

KJ6HCB

Madrabbit, do you know where that flasher is? I found the headlight/taillight flasher which is on the front passenger forward wheel well fender area. Not sure where the grille flasher is but havent poked around too much yet.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
trace the lines back to it. should be around there.

i'm only familiar with the newer ones that dont have the flasher relay, thats what we have here at the agency i'm working this summer.

my old agency never bought tahoes.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Also, after seeing how well these are taken care of, i really wouldnt mind a surplus federal SSV tahoe instead of a truck on my next personal vehicle purchase.

KJ6HCB

I just found a few 12 gauge primarys they ran through the accessory grommet, so Im just going to use those as a fish line and run a new couple of wires through, that way I know everything is good.

KJ6HCB

Quick daytime cell video of front Ions and Vertexs.

https://vid.me/wkpm

Still have Whelen LINZ6 housings to go in the fog light areas as well as a set of surface mount IONs on the side of the front bumper.

Ill work on the rear tomorrow hopefully.

N8OHU

Threw a BCD536HP temporarily and 2 dual slimlighters in the back hatch. Doesnt seem like much interest here so Ill update maybe next week.

Oh, there's interest; I'm trying not to drool all over my keyboard. :D

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
2nd I'm interested as well. Trying to figure out where to put the same scanner as you in my truck. I have the Havis drop in console with my Motorola CDM1250 in there now. So I'd need to find somewhere else to mount the scanner ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438733187.273366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.