• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2020 Chevy Silverado install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So mmckenna, am I seeing this right, you like encryption?

I like encryption. It absolutely has it's place in the industry.

I run a couple of systems, one has many encrypted talkgroups. I'm working with a consultant on a new system for our PD, and it will include some encrypted channels. I believe that primary dispatch channels in the clear make a fair amount of sense in most situations, just like encrypted channels make sense in others. Most hobbyists comprehend the need for encryption, unfortunately some do not.
The mention of it is sort of a test to see how others react. Sort of like posting political beliefs.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
If you use the "right" antenna hole saw, it takes the "scary" away! Also, if you use "quality" mounts you should not have a problem!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you use the "right" antenna hole saw, it takes the "scary" away! Also, if you use "quality" mounts you should not have a problem!

Exactly. But fear is powerful, and it causes people to dream up all kinds of reason for not doing it.

I'm totally good with "I don't want to.", but when I hear the "resale value/leak/damage" etc. it makes me want to puke. Either do it right or not, but don't make excuses.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Exactly. But fear is powerful, and it causes people to dream up all kinds of reason for not doing it.

I'm totally good with "I don't want to.", but when I hear the "resale value/leak/damage" etc. it makes me want to puke. Either do it right or not, but don't make excuses.
It’s quite possible they don’t have the skills and it could cause those issues. I’ve never drilled a hole in the top of any of my vehicles. I wouldn’t trust myself doing the first one without skilled assistance.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It’s quite possible they don’t have the skills and it could cause those issues. I’ve never drilled a hole in the top of any of my vehicles. I wouldn’t trust myself doing the first one without skilled assistance.

That's certainly something to consider. But, I have taken my vehicles to a radio shop and had them do it. Yes, it's more expensive and I could buy a hole saw cheaper but this gives me a little bit more comfort. :) Now, if @mmckenna was doing his nationwide tour I might coordinate with him to do it.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I still have a hard time visualizing how to not have to pull down the headliner. Instead of " Just drill the damn hole.", maybe the signature could say "Just pull down the damn headliner." :D:LOL::)(y)
Perhaps you're thinking of completely pulling down the headliner, as in completely detaching it? Not usually needed as other have said. I have two antennas in my roof and removed one visor, a few handles, and pillar trims to drop the headliner just enough to visually inspect and make sure I wasn't drilling into crossmembers or support structure but only had to drop the corner to achieve this. Turns out I could've done with even less of a drop but I had the time and it also meant I didn't even need fish tape to route the cables.
IMG_5.jpgIMG_6.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps you're thinking of completely pulling down the headliner, as in completely detaching it? Not usually needed as other have said. I have two antennas in my roof and removed one visor, a few handles, and pillar trims to drop the headliner just enough to visually inspect and make sure I wasn't drilling into crossmembers or support structure but only had to drop the corner to achieve this. Turns out I could've done with even less of a drop but I had the time and it also meant I didn't even need fish tape to route the cables.
View attachment 91331View attachment 91332

While this is what many do, some do it without even removing it that much.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I can understand that. But that's what radio shops are for.
Mag mounts, trunk lip, etc. all have their place, and if someone wants to use them, then fine. No one should be forced, cajoled, or pressured into doing something they don't want to do. A shop should be able to do an NMO install for you for probably less than $100, including installing the correct coaxial connector.
Or wait for me to retire and I'll make a swing through your state.

For $50 extra, I'll do the install after midnight when your wife is asleep and be gone before daylight.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
While this is what many do, some do it without even removing it that much.
Right, I've done many vehicles without much drop, especially when I've already done several of the same (as in a fleet). Some vehicles it's much easier to drop the headliner than others. Mine was super easy and didn't take long.

kb4mdz

Mag mounts, trunk lip, etc. all have their place, and if someone wants to use them, then fine. No one should be forced, cajoled, or pressured into doing something they don't want to do. A shop should be able to do an NMO install for you for probably less than $100, including installing the correct coaxial connector.

For $50 extra, I'll do the install after midnight when your wife is asleep and be gone before daylight.

Might require an upgrade on the brand of beer. Like, no Jenny Cream Ale, thanks.

OhSixTJ

Okay, you have the cable to the edge of the headliner. The A and B-pillars in the four door cabs have airbags in them. Which way did you go to get the cable down without interfering with the bags?

behind them. Airbags stay between the cab and the cable.

ems55

Premium Subscriber

You need my address now ?????

lu81fitter

I've done about 20 drill installs. At about # 12, I went to a guys house and he said he had everything we need. He was about 90 minutes away, so I was just making a day trip out of it. When I got there, he had the wrong size hole saw. Sunday... Rural area... Nothing open for miles. We dug thru his tool box and the only thing we could find was a 3/4" wood spade bit!! :oops: We did a test run on a piece of metal he had laying around, and it did ok, so we took it to his truck. It hasn't leaked so far. That was almost 2 years ago. I don't recommend that, but it worked.
I'll say this spade bit had the cutting tip protruding from the edge of the spade, so you had to go very easily when drilling. I wouldn't advise this to anyone, but it did work in this case.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On another note, mmckenna doesn't do anything 2nd rate! We should all take notice of his craftsmanship and expertise on doing radio installs! I have learned a lot from reading about the things he has done on this forum. Kudos to you mmckenna!! You always do it right!

Thanks man. I've been doing telecommunications work for a long time. It didn't take long for me to realize doing it right the first time was the best solution. To me, doing a job half way is an embarrassment and reflects on the craftsman. It also results in getting called back to fix it later. For most of my stuff, a half way job would endanger someone else and that would require me explaining to someone high up why I didn't do it correctly. Officers rely on their radios, and letting them down because I'm feeling lazy doesn't work. It also would end up in me getting called out on a cold rainy night to fix whatever was screwed up. I don't like that and neither does my wife. I don't get overtime, either.

Doing the job right the first time and preventative maintenance keep me employed and in my warm bed at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.